grizz protection, sidearm or pepper spray ?

I have ben bluff charged by a grizz once in my life and had another friend mauled.
An all I can say is THEY COME FAST.
I carried a Ruger 44 mag BH for years in the woods in case I got knocked over by a grizz and lost my rifle(as what happened to Bram).When I got charged by the grizz I had little to know time to even point my rifle,I did how ever draw that 44 fast and got one shot off in front to stop the charge.
I now carry a Stroger Caoch gun in 12 ga,it is not much more heavy and after awhile you get used to the weight in your hand.
I still pack a pistol elk hunting in bear country,it's my piece of mind.
BBJ

Pepper spray is like hot sauce on chicken wings.

Yep, my boss was telling me how the 44 mags just bounce off the skull at point blank range.....nope.

Hey Green, did you ever take a look at the Taurus Ti 41 mags. Those are SWEET little guns. I'll end up with one someday, quite a bit more powerful than the 357's but way lighter than any 44's.

That is the one i am looking at, 20oz of magnum.... ouch, i dont think i would shoot it for "plinkin"

Reply from an expert

I'm no expert on it, so I asked a friend in Alaska who is a bear guard part-time, brown bear guide and fishing too, one of the most accomplished bowhunters I've heard of, as experienced as they get. His name is Frank Sanders. I asked about bear protection and handguns.. here's his response:

As far as the gun goes I bought a 454 and don't hardly carry it because of the weight so I'm selling it and buying a Titanium .44. Many say a handgun like a .357 or .44 is useless but I think they would change their minds if a brown bear was putting the wood to them! The thing that is most important is that it is very readily accessible. I think that witrh the weight difference I would carry the .357 with the hottest solid loads you can get. If you have a bear problem it's going to be point blank and just shoot for the head. A guy dropped a charging med-size brown here last year with a 9mm!!! The fact that you can get to it fast is what really matters so take some of the money you save and buy a good holster.

No doubt. I know they are big and all, but I've just seen toooo many black bears drop flat with a little twitch from head shots.....357's, 41's, 44's and yeah, even a 22 pistol. Boom, lights out.

Just gotta make that first one count!!!

Do the bears poke around in them goat rocks I'll be in ! :0) :0)

Here is one i just purchased, i will let you know how it shoots in a couple of weeks..
product-details.cfm

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back