Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gun Dog Vest - Yes, No, Maybe So?

JTHOMP

I put a vest on my dog for the first time. Part of the reason was to keep her belly a little more protected from briars, she stays scratched up. But mainly to have orange on her now that it’s deer rifle season. Thought I bought the best of both and first time out a stick caught her under the vest and poked a hole through her skin. Maybe it would’ve happened regardless but I really think te vest caught the stick and either out right was the main cause or at least held the stick to her side instead of it brushing past her had she not had the vest.

In hind sight the front of the vest could’ve been tighter, and I had room to make it more snug. I originally didn’t make it tighter because I was afraid of how it would rub her legs. While there is less drag now that it’s tighter I still see the possibility of it catching a stick again. So now I’m at a cross roads.

Do I continue to run the vest tighter, look for another vest, or keep running no vest? Here’s the current vest for reference.

C7886F02-4A54-417C-91B9-60E945BE6F58.jpeg
CB626574-AFCB-4F68-8E44-75D7C8279891.jpeg

Last edited:
Seems like bad luck to me, but hard to know for sure. I've been using the same vest for about 5 years, and have never had an issue with things catching, but others may different results?

Attachments

• DSC_3894.jpg
    DSC_3894.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Seems like bad luck to me, but hard to know for sure. I've been using the same vest for about 5 years, and have never had an issue with things catching, but others may different results?

Guess that’s the 4th road of the crossroads. Maybe just a freak accident that comes with a dog in the woods.

Moose always has his vest on while we are in the field. Not much belly protection, but it’s mostly for high visibility. It’s a ruffwear vestF675BA5A-1EB3-4312-8394-146A87653D9A.jpeg

I put vests on my Airedales not so much for protection, as for visibility during hunting season. Doesn't keep some a$$hole from shooting at one of them, but it wouldn't be by accident.

I have two for my Fr Brittany. One neoprene for very cold weather and a Skid Plate for warmer weather. Skid Plate is mostly designed to protect belly. Best for hot conditions as it is less likely to overheat the dog. Stuff does get caught under the neoprene vest and she will tear at it if I don't get it off as soon as she gets in the vehicle. Not a problem with snug fitting Skid Plate. Where I hunt I am not much worried about the dogs getting shot. They are always very close. Another reason to avoid long ranging dogs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back