Hammock - pros, cons, options, thoughts...

I spent 4 months in a hammock in the Amazon jungle. For hot weather, there's nothing better. Just need to sleep diagonally with support under your knees. In cold weather I prefer a tent but I haven't tried the new blankets that wrap around the hammock.

I just can’t figure out the diagonal thing. No matter what I feel like my hammock just swallows me up in a cocoon of material.

I just can’t figure out the diagonal thing. No matter what I feel like my hammock just swallows me up in a cocoon of material.
Some materials and designs do that. I used a couple of different styles but these weren't the ultralight hammocks. The ones I liked the best had a flatter pocket and less stretch.

I bought a used Hennesey Ultralight Backpacker 1 lb 15 oz. in 2006 and have slept in it maybe 120-140 nights. It's still in great condition. Use with a 3/4 length z-lite (accordion style) thermarest. Only ditch this pad if overnight low is above 70 degrees. It has more in common with a bed than with a traditional hammock. The weight of your body stretches the material to a level, flat plane. Hard to explain how it works, but once you crawl in it's like you're floating on a cloud. I'm a side sleeper and find this position most comfortable in this hammock, but can also sleep on my back to change it up. Set it up high enough and I use the space beneath the unit to sort through the belongings in my pack, and store gear (minus food, which is hung and/or bear proofed).

Pros:
-most comfortable way to sleep of any method, backpacking or otherwise
-light
-compact
-easy to set up
-easy to find places to set up (use boulders if there are no trees)
-great for hot weather
-excellent ventilation
-dries out super fast
-dark

Cons:
-If the rain fly is up, you can't see what's around you once you're in it
-can leave "burns" on bark of sensitive trees when setting up
-poor choice for below freezing weather, as it sleeps about 10 degrees cooler than a tent
-velcro entrance can come partially open if you are a restless sleeper (I'm not)
-not a good option if you like space. It's very cozy (I like confined spaces)
-if you're tired or sore, you really don't want to get out of bed early the next morning!

Everyone says you need the underquilt, but I have slept in down to 20f without one in a 0f down bag. The big key is the pad you use has to be the thicker style and slip inside the bad like the Big Agnes system. It is impossible to roll off the pad when it slides into a sleeve under the bag.

I've camped in a hammock before, but can't see using one on a hunt. I know they make flies that can cover them, but I wouldn't want to spend any time in rain or snow with one, would much rather have the walls of a tent to keep my gear dry. I also find it's helpful to have the tent floor to layout and organize gear.

I've camped in a hammock before, but can't see using one on a hunt. I know they make flies that can cover them, but I wouldn't want to spend any time in rain or snow with one, would much rather have the walls of a tent to keep my gear dry. I also find it's helpful to have the tent floor to layout and organize gear.

I use an Eno housefly tarp which has “doors” on either side. I like this over my ultralight Nemo because I can stand up fully under the tarp and hand tons of room to get dressed, organize gear, etc. I also just clip my pack to the hammock suspension at night so it is held up and off the ground. It’s really nice waking up in a rainstorm and everything on the ground is soaked b my stuff is all dry.

I use an Eno housefly tarp which has “doors” on either side. I like this over my ultralight Nemo because I can stand up fully under the tarp and hand tons of room to get dressed, organize gear, etc. I also just clip my pack to the hammock suspension at night so it is held up and off the ground. It’s really nice waking up in a rainstorm and everything on the ground is soaked b my stuff is all dry.
How do you keep everything dry though if it's raining/the ground is wet? I've seen the tarps before but I never understand how you would go about organizing and keeping stuff dry (no floor to use) if it's raining, especially if there's a breeze.

I +1 all the yesses. If you're a side-sleeper try turning diagonally and you'll lay flatter. Underquilts are a must.
I slept on my side most nights. You will find that you get pressure on your knees. I use a pillow or support for that. When it's 105 degrees and 98% humidity, sleeping in a bed or tent is just not fun. Other than the odd snake now and then, nothing beats a hammock in hot weather.

How do you keep everything dry though if it's raining/the ground is wet? I've seen the tarps before but I never understand how you would go about organizing and keeping stuff dry (no floor to use) if it's raining, especially if there's a breeze.
I clip everything to the straps so when I’m sleeping my pack is hanging under the tarp by my feet and my boots are up at my head end. Wake up and sit in the hammock, put boots on, then get out and stand under the tarp. Organize whatever I need as it hangs, then can either head out or pack up.

House Fly might as well be a floorless 2 man tent with as much room as you've got under it.

Attachments

• 20170818_161252.jpg
    20170818_161252.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
I’ve been using a hammock for backpacking and scouting and it’s been positive experiences. Comfortable sleeping and you save on weight. Get one with a built in rain fly (i have the Hennessy Ultralight) and you are good to go for most of what will be thrown at you at that time of year.

That being said, I wouldn’t use one whatsoever once it got to be September or there was otherwise a risk of inclement weather. Air circulating underneath is freezing cold and you end up needing more insulation than just sleeping on the ground. The wind rocks you back and forth, snow and rain can penetrate, and it ends up not being altogether much of a weight solution once you have to have it prepped to handle weather. Not to mention the lack of gear storage space for protecting you gear requires and additional tarp or something. Can become a bit of a pain especially if you are mobile.

Last edited:
This will be my 4th season running a hammock. I have a cheaper one that I found on Amazon, that came with a bug netting cover. It is the best nights sleep I have had in years. I drape a tarp over the netting, and guy-line it on the corners, to protect from the Oregon rains. It also gives me a spot to tuck my boots and gear out of the weather. I bought a double hammock so that I can take my hound dog on camping/fishing trips. It fits both of us pretty comfy. I defintely recommend either a quilt or a sleeping pad though.

I have been using a warbonnet for about 5 years now I made my own underquilt and I need to now upgrade my tarp, it's too heavy but I like the simplicity of them with built in bug net, very comfortable for me but I had to tweek my set up till I found the right one, I found the key for laying diagonal and sleeping on my side I needed a looser hang I use a 12ft tarp which is big enough to have all my gear under and hung so it stays dry. I like it for back pack hunting but I have never been much below 0 deg so I cannot comment on how good it could be but feel with the right top quilt and bottom quilt it could be as good as a tent with a decent tarp, I have just got enough material to make a lightweight one for my next hunt. I also use a set of amsteel whoopies with dutch clips for quickly setting it all up.
There is nothing better at the end of the day than just sitting out in comfort, regards wayne

Sleeping in a hammock is definitely more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. It helps your back to relax, and you'll notice that your sleep will be deeper. I always wake up well rested and fresh. Also, it's much more easier to transport it during the day than a tent. I always use a polyester rope hammock for this reason, because it's lightweight and resistand to humidityLINK. Of course there are a lot of models and materials, so you can choose something to your taste https://www.thefoothammock.com/rope-hammocks/. Still, my advice is to never sleep on the ground.

Last edited:
I wanted to try a hammock last season but ultimately I went with a bivy. the only downsides I see to hammocks is that it might get cold depending on the weather/material they're made out of. The other downside (for me at least) is that there's so much beatle kill in the area I was hunting that it's incredibly hard to find a couple living trees that aren't within falling distance of some dead timber, pretty sketchy considering some nights there were 30+ mph gusts. I wasn't exactly inspired to try hammocking after the forest road I drove in on had 5 trees down over a 10 mile stretch that weren't there the week prior.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back