Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

GSP vs English Pointer

RyeGuy74

I'm looking into getting into pointing breeds, I've only ever had flushers, for pheasants. I'm just looking for any advice or experience people have had with GSP or English pointers. Does anyone recommend one over the other? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm much like you. Wanted to get into a pointer after hunting pheasants with a golden retriever. I landed on a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Reasons why this breed over others:
- GF had one growing up. She likes minimal shedding. I was leaning toward a GSP but I heard they *can* shed quite a bit.
- Temperment. Through other online resources, I learned GSP and GWP can be a little more "rowdy" (for lack of a better term) where as the Grif isn't.
- I like the idea of a closer working dog. I like to take my time and enjoy the outdoors, so this hunt style will fit me. With waterfowl on the horizon, a versatile breed was the way to go for me.
- Breeder. I met a breeder not too far from me who sat and talked and answered any and every question I had. Hung out with his dogs who were just as happy to sit next to me on the couch as next to him.

Last edited:
Grew up with 3 generations of English pointers beginning with a pup my father bought in Georgia just prior to Deployment to Vietnam in the '60's. From then until 1992 we had the same bloodline of grade dogs who honestly were more about hunting deer than birds. In the 90's my father got his first of outside bred dogs and we have seen a wide variety of personalities. The latest being Rip. Probably the most naturally talented dog on birds, but the most aggravating dog off the field ever...

The hunt drive is INSANE in these English pointers. Until a dog is in double digits in age all they want to do is run and find stuff to point. Without constant exercise they will destroy anything they can get ahold of. And by exercise I mean 6-10 miles of running a day. There is a reason they do field trials on horseback, because they cover that much ground. If you are an ultra marathon runner or Endurance trail rider, an English pointer will be your constant trail buddy. But you better invest in an e-collar because they will let their nose override their ears much the same way a treeing hound would. English pointers usually have intact tails and some will beat it bloody from constant wagging. If the dog is in the house it will clear every coffee table in seconds flat...

The GSP's I have seen seem to have been selected for more obedience and also tend to be finer boned. There are definitely some with personality issues and it is important to find a bloodline that has good family traits. Many of my friends have GSP's that are part of the family. But don't think they are as docile as any of the labs or retrievers.

If you can hunt BIG country and want a dog who will range an EP will have the drive and will be tough enough to cover the country. (Think Hancock QH's if you are a cowboy) The GSP's might be better suited to smaller preserves where precision is more important. If you are anal about obedience and directing your dog, a GSP from the right breeder may be a better choice. If you want a Huntin' SOB that will go 4 miles to find the next single, I feel like the EP might be your kind of dog. There are more GSP's out there I feel.

Now granted my father seems to pick alpha males and is rather lax on obedience. He wanted a dog to range far for our unique california deer drive hunting style. As he slowed down, and Gator aged, they were able to settle into pheasant hunting as well...

11709510_10207121736750481_3125641023971563513_n.jpg

10489633_10207121737790507_3236123521105290955_n.jpg

321810_3190879619582_1967972756_o.jpg

46988_1576530941874_7406739_n.jpg

46988_1576531141879_2544344_n.jpg

1476334_10202491696802376_1845768305_n.jpg

73533178_10220402556202667_5766212986104446976_n.jpg

Dad slowing down at 73

12113443_10207828717064547_7702145489901645120_o.jpg

If retrieving is important to you (drop a rooster in the middle of a river, jump shoot ducks, etc) the GSP is a better choice.
I hunt with a friend in big Snake River canyons and the GSP is excellent for big chuckar/huns/pheasant/quail
hunts where we have a 8-10 hour circuit to walk by the end of the day.

The difference within a breed is bigger than the differences between the average of each breed. That being said, I'd go with the GSP. GSP's are generally more versatile than EP's.

The GSP is really that much better than the English pointers?
EP's are awesome hunting dogs. Some are great pets as well. IME, on average the novice trainer will have an easier time finding a GSP that they can train, have productive hunting and have a well mannered house dog than they will finding a EP that fills that bill. This is not an absolute. Plenty of excellent EP's that meet these criteria but on average I think GSP's are easier to find. YMMV

EP's are awesome hunting dogs. Some are great pets as well. IME, on average the novice trainer will have an easier time finding a GSP that they can train, have productive hunting and have a well mannered house dog than they will finding a EP that fills that bill. This is not an absolute. Plenty of excellent EP's that meet these criteria but on average I think GSP's are easier to find. YMMV
Said better than I could...

Gsp guys are gonna say Gsp and ep guys are gonna say so. If you have specific questions about GSPs feel free to message me and I'll be happy to address questions the best I can

Attachments

• 20200320_161941.jpg
    20200320_161941.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
lot of ep blood in many lines of gsp, and everybackyard breeder has gsp, ive had over 100 dogs , pointer breeds, over the years, last 8 yearsi have german wirehairs, swim like a lab, point hard, retreive great, come in the house and sleep, not sharp at all, i have white short coat dogs, just came from running my female ran 6 miles, 21 mph average, hunts 10 yards to 500 yards depend on cover,, you get what you pay for, do your research, check feet, nose, brain,,,

This is one of those hard to deal with German Wirehaired pointers that don't settle down

Attachments

• 20200314_190303.jpg
    20200314_190303.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
The last seven years I’ve been guiding with GSP’s got a lot of offers for my dogs. As noted they need to be run. I’ve run tracking collars on my dogs had them routinely turn in 25 to 30 miles a day.
Much is said about GSPs being high strung for family dogs, not my experience. Ep do have a lighter coat, something to consider if you hunt warm country.
Mine are well socialized. They also spend the summer with me in Alaska, adopting a new group of clients every week.
As much as they are great hunters and pets, they are hell on bears. Miss Sugar will alert but keeps her distance, Molly will flat get after them, she has actually bitten a couple of Grizzly. Once we start seeing bears on a daily basis they will sit on the deck all day just waiting for a bear to come by.

Attachments

• D53AD16D-9594-4D32-A53F-FAADCB7D9A81.jpeg
    D53AD16D-9594-4D32-A53F-FAADCB7D9A81.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • B0A5B66C-A8CC-4303-BD5E-BDAD1A613760.jpeg
    B0A5B66C-A8CC-4303-BD5E-BDAD1A613760.jpeg
    854.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 9DD45976-6D20-447D-992A-465C4803E9DF.jpeg
    9DD45976-6D20-447D-992A-465C4803E9DF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • C3AA7DED-F9C6-4863-91A5-3777C9869220.jpeg
    C3AA7DED-F9C6-4863-91A5-3777C9869220.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • C0EF451F-DFF5-4273-8391-65572B4B910A.jpeg
    C0EF451F-DFF5-4273-8391-65572B4B910A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • A1A59086-2433-4EBA-85E6-1F07D0378EE2.jpeg
    A1A59086-2433-4EBA-85E6-1F07D0378EE2.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
lot of ep blood in many lines of gsp, and everybackyard breeder has gsp, ive had over 100 dogs , pointer breeds, over the years, last 8 yearsi have german wirehairs, swim like a lab, point hard, retreive great, come in the house and sleep, not sharp at all, i have white short coat dogs, just came from running my female ran 6 miles, 21 mph average, hunts 10 yards to 500 yards depend on cover,, you get what you pay for, do your research, check feet, nose, brain,,,
What he said; you get what you pay for and a good dog will give back relative to what you put into them.

Lots of good input on this one. I have a DK and a weim. I have been into bird dogs for 10 years. Guys are absolutely right to recommend researching specific lines within the breed once you have narrowed down your search. There is a ton of variation within the breed. I wanted a short haired dog that would do it all and looked extensively before settling on my girls. The differences I noted are:

1. Range-Usually EPs have greater range and work faster. Not an absolute truth, but on average. So how do you want to hunt your dog? On foot or horseback? What type of cover and how much ground do you need to cover to find game.
2. Retrieving- Your average GSP is a better retriever than your average EP.
3. Waterwork- GSPs are usually better waterdogs than EPs. I have seen multiple GSPs place in open retriever trails against all breeds, but never an EP.
4. Fur- Continental bird dogs were not really bred to be "bird" dogs. They were more of an anything that moves type of dog. In general GSPs are "trashier" than EPs. Mine are just as happy to point rabbits, raccoons, foxes, etc... I don't see it as an issue. If they point something I don't want, I call them off and recast them to start hunting again.

These characterizations are born out in the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association hunt test. They evaluate pointing/field search, waterwork, tracking and retrieving. GSPs dominate the versatile champion registry. Though eligible to run, you rarely see an EP listed. But Open horseback AKC trials that only evaluate seach and pointing are dominated by EPs.

I settled on a weim first then a DK (GSPs parent breed), because I wanted dogs that would hunt everything I wanted. I have used them for doves, waterfowl, upland, and blood tracking big game. They are also excellent family members, but I will say I am pretty hardcore on my obedience training. Any bird dog with high prey drive will be a demon as a pet unless you have the basics of obedience covered.

I've had three GSPs. They are amazing hunters and retrievers as well as great family pets. They do have a tremendous mount of energy and are a bit bull headed so you need to establish yourself as the alpha early on and make sure they get lots of exercise. From what I read here the EP has even more energy so either way make sure you know what your getting into. My wife asked me the other day if I ever think about getting another short hair and I told her I don't think I have the energy for one any more.

I have a 4 month old GSP and everything I've read about them being high energy and having a great nose is true. She is constantly following her nose and walking her on breezy days into the wind is something to watch. Very excited to take her out this fall.

Gsp guys are gonna say Gsp and ep guys are gonna say so. If you have specific questions about GSPs feel free to message me and I'll be happy to address questions the best I can

And Brittany guys, me, are gonna say Brittany. And so on and so forth for other breeds. Just so much depends on what you are looking for. I like Brittanies because I'm in the suburbs, have a small yard, so the dogs spend a lot of time inside. I have to admit, if I was more patient or if I had a bigger yard I'd be really keen on GSP's. And if I lived in the country and had a biiiigggg dog yard I'd have EP's. But don't tell the Brittanies laying at my feet I said this!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back