Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hand Held Priming (Junk) Tool

Losing_Sanity

I bought me a new Priming tool, since my old one was warn. Figured it's time for an upgrade. Got me the Hornady Hand Held Tool Item #0500021. What a piece of crap. I've only used it 3 times and spent most of my time trying to unjammed it. The tolerances are so sloppy, the primer gets jammed. One time the primmer even went off trying to get it free. Don't waste you money! Guess I'll have to get me a different one...

Interesting that their hand primer uses RCBS shellholders. Looks like most hand primers get just ok reviews. I seem to remember the old version Lee hand primer is probably one of the better designed hand primers but that looks to have changed recently.

Been using this one for the past 10 years. Works awesome and doesn’t use shell holders. Simple to switch between small rifle and large rifle primers also. I’d definitely recommend it.

It seems to have some pretty good reviews. I'll take a closer look at that one. My old one, which they don't make anymore, was an RCBS and I really liked it. I was expecting more from a company like Hornady.

Interesting that their hand primer uses RCBS shellholders. Looks like most hand primers get just ok reviews. I seem to remember the old version Lee hand primer is probably one of the better designed hand primers but that looks to have changed recently.
Yeah, it comes with 2 plates, one for RCBS which I used and one for Hornady. I should see if I get the same results with the Hornady one. I'll have to get a different shell holder... :unsure:

I have 3 of the old style (round) Lee hand priming tools. No problems with them, none whatsoever in 30 years of use. I don't know why Lee changed them.

Granted I've only had it for like a year and a half, but the Lee hand primer that came the kit seems to work great. In fact I think its the only one of the original accessories that I haven't upgraded.

I have one of them and it works great, never had a problem with it. Use the proper shellholder and there will be zero slop if you set up the plate for the respective size primer. Use the rcbs plate with a hornady shellholder which is wrong and you will get results that are like what you are describing.

I have one of them and it works great, never had a problem with it. Use the proper shellholder and there will be zero slop if you set up the plate for the respective size primer. Use the rcbs plate with a hornady shellholder which is wrong and you will get results that are like what you are describing.
Yeah, I double checked it every time it screwed up and I was using RCBS shell holder with the green primer case. I don't even have a Hornady shell holder, so there is only a 50/50 chance of mixing them up. And I have never used the black primer case. Don't care for it at all...

I've been using a Frankford Arsenal Perfect Seat hand primer for over a year now and I couldn't be happier. It is easy to set up and use plus, it provides the ability to adjust the depth of the primer seat. It is well built with no noticeable slop in any of the moving parts. Best of all, it comes with all the shell holders and includes a nice case that holds everything. I used to do all priming on press but much prefer the FA hand primer.

I have the RCBS that uses the shell holder from the press. I really like it much better than using the press itself to prime the old fashion way.

I have 3 of the old style (round) Lee hand priming tools. No problems with them, none whatsoever in 30 years of use. I don't know why Lee changed them.

I've been using the old Lee round primer tool over 30 yrs also. No idea why the change. Have never had a problem with it. Well that's not true. The lid has worn enough it doesn't snap on good anymore, I just live with it. I've also got the little RCBS die type tool that mounts on the press. It's only draw back might be you have to load one primer at a time. Years ago I had the RCBS primer seater that attached to the press and had primer tubes. Never had a problem with it either other than trying to sit in front of the TV and prime case's. I think some people over think the process thinking the tool doesn't do what they think it should even though it does what it was designed to do! I don't know that the Lee tool is best but then other than the other two I've used, I've no experience with the other's at all. Somehow I can't imagine they don't work like they were designed to. Face it, most have been on the market much to long to be junk!

Somehow I can't imagine they don't work like they were designed to. Face it, most have been on the market much to long to be junk!

Hmmm... Problems with tool, and other products are not always operator error. I am sure that some folks who owned a Ford Pinto thought it was a great vehicle, while other thought it was crap. None the less you bring up a good point about being on the market as long as it has. I don't know why it is, really if you look at other reviews besides mine. Midway USA (Click Here) gives it a resounding 2.9! I should have looked at the reviews before I bought one. My Bad! Would you go to, say a Surgeon with those reviews? Some stuff just hangs on and gets bought for the price. Some people don't mind the occasional jam or fighting with it for 30 minutes for a 10 minute job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back