Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Grandpa's Gun

Northwoods Labs

My grandpa recently passed on his first deer rifle to me. He shot his first deer with it near Merrill, Wisconsin and kept it all these years. Its a Winchester Model 94 30-30 lever gun. He said he thought the serial number dates it back to 1945. I might take it out during our December antlerless hunt as it would be pretty special to bag a deer with his old rifle. I've never owned a lever action before and it hasn't been shot in years. I am not extremely gun savvy so maybe I will have a gunsmith check it out before shooting it.... For now it will probably hang up above the fireplace.

DSC02505 (2).JPGDSC02506 (2).JPG

Love it. I have the Model 94 my grandpa bought right before he enlisted for WWII.

Good stuff! I’ve got a pile (5 or 6, including whatever that Garand knockoff is) of my great-grandpa’s old shotguns and .22s that are in very poor shape and might be beyond restoration. Luckily, there are two in good shape... my dad shot a dandy 10 point with GGpa’s 300 Savage- it’s first use in 35-40 years. The other is a Remington 12 gauge that needs a thorough cleaning, but should otherwise be fine.
Old guns are fun, especially with history.

That is a VERY nice 94. Classic caliber in the gun that introduced it. Can't beat that. If the barrel is decent, you are in business.

Shoot it just like it is, or surf Ebay for an OLD Marbles tang sight to put on it. But as it is, it would be my #1 deer/elk rifle if it were my grandpa's.

Damn thats cool. Family along on hunts via heirlooms is one of my favorite things.

I shot my first deer with my grandpas 30-30 model 94, and although the gun isn't technically mine yet(Dad brought it down for me to clean a few years ago, and its not made it back yet) it lives in my safe. I never got to meet my Grandfather for he passed 6 years before I was born but it a great feeling knowing hes hunting with me when I take that rifle.

My wife has a similar one dated from the 1950's. It will be our Son's someday. He isn't interested in hunting, but does enjoy the occasional trip to the range. Good luck, I hope you are able to score a deer with it. I am fortunate enough to have several rifles and shotguns from my Grandfather's collection, as well as a couple from my Great-Grandfather. They are are all treasured family heirlooms.

I have a similar 3030, my grandpa, my dad, and I all shot our first deer with it.

northwest labs. that is so very nice.

we have two and maybe three firearms that have now been used by 6 generations--my grandfather, father, myself, son/daughter, grandson/granddaughter"s, great-grandson

that is a very nice rifle northwest labs. Congratulations., and please accept my condolences for the loss of your grandfather

This a timely thread as I just spent some time at the local range this past weekend with my great grandfather's Model 94 30-30 that was manufactured in 1916. It's currently my dad's rifle, but I'm planning to take it out deer hunting this season. Something about hunting with a 100+ year old family heirloom has me as excited for this deer season as my first deer hunt years ago.

Good luck this season!

The familial bonds that come with those heirlooms really comes to life when you are engaging in the same activities that your grandfather did, with his firearm. I hope to bag a booner doe this December. :)

Very nice. I have one that's very similar, early 1950's vintage. My Dad bought it off an older gentleman and gave it to me as a gift several years ago. The original owner bought it as a young man, but then spent a career in the military so it sat in the closest for the last 60 years or so and was only taken out for occasional cleanings. The only thing I dislike about it is the 30-30 chambering...seems sort of bland to me for some reason. I tend to like more unique calibers, but it's still a nice rifle.

I have shot a few deer with my grandfather's Winchester Model 54 .270. From what I can gather, it was made in 1927.

That rifle will shoot just fine. It is in beautiful shape. I have a couple .32s, in that year range that just sit in my safe, as my eyes do not do well with open sights, now. I loaned one to a friend last year, to shoot a mulie doe.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back