Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ground blind tips

renello

Ground blinds are gaining popularity and rightly so. They are an awesome tool.

Bigrack

Without watching the video, I don't know if it's true or not, but I've been told that if you want to use one for deer hunting that you should set it out several weeks before you plan to use it so that the deer get used to seeing it there. Deer may tend to be leery of strange things in their space if it looks or maybe smells different.

Make hunting better by adding 4 walls and a roof? No thanks.

Without watching the video, I don't know if it's true or not, but I've been told that if you want to use one for deer hunting that you should set it out several weeks before you plan to use it so that the deer get used to seeing it there. Deer may tend to be leery of strange things in their space if it looks or maybe smells different.
It really depends on the herd and how spooky they are. I’ve set those things out and killed deer out of them the same day. Mature bucks do take notice and may be more weary for sure.

I like the tip about wearing black.
It works. I always wear black or dark green when I sit in a blind, also keep as much sunlight out as possible. I crack the window just enough to poke my rifle out. I’ve had deer as close as 5 yards and even had a cow stick it’s head in and look at me.

I've used them with success, killed a decent buck for this area a couple years ago at 5 yards. Dark clothing helps, I prefer stands but little ones and/or lack of good trees make them a useful tool. If possible put them out early and let them sit for a few days if possible.

I have brushed ground blinds in so that you can barely see them. They have their time and place. If you haven't watched the video then you really shouldn't even comment.

It really depends on the herd and how spooky they are. I’ve set those things out and killed deer out of them the same day. Mature bucks do take notice and may be more weary for sure.

If you have a field where they regularly come out to eat they can be wary if things seem different. I've been told this by someone experienced in the matter. Of course it's not guaranteed to be black and white either way as you have mentioned. I've watched deer feeding unfazed with a farmer plowing cornstalks 100 yards away.

If you have semi-exclusive access to the hunting ground for the season that's one thing. Hunting it for the day then ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Last edited:
Back