Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hammocks for backpack hunts

NCArchery

Anybody on here use hammocks for lightweight backpack hunting elk? I was looking at the Hennessy hammocks thinking the take down and set up would be quick and easier as you don't need level ground. Also, cut air mattress weight. Thought about giving it a try on a So. Colorado OTC archery hunt this sept

I have a Hennessy hammock. I love mine and sleep great in it. I got it for a backpack elk hunt and take it on every hunt now. Great for a midday nap when its hot at base camp.

I have a Hennessey and like it. If you've never slept in a hammock before they tend to sleep cold. You may still want your thermarest between you and the cool evening air circulating underneath you.

Yeah,I caught the Colorado reference.You will be comfortable in your swing bed....but mostly because you are in comfy Colorado.Hammock sounds like a good option,any mosquito concerns? I considered the notion years ago,but prefer sleeping in difficult spots for bear visitors.

That looks like a pretty cool hammock shelter in their video. I have used a hammock on an Elk hunt and liked it. They do sleep cooler than sleeping on the ground though for sure.

That's what I thought. I think I may pull the trigger on one after the initial releases pass the test.

EDIT: I guess I thought for that price it would include a hammock. I'd have to really think about spend $400 for a hammock setup.

Last edited:
Check this one out if you are considering a hammock setup: http://www.junglehammock.com/product/clark-north-american-jungle-hammock/

I have used this specific model hammock on several backpacking trips, including my Wyoming archery elk hunt last year. We got a bunch of rain and almost a foot of snow one night on that hunt and the hammock kept me dry and warm along with my 0 degree Big Agnes sleeping bag and a Big Agnes insulated air core pad.

I sleep much more comfortably in my hammock than I do on the ground in a tent and I have never been cold in it.

Check this one out if you are considering a hammock setup: http://www.junglehammock.com/product/clark-north-american-jungle-hammock/

I have used this specific model hammock on several backpacking trips, including my Wyoming archery elk hunt last year. We got a bunch of rain and almost a foot of snow one night on that hunt and the hammock kept me dry and warm along with my 0 degree Big Agnes sleeping bag and a Big Agnes insulated air core pad.

I sleep much more comfortably in my hammock than I do on the ground in a tent and I have never been cold in it.

That looks pretty slick. Just curious what you did to keep your other gear dry during the snow storm, I see it has storage pockets but they don't seem large enough to hold much but maybe that is deceiving.

Thanks for link

The pockets underneath the hammock are quite large and are sectioned off - there are 3-4 pockets on each side of the hammock. I put all of my clothes in the pockets on the side that I enter and exit the hammock for easy access. During the snowstorm, I had all my clothes in the pockets and everything else in my backpack, which I then placed directly underneath my hammock along with my boots. The rain fly is large enough to protect you and your gear underneath it during a storm.

The genius of the pockets underneath the hammock is that when you put your clothes in them, it helps to keep you warm from the cold air circulating underneath the hammock. I still always use a Big Agnes insulated air core pad when I sleep in my hammock, but the pockets definitely help to keep you warm along with the fact that the hammock is fully enclosed. As I mentioned, I have never been cold sleeping in my hammock and I have used it in some pretty low temps.

I have a Clark and Hennessy. Both have merits. The big Agnes bag with pad sleeve is the ticket to keep your pad under you. Don't skimp on the fly size

Attachments

• o 2006 029.jpg
    o 2006 029.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_20140711_101958.jpg
    IMG_20140711_101958.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:
Here are a couple pics of my Clark's jungle hammock pre-snow, in the early snow, and in the much deeper snow on my Wyoming elk hunt last year. You may not be able to tell in the pic, but my Dad's tent did not hold up so well in the deep snow (it was crushed by the weight of the snow)

Attachments

• WY Elk Hunt 3.jpg
    WY Elk Hunt 3.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 986
  • WY Elk Hunt 5.jpg
    WY Elk Hunt 5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 964
  • WY Elk Hunt 8.jpg
    WY Elk Hunt 8.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 939
Nice Pictures do all of yall use a pad? or do some use an underquilt? i have a Skeeter beater and im looking to get into hammock hunting ( I already do the hunting part) and what size fly do yall reccomend for hunting? name and size would be helpful. I'm piecing my setup together slowly (read $$$$). any help would be appreciated thansk and God Bless and Good hunting!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back