Yeti GOBOX Collection

Great Plains Traditional Archery

JV842

I recently went down the rabbit hole watching their YouTube videos and now I want one. I currently hunt w a compound set up but used to hunt w my pop’s old Bear Ranger. I’m really liking there SR Swift takedown but my question to y’all is… does anyone out there have any experience w their bows, are they any good, is the “juice” of a tuned/custom/recurve really worth the “squeeze?”

I’ve never owned one of their bows, but I’ve heard good things about them. There are tons of good traditional bow companies out there.

I think the company has switched hands in the past( I could be wrong on this ) but I have only heard good things about their bows. I would like to pick one up some day. There is a company in CO that sells a lot of trad stuff and they may have a used one for less.?

I think the company has switched hands in the past( I could be wrong on this ) but I have only heard good things about their bows. I would like to pick one up some day. There is a company in CO that sells a lot of trad stuff and they may have a used one for less.?
Thanks for the info. I’m looking to do a full custom, something that I can pass down n it be a family heirloom. They actually already answered an email I sent this afternoon; pretty impressed w that being a Sat. I’m wanting mesquite and cedar being my family’s farm and ranch is west of San Antonio and also cocabola, I love the figure and color of it.

If you're interested in a custom bow, I would suggest checking this site. I had a Silvertip takedown built with 2 sets of limbs. It's a great shooting bow you would not be disappointed.

Thanks for the info. I’m looking to do a full custom, something that I can pass down n it be a family heirloom. They actually already answered an email I sent this afternoon; pretty impressed w that being a Sat. I’m wanting mesquite and cedar being my family’s farm and ranch is west of San Antonio and also cocabola, I love the figure and color of it.
If you are in San Antonio, do yourself a favor and make it to some of the Traditional Bowhunters of Texas shoots (there's one in Dallas in two weekends at the Cowtown Archery club, and if you want to come to that I'll loan you a bow to shoot for the day). Show up, ask guys to try out their bows, and figure out what you really like. Heck, you'll get some shooting advice along the way!

I also always recommend a beginner starts with a cheap, low poundage ILF bow. You can swap limbs as you get stronger, and hopefully avoid the bad habits that come with being overbowed. Once you're a decent shot, and know what you like in a bow, then you look for a custom that fits YOU.

I shoot a Great Plains SR Swift take down, 47#. I can highly recommend this bow. It has a nice weight and is very smooth. No its not the fastest bow I've ever shot but it launches a 560 gr arrow close to 190 fps. I've met the owner/builder and he is a good guy. He will work with you to build a great personalized bow. I shoot quite a bit in 3D tournaments and as a hunter.

If you are in San Antonio, do yourself a favor and make it to some of the Traditional Bowhunters of Texas shoots (there's one in Dallas in two weekends at the Cowtown Archery club, and if you want to come to that I'll loan you a bow to shoot for the day). Show up, ask guys to try out their bows, and figure out what you really like. Heck, you'll get some shooting advice along the way!

I also always recommend a beginner starts with a cheap, low poundage ILF bow. You can swap limbs as you get stronger, and hopefully avoid the bad habits that come with being overbowed. Once you're a decent shot, and know what you like in a bow, then you look for a custom that fits YOU.
This for sure.

Thanks to all responses. I went to the local archery store n shot quite a few different styles. N I went ahead w the SR Swift takedown in a 60”
They r going to do it w cocabola, mesquite, n cedar w antler tips. Left it up to them on the layout being they r the artists n craftsman.
I’ve been bowhunting since I was 13; I’m 52 n started w an old 6 wheel bear white tail hunter, but only used a traditional for a few years back in the early 90s.
Can’t wait to get back into it again and will be bugging all of y’all for advice!!!
One question I do have is….I used to shoot instinctive and was proficient but I saw a YouTube video last night…”The Push” and he talked about shooting “fixed crawl”
Anyone use that method…..pros/cons?

Thanks to all responses. I went to the local archery store n shot quite a few different styles. N I went ahead w the SR Swift takedown in a 60”
They r going to do it w cocabola, mesquite, n cedar w antler tips. Left it up to them on the layout being they r the artists n craftsman.
I’ve been bowhunting since I was 13; I’m 52 n started w an old 6 wheel bear white tail hunter, but only used a traditional for a few years back in the early 90s.
Can’t wait to get back into it again and will be bugging all of y’all for advice!!!
One question I do have is….I used to shoot instinctive and was proficient but I saw a YouTube video last night…”The Push” and he talked about shooting “fixed crawl”
Anyone use that method…..pros/cons?
Congratulations! I'd recommend going no heavier than 42-43lbs with that bow or it will become a frustration to shoot. You will not want to use a fixed crawl with a short recurve like that unless its a tiny crawl (think less than 1/4" down the string). This is one of the reasons I often recommend starting with ILF. You can change the tiller of the bow to accommodate a crawl without damaging the limbs. A long wood/glass recurve with the right tiller can usually handle smaller fixed crawls, but it is changing the tiller outside of optimal. This affects limb timing, and will at best make the bow louder, and more hand shocky. At worst it can damage the bow.

Congratulations! I'd recommend going no heavier than 42-43lbs with that bow or it will become a frustration to shoot. You will not want to use a fixed crawl with a short recurve like that unless its a tiny crawl (think less than 1/4" down the string). This is one of the reasons I often recommend starting with ILF. You can change the tiller of the bow to accommodate a crawl without damaging the limbs. A long wood/glass recurve with the right tiller can usually handle smaller fixed crawls, but it is changing the tiller outside of optimal. This affects limb timing, and will at best make the bow louder, and more hand shocky. At worst it can damage the bow.
THIS^^^Definitely the answers I was looking for….watching that show I was wondering about the timing n the effect to the bow itself!

I spoke w/ Shane; owner/Boyer yesterday, very personable, he answered any n all questions. He also asked questions about shooting style, what I plan on doing w the bow, grain broadheads, etc, so he could incorporate this into my bow.
Very impressed

Well, she’s in the finishing room!!! Shouldn’t be much longer!!! I’ve been in contact w the bowyer throughout the entire process, which has been amazing!! I have a ton of pics but will give y’all a very rough teaser!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back