Caribou Gear Tarp

H.O.A. Dues....

Moosie

Grand poopa
Am I a prick ? Or is this Email justified ?

Hey guys,

I own the home on ##### @@@ St. (rental). I got a bill in due Jan 31 for $200 which I didn't pay right away (I'll admit).

I did however paid you last month the $200, 1 month and 13 days late and it looks like I got tacked on an extra $25 for being late. (12.5% late charge.. or $150%APR... OUCH !! )

At any rate, I do not plan on paying the $25 late fee. If you want to keep billing me, you can send me Emails instead of mailing me Invoices. Stamps and paper are expensive and you will not recoup the cost by sending me "reminders" every month via snail mail.

Hopefully we can remove the late fee. If not, Please put a $25 Lien on my place. Thanks in advance.

~Oscar T. Williamson II

If I forget to mail a payment on time and get a late fee, or if the mail gets delayed, the payee will usually waive the late fee, but I start off asking nicely first. If they say "no," then I tell them if I have to pay the late fee, I will close the account.

I guess you can't do that in this case. A month and a half late? Yeah, you are a prick. Expecting all your neighbors to carry your freight and pay the Assoc's bills while you skate? :eek: ;)

I'd be prick enough to get a small claims judgment against you, record the judgment and let it gather interest until you wanted to refi or sell if I got a letter like that.... :D :D HOAs are always a pain in the ass, but you knew it was there when you bought the house, right?

I don't believe there's bill associated with HOA, usually the money is put in an account until such time it's needed for street repairs, maintenance, or in my case beer.

It all depends on what is provided and if there are common areas to be maintained. Any security gate? Common area landscaping to be watered and mowed? (Jose's cousins.) A community pool or park? Lighting?

It's a Rental Subdivision.... I'm not real worried. truth be told, I might give that rental back to the bank (Unfortunately :eek: ). Jsut trying to do my American Borrowers duty :eek: At that point, a $25 lien wouldn't upset me ;)

Moosie, as much as I hate to say it. Pay the $25, you were late, its in the agreement. Your the one that elected to buy a property in a HOA.

I got a late charge on a UPS account because I was arguing a bill with them, and when I sent the payment it was late. The late charge was $1.16 cents I wrote the check for one dollar and sixteen f****ing cents. They cashed the check.

BigFin....how was that..I didn use the word. LOL

........The late charge was $1.16 cents I wrote the check for one dollar and sixteen f****ing cents. They cashed the check.

Doing good Whiskers, doing good. ;)

If the subdivision HOA owns and operates the water system, they could turn off your water. If the subdivision is served by a city water system, about all they could do is file a lien.

I feel for ya Moosie. Been there done that. I won't be living anywhere with an HOA again. Too many headaches and life is to f***ing short (looks like Whiskers is rubbing off on everyone.:D)

HOAs are a pain in the azz. Get a couple of idiots on the board and they can make ownership/membership a nightmare. I refuse to be in one. My dad was in one once. In 7 years, the dues went up ten fold.

If not, Please put a $25 Lien on my place.
As a credit manager, I once held up the sale of the every T.G.I Fridays on the west coast for a week because of a $37 dollar bill they had refused to pay. Funny story, but the point is, if you signed it, it can come back and bite you.

I'm not really gunna worry about my Credit for about another 7-10 years anyways probably .... :(

it is crazy. I have a Borrower right now that doesn't wantto settle up for a couple hundren $$ and his Credit reflects it. It will cost him THOUSANDS in hits because of his Credit score. Tough deal. Sometimes even a couple buck lien will hit you like a 100k lien !!!

Moosie, as much as I hate to say it. Pay the $25, you were late, its in the agreement. Your the one that elected to buy a property in a HOA.

I got a late charge on a UPS account because I was arguing a bill with them, and when I sent the payment it was late. The late charge was $1.16 cents I wrote the check for one dollar and sixteen f****ing cents. They cashed the check.

+1

You're a smart man Moosie. You signed-up for it! Pay it! Wouldn't you expect someone who signed an agreement with YOU to honor it????

Kind of a crappy thing to back-out on an agreement of any sort, don't you think??? ;)

S.

:)

I didn't sign up for a $25 (12.5%) 1 month late fee..... But at least I know now.

If you guys sign up for something, at what amount are you willing to "just pay". ? What if it was a $100 late fee ? I understand the "Do the right thing" crap you guys are trying to sell, but let's look at it from both sides.

You didn't sign-up for the $25 (12.5%) late fee? So what the hell did you sign-up for then? It's a totally different story if you didn't sign-up for it. Did they just pull the $25 out of their behind??? I'm thinking you signed-up for it without really paying attention to it Moosie.

To answer your question regarding; at what amount am I willing to 'just pay'??? If the fee was $100, then I would pay that IF THAT'S IN THE AGREEMENT! And if it's not in the agreement, then what is? Does the agreement say that the HOA board has the right to charge what ever amount they pull out of their butt and see fit? If so, then tough for you. I will pay what I signed-up for. Nothing more, nothing less.... Simple as that.

Regarding the 'do the right thing' crap, I'm thinking you really do understand it. Why else would you be posting here trying to get validation for not paying??? You know what the right thing to do is.... ;-)

Respectfully Moosie, I wouldn't want to be the poor business man who someday might sign a contract with you..... ;-)

S.

:)

PS: To answer your initial first two questions; A) I don't know if your a prick or not. ;-) B) No, the e-mail does not seem justified to me.

The covenants might say what the fee is, or, it may have something like "HOA is allowed to charge reasonable expenses to reimburse HOA for collection efforts on delinquent accounts".

I am guessing $25 is "reasonable" if somebody had to look at the thing more than once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ca_centralcoast_hunter
Back