Caribou Gear

Had to do it! Crimson Trace Series 2.

std7mag

With Midways sale on Crimson Trace scopes, i couldn't see passing it up. (Sorry Schmalts! )

I ordered a Series 2, last night. 4-16X50, FFP, illuminated for $299.

I was looking hard at the Series 5, but I'm a MOA guy.
Will post review after i get it, and after i shoot it some.

Wish I’d got in on that. I don’t like that reticle, or illuminated reticles, BUT a 6-24X FFP made in Japan with ED glass for $299? What a deal!

I've been finding most of my scopes going to an MOA reticle.
MOA is always MOA.
MIL is always MIL.

With Midways sale on Crimson Trace scopes, i couldn't see passing it up. (Sorry Schmalts! )

I got the series 2 as well and it’s a great scope. Heavy but excellent quality.

I've been finding most of my scopes going to an MOA reticle.
MOA is always MOA.
MIL is always MIL.
I like things being in MOA, BUT I like a reverse Christmas tree style, and for hunting, someone really needs to put four heavy bars outside the MOA reticle. The FFP MOA reticles that I’ve looked at are VERY thin on low magnification and they need to have something useful that is very visible in low light conditions at low magnification.

On 6X in low light I don’t give a rip if I can make out all the hash marks, but when the entire reticle almost disappears, we have a problem. Yes, this one is illuminated, but from reviews it’s still hard to make out at low magnification, and I don’t really like illuminated reticles anyway.

What so hard about giving me an MOA style FFP reticle that has 3-4 HEAVY bars outside it so that at very low light I can shoot something that I jump?

The only buck I’ve shoulder mounted would probably not have been collected with a scope that had any disadvantage compared to the one I had. There were three minutes left of legal light, and I shot him with a fixed 6X42 duplex reticle that had an amber filter screwed on for extra contrast in low light. I’ve struggled to see clearly though other scopes at the same time of day, and REALLY struggled to see the reticle with some reticles in the last few minutes.

If you don’t mind it being illuminated, the this scope has the visibility issue covered. For someone like myself, who doesn’t want to use an illuminated reticle, most MOA style reticles fail if they are FFP...which is a shame, because MOA style with FFP is the most logical way to go....JUST PUT SOME HEAVY BARS OUTSIDE THE MOA STYLE RETICLE!!!!!

Last edited:
I fully understand, Bill.
We want what we want.
This is the first, first focal plane scope i've gotten. Heck, thinking about it, i don't recall ever looking through a FFP scope before.
Last year while doe hunting, i arrived in the parking area on a gasline while still dark. I got my gear together waiting on light.
When it was light enough to use, i spotted 3 does with my binos. Range finder had no problem picking them up at 328 yards.
Legal hunting time came, i took my gear about 30 yards and set up for a shot.
Looking through the scope, i could see the deer, but not the reticle. Had to sit and watch them walk off, into the woods.

The Crimson Trace scope I got from Midway is holding up to all the recoil my .300 has dished out, so far.
I am getting used to the reticle.
Don't like how easy those turrets move though. Going to put a dot of paint above the zero, as a quick visual check.
It's the 2-series 6-24x56 34 mm tube.
Hard to find low profile rings for that set up on most bolt guns.

Try a taller base.
I use EGW one piece bases. The height of the base allows me to use low rings with up to a 50mm objective.
I have medium rings with my Sightron SIII 10-50X60 using an EGW 20 MOA base.

Correction...
I just checked. They are Warne low rings with the SIII.

Last edited:
I had to use medium rings on my model 70. Low wouldn't give bolt clearance.
But on my Howa ,the medium rings were way to high. I found a set of low rings and they are just what it needed. But it was tuff to find low 34mm rings in stock. Most companies don't even carry them. Many manufacturers don't make low profile 34mm rings.
Most rifles will very likely need the low profile.
Iron rings are what I could get. They seem well made though. But I personally have no experience with anything made by Riton.

I fully understand, Bill.
We want what we want.
This is the first, first focal plane scope i've gotten. Heck, thinking about it, i don't recall ever looking through a FFP scope before.
Last year while doe hunting, i arrived in the parking area on a gasline while still dark. I got my gear together waiting on light.
When it was light enough to use, i spotted 3 does with my binos. Range finder had no problem picking them up at 328 yards.
Legal hunting time came, i took my gear about 30 yards and set up for a shot.
Looking through the scope, i could see the deer, but not the reticle. Had to sit and watch them walk off, into the woods.
That’s one of the good things about a duplex...you can always see it.

I’ve never hunted with a scope whose reticle I could not see in the dark. I did spend an afternoon shooting pdogs with an FCH-dot, and while getting ready to leave at dusk, I saw coyote that needed to be shot, and the reticle completely disappeared.

Well, work has been NUTZ!
Instead of the four 10hr days, been working six 10hr days.
Scope arrived when Midway said it would. No complaints there.
Packaging was nice.
Scope seems solidly built. Heavy!
The elevation & windage knobs move freely with positive clicks you can hear & feel.
The paralax knob is a little stiff.
The light level knob for the illumination is VERY stiff!

Glass is very clear. Gonna go out on a limb, and say more clear than my Sightron SIII.

The first focal plane is gonna take some getting used to. All i've ever owned up to now has been second focal plane.

Playing with the illumination, even when turned to it's brightest setting doesn't flare out the hashmarks.
Was surprised when i had it on and the sun came out that the illumination went away. Neat!!

Now i need to decide which rifle to put it on.
Thinking my 7mm Rem Mag, but waiting on the new one piece 20MOA base & Keystone rings from EGW.

Japanese ED glass is good stuff. I picked up a Series 5 at Midway....They are going for $599. I really like it, so going to mount it on my semi-custom Tikka build when I get done with it.

I like things being in MOA, BUT I like a reverse Christmas tree style, and for hunting, someone really needs to put four heavy bars outside the MOA reticle. The FFP MOA reticles that I’ve looked at are VERY thin on low magnification and they need to have something useful that is very visible in low light conditions at low magnification.

On 6X in low light I don’t give a rip if I can make out all the hash marks, but when the entire reticle almost disappears, we have a problem. Yes, this one is illuminated, but from reviews it’s still hard to make out at low magnification, and I don’t really like illuminated reticles anyway.

What so hard about giving me an MOA style FFP reticle that has 3-4 HEAVY bars outside it so that at very low light I can shoot something that I jump?

The only buck I’ve shoulder mounted would probably not have been collected with a scope that had any disadvantage compared to the one I had. There were three minutes left of legal light, and I shot him with a fixed 6X42 duplex reticle that had an amber filter screwed on for extra contrast in low light. I’ve struggled to see clearly though other scopes at the same time of day, and REALLY struggled to see the reticle with some reticles in the last few minutes.

If you don’t mind it being illuminated, the this scope has the visibility issue covered. For someone like myself, who doesn’t want to use an illuminated reticle, most MOA style reticles fail if they are FFP...which is a shame, because MOA style with FFP is the most logical way to go....JUST PUT SOME HEAVY BARS OUTSIDE THE MOA STYLE RETICLE!!!!!
Yea they dropped the ball by not putting in reference bars for the lowest setting. I have the 5318 model. I can read the numbers at 5 power but not three. I tried a snapshot on 3 power in the sage in bright daylight and I was able to see center ok.

I purchased two for my budget builds a couple of months ago ...

Crimson Trace 2 4-16x50 x two.jpg
Crimson Trace 2 4-16x50 1 of 3.jpg
Crimson Trace 2 4-16x50 2 of 3.jpg
Crimson Trace 2 4-16x50 3 of 3.jpg

Try a taller base.
I use EGW one piece bases. The height of the base allows me to use low rings with up to a 50mm objective.
I have medium rings with my Sightron SIII 10-50X60 using an EGW 20 MOA base.

Correction...
I just checked. They are Warne low rings with the SIII.
Maybe check Talley one piece rings as they seem a little taller than others, JMHO

Maybe check Talley one piece rings as they seem a little taller than others, JMHO
Don't need them.
Got some low EGW Keystone seies of rings.
These things are seriously over built!
2.25 ounces each.

I really need to get out & shoot with this thing!
But not allowed to yet after the carpal tunnel surgery.

Update...

I had planned on this scope for my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag.
And after taking it scouting with me a few times, it's coming off.
Several reasons.
1) it's HEAVY! Throws off the balance of the rifle and just adds more weight than i want to carry for miles.
2) I'm really not liking the FFP for the woods. At low power, i can't pick up the reticle against a back drop. My old eyes need it set to 10 power to be able to pick up the reticle.
3) the illumination is light sensitive. Meaning if the scope thinks there is enough light out, it doesn't illuminate.

Those are the bad of it.
The good.

Really clear glass! I mean right up there, possibly better than my $1,100 Sightron SIII.
Turrets are really good! Nice audible & tactile clicks.

So i'm now at the crossroads of sell, or keep.
Leaning towards keep to put on my 284 Win for shooting 400 yard matches.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back