Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gun Pron Wednesday- Shut up & take my money edition

Pretty-pretty...You should snag it Ben...Able has ammo for about .50 per round.

....selling is about phrasing.

If it's available in May, it might be taking the big brown truck of happiness to Montana. With that tacky pad and the refinish on the stock, it might even be a good candidate for re-chambering and lengthening the forcing cones.

One thing that's long amazed me is how light some of these old shotguns are compared to current day ones. A sub 6# 20ga would be a peach.

I can't open the link due to being blocked from gun sites at work. However, the Benelli Montefeltro in 20 gauge weighs in at about 5 3/4# if I remember right....

One thing that's long amazed me is how light some of these old shotguns are compared to current day ones. A sub 6# 20ga would be a peach.

My Browning Side x Side feels like a club compared to some of the older guns I've handled and it's 7 1/2 pounds or so. A friend has a William Ford 12 gauge that's right at 6 pounds. Crazy.

Curvebow:

It's a German made 16 gauge w/ 2 5/8's chambers weighing at 5 pounds & 13 ounces. 28 inch barrels, both choked cylinder. Since is seems to have a refinished stock and a poorly done decelerator pad, it could be a good candidate for a refinishing project, perhaps even lengthening the chambers.

100676097_401_69A921FE08A4D2EE.jpg

My Browning Side x Side feels like a club compared to some of the older guns I've handled and it's 7 1/2 pounds or so. A friend has a William Ford 12 gauge that's right at 6 pounds. Crazy.
An outdoor writer from Montana is who opened my eyes to the discrepancy. The two guns I remember him mentioning are the Winchester 1897 and a Simpson Suhl. He credited/blamed the Win for the weight of current shotguns saying that it set the mold at 8#. The Simson-Suhl SXS he turkey hunted with was a shade under 7#.

An outdoor writer from Montana is who opened my eyes to the discrepancy. The two guns I remember him mentioning are the Winchester 1897 and a Simpson Suhl. He credited/blamed the Win for the weight of current shotguns saying that it set the mold at 8#. The Simson-Suhl SXS he turkey hunted with was a shade under 7#.

If anyone is looking for a Merkel, but not wanting to spend $4K, a Simson is the same gun, just with a different name. Simson was one of the largest firearms manufacturers in Germany and also made automobiles, bicycles, etc. The owners were Jewish, and forced out of the country by the Nazi's in the mid-30's. If you have a pre-war Simson that is marked BSW, you have a fine firearm, made in defiance of the Nazi regime. Same goes with a proven 1936 or earlier Simson.

Great guns. I regret daily passing on a light little Simson 12 gauge O/U that was under $1K.

If you really want to drool: http://www.hillrodandgun.com/invent.php

Not sure how the later ones compare to the pre-WWII ones, but they can be had for under $1K. They are on my "someday" list...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back