Hammer Hunter bullets

338win

Rifle: Christensen ridgeline ti, 300 win

Having trouble getting under moa with Barnes. (Usually get sub moa with Barnes in my other guns). Best in the 300 is .75 moa with 175 gr lrx and 190 lrx are 1-1.5 moa.

Thinking about getting hammers for next year. What are your go to recipes with the 300?

Last edited:
166 HH over 71 grains of RL16

What twist is that barrel? Mine is a one and 10, you might be a little slow to run those heavy coppers.

166 HH over 71 grains of RL16

What twist is that barrel? Mine is a one and 10, you might be a little slow to run those heavy coppers.
1:10. That’s why I dropped to 175 and pushed them faster. Doesnt seem like I’m getting the accuracy that the gun is capable of. The Barnes load data is also leaving a lot to be desired with velocities.

Everyone is raving about hammers and the softer copper alloy has me wanting to see what I can gain speed and accuracy over Barnes.

I would look maybe a little lighter. If you shoot 180 cup and core, think 150 in copper.

Only two animals I have experience with. 3006 with 152 Hunters ans 243 with 70 Hunters. Quick kills and minimal meat loss.
Push them fast.

3500 out of my daughters 243 and 100 yard shot and the bullet held together and went clean through.

1:10. That’s why I dropped to 175 and pushed them faster. Doesnt seem like I’m getting the accuracy that the gun is capable of. The Barnes load data is also leaving a lot to be desired with velocities.

Everyone is raving about hammers and the softer copper alloy has me wanting to see what I can gain speed and accuracy over Barnes.
I use Nosler data as my starting point. Pick a powder on the faster end of burn rate for a like weight cup and core bullet.

Don’t hesitate to call Steve and ask him for starting points. He’s a great guy and a ballistic wizard.

I’d go with the 166-174 range, unless you wanted to play with the 160 Absolute and see if you could break 3400.

Although I laser load light Hammers, I do like the 196HH with RL26 in my 21 yr old Sendero. Easy 1/2MOA. 3150fps makes it a "Hammer"!

I was just looking on the Hammer website. If I were starting from scratch, with your gun, I’d probably give a run at the 178 Absolute Hammer.

Loading them isn’t for everyone. There’s a spreadsheet with load data available. I’d match those with CCI 250 and H4350. Should hit 32-3300.

What more do you need in a hunting rig? Your chasing a rabbit hole and will likely find it’s totally not worth it.
Because I want to feel cool. If I can get .25 moa improvement that will add up at 5-6 hundred yards and I want to get hunger velocity so I can get a better mpbr zero.

I was just looking on the Hammer website. If I were starting from scratch, with your gun, I’d probably give a run at the 178 Absolute Hammer.

Loading them isn’t for everyone. There’s a spreadsheet with load data available. I’d match those with CCI 250 and H4350. Should hit 32-3300.
I read seating is weird in the absolutes. I plan to load to a standard coal and probably use the HHs. I typically use a standardized coal to be able to exchange ammo with buddies on a hunt if needed.(it briefs well in my head anyways)

Because I want to feel cool. If I can get .25 moa improvement that will add up at 5-6 hundred yards and I want to get hunger velocity so I can get a better mpbr zero.
It’s your money, spend away. God knows I have, also found out at the end it was completely not worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back