Yeti GOBOX Collection

Grizzlies Continue Into Idaho

Losing_Sanity

The article only refers to 1 bear. It's not like the north central Idaho wilderness areas are suddenly swarming with grizzlies.

There was another bear documented in the Selway Bitterroot this year. That bear, a young male, has a tracking collar and after spending the summer wandering from the cabinets to the selway-bitterroot south of Lolo pass he returned to his point of origin in the cabinet mountains. An incredible trek. These two bears are the only confirmed cases of Grizzlies in this part of Idaho since 1946. Roughly calling the area south of Highway 12 an area.

In 2007, a third bear, a sub-adult male was killed just north of Lolo Pass.

That leaves this trail camera bear near Elk City as the only known grizzly in central Idaho at this time. There could be more but until there is a sow with cubs it doesn't mean much for establishing a population.

I agree that grizzlies should be delisted and we should have a limited season on them, but the purpose of hunting will not be to prevent grizzlies from reaching central Idaho. Even if limiting expansion were a stated goal I doubt it would be successful in the long run. And having that as a goal would definitely impede efforts to delist which as mentioned above is already going to be a long battle in the courts to accomplish.

If we want to hunt grizzly bears in Idaho, or Montana and Wyoming for that matter, then the sooner there are bears in Central Idaho the better. A major part of the contention is that the bears in the Yellowstone region are disconnected from other populations. Although in Montana the gap between the Yellowstone population and the Northern continental divide population is shrinking every year. The Bitterroots represent the greatest potential for linking the different population segments. Documented bears in this area (especially females with cubs) would strengthen the position for delisting.

As for the bear that is focus of this article, I am very curious of its origin. I'm surprised that no effort was made to collect hair samples for genetic testing. The 2007 grizzly had wandered all the way from the Selkirks, based on genetic analysis. The collared bear as mentioned hailed from the cabinet range population. I wonder if this bear came from the north or from the east.

It is kinda cool thinking that at some point in my lifetime, I could have the opportunity to apply for a grizzly tag in the lower 48. I’m sure there are lots of guys on this site like myself that can’t afford a guided hunt but are drooling at the thought of that kind of adventure maybe being possible some day. Someday maybe.

It is kinda cool thinking that at some point in my lifetime, I could have the opportunity to apply for a grizzly tag in the lower 48. I’m sure there are lots of guys on this site like myself that can’t afford a guided hunt but are drooling at the thought of that kind of adventure maybe being possible some day. Someday maybe.
Dream on

The article only refers to 1 bear. It's not like the north central Idaho wilderness areas are suddenly swarming with grizzlies.

There was another bear documented in the Selway Bitterroot this year. That bear, a young male, has a tracking collar and after spending the summer wandering from the cabinets to the selway-bitterroot south of Lolo pass he returned to his point of origin in the cabinet mountains. An incredible trek. These two bears are the only confirmed cases of Grizzlies in this part of Idaho since 1946. Roughly calling the area south of Highway 12 an area.

In 2007, a third bear, a sub-adult male was killed just north of Lolo Pass.

That leaves this trail camera bear near Elk City as the only known grizzly in central Idaho at this time. There could be more but until there is a sow with cubs it doesn't mean much for establishing a population.

I agree that grizzlies should be delisted and we should have a limited season on them, but the purpose of hunting will not be to prevent grizzlies from reaching central Idaho. Even if limiting expansion were a stated goal I doubt it would be successful in the long run. And having that as a goal would definitely impede efforts to delist which as mentioned above is already going to be a long battle in the courts to accomplish.

If we want to hunt grizzly bears in Idaho, or Montana and Wyoming for that matter, then the sooner there are bears in Central Idaho the better. A major part of the contention is that the bears in the Yellowstone region are disconnected from other populations. Although in Montana the gap between the Yellowstone population and the Northern continental divide population is shrinking every year. The Bitterroots represent the greatest potential for linking the different population segments. Documented bears in this area (especially females with cubs) would strengthen the position for delisting.

As for the bear that is focus of this article, I am very curious of its origin. I'm surprised that no effort was made to collect hair samples for genetic testing. The 2007 grizzly had wandered all the way from the Selkirks, based on genetic analysis. The collared bear as mentioned hailed from the cabinet range population. I wonder if this bear came from the north or from the east.

Sometimes I get frustrated on forums because it's hard to tell who knows their shit, and who's posting for the sake of posting. Then sometimes I read a post like this that makes me realize it's very obvious when someone actually knows the subject and understands the historical significance.

Great post.

I am very much looking forward to the first grizzly I glass up or get on trail camera in the Great Burn/Selway/Bitterroot.

Update to this story.

It turns out that IDFG did take a hair sample from the area near the trail camera and confirmed that this bear is from northern Idaho very near the Canadian border (either a member of the Selkirk or Cabinet population). The bear was captured and collared in 2017 and is now a 4-yr old. His collar fell off in 2018.

Then this just came out.

Grizzly tracks were just found near Grangeville, Idaho. This is approximately 20 straight line miles west from where the trail camera images were taken. This is very likely the same bear and hair samples were collected to make that determination.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back