Hand gun hunting elk and antelope

oleefish2

Well the 358 win has spoken again. First I killed an15 inch antelope at 200 yards. I hit him high behind the front shoulder. It went into the back bone and traveled 10 inches before exiting the left hind quarter. Needles to say he was done on the spot. He must have been a goat with an attitude, because both of his cutters were broken off. They would not have been that big but o-well.
My bull elk was taken at a range of 285 yards on a steep down hill angle. He was hit high shoulder and exited bottom of the chest cavity. He also never had an idea what happened. He is not huge but scores 319 before deductions. Not bad for a 6x5. When I get pictures back I will try and scan and post them.

As always I was using my 358 win lone eagle with 180 ssp hornady, in front of 48.0 gr of h322 with an oal of 2.71. I shot a group at 100 yards last week that was .71 inches. Of course then I came back to reality and made the next on1.5 inches. oleefish

Congratulations on the bull and the 'lope. That shot on the elk was pretty far for a .358, even from a rifle! I like the 225 gr TSX bullets from my rifle. I get a bit over 2500 FPS with them from a 21-inch barrel.

Let's see those pictures!

Oleefish.. long time no hear. Glad to see you're still around bud !!!

Kudos on the pistol once again !

Well Moosie I am still alive and kicking I guess. At 50++ I took a little hike with a moose hunter a couple of weeks ago, and we cover 20+ miles in two day. I do have to say the recovery time need has increased but I'M still dancing.
We still have 2 cow tags and another bull tag to fill.
Well I have heard that rumor about the 358 before, but I have to say that after 20 + animals and no bullets recovered all complete pass throughs they must work ok. I have only had to shoot one animal more than one time and that was not the guns fault.

Well no pictures yet. My friend that had the camera said he will get one to me when he gets them done. I was very suprized when a friend that does taxidermey rescored my elk. I used a regular tape and just added as we went through the points and came out with 319. He used the 1/4 metal tape and did it on an oficail form and came out with 326 4/8 with 30 1/8 D for a net of 296 3/8. L 146 6/8 R 145 6/8 IS 34 sorry for SPelling olefish

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back