Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Guide recommendations for MT spring bear (not full blown outfitter hunt)?

CORN

I'm attending a wedding in May of next year in Missoula, hoping to get some bear hunting in while I'm out there. Other than having a bear tag in my pocket while hunting mulies in CO, I've never done any Western bear hunting, and was considering hiring a guide to increase our odds. Anyone have experience or recommendations for MT spring bear guides that aren't associated with an outfitter?

There will be 3 of us out there (one of whom is mainly along for the experience, doesn't particularly care whether or not he gets a shot at a bear). Search results on Google mostly come up with all inclusive outfitters who put you up in a nice lodge, cook your meals, etc for ~$4k per person. That's a little more than I'm able to spend right now, so was hoping to find a guide who operates independently from an outfitter. No frills type deal where we are responsible for our food and lodging (/camping).

Open to backpacking in or staying in town and getting early starts to hike into glassing spots. Hopefully within a few hours drive of Missoula. Any guide recommendations or other suggestions appreciated!

I'm attending a wedding in May of next year in Missoula, hoping to get some bear hunting in while I'm out there. Other than having a bear tag in my pocket while hunting mulies in CO, I've never done any Western bear hunting, and was considering hiring a guide to increase our odds. Anyone have experience or recommendations for MT spring bear guides that aren't associated with an outfitter?

There will be 3 of us out there (one of whom is mainly along for the experience, doesn't particularly care whether or not he gets a shot at a bear). Search results on Google mostly come up with all inclusive outfitters who put you up in a nice lodge, cook your meals, etc for ~$4k per person. That's a little more than I'm able to spend right now, so was hoping to find a guide who operates independently from an outfitter. No frills type deal where we are responsible for our food and lodging (/camping).

Open to backpacking in or staying in town and getting early starts to hike into glassing spots. Hopefully within a few hours drive of Missoula. Any guide recommendations or other suggestions appreciated!
I'd look at Cody Carrs operation in Plains for your first hunt. After you learn what your doing you can do a DIY every year. Cody is a great guy. As stated there are no guides that are not affiliated with outfitters as it is illegal in MT.

Good luck. Guides usually don't want anything to do with somebody unless they want the full experience. Why? Because they make more money doing it that way. They don't want to invest all the time, money, and energy into somebody that only wants certain amenities (tell me where the bear is) when they can instead have somebody on their books that is paying for the full experience.

If it was me I would go DIY but to each their own. There are bears everywhere in western Montana. Learn as much as you can about them and get after it.

Like lion chaser said guided hunts in MT can only take place through a licensed outfitter. If you are searching for an outfitter on a $4000-or-less budget and hunting on public land you are likely to get ripped off-glorified pickup truck ride at best. Call up/email the FWP bear biologist asap for the area you would like to hunt and they will give you excellent advice…if they get back to you in time. If you don’t mind camping and hiking and you can take care of the hide and carcass don’t waste your time and money with an outfitter.

If you are interested in going 2 hrs west of Missoula I know a guide that can get you guys in under the $4k mark and hunts over baits and with hounds. PM me if you want more info.

I'd look at Cody Carrs operation in Plains for your first hunt. After you learn what your doing you can do a DIY every year. Cody is a great guy. As stated there are no guides that are not affiliated with outfitters as it is illegal in MT.
That’s the first time I’ve ever heard something good about that guy…

"MT spring bear guides" implies Montana bear license, Smart-ar$e! "2 hrs west of Missoula" on gnarly forest roads is still in Montana. (Who wants to go hunting on the interstate highway?!!)
Fair enough, he did say MT. I only mentioned because sometimes people don't know how close ID is (plus the bear tags are $45 and you can buy two). Two hrs west over Lolo pass puts you in the thick stuff, not the interstate by any stretch.

Back