Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Graceful Wapiti

"How many of you seen this hunting".

Mostly just the dirtbag "sportsmen" that are parked in the middle of the road, rifle blazing away across the hood of the F150, with their bud cluelessly filming on his smart phone.
Maybe the two hairballs actually in hot vehicular pursuit along the fenceline, just hoping/waiting for the poor bastard bull to hop the fence to the "legal" side of the road.
Or even better: four fat guys in two pickups, a 1997 Sooby driven by a college kid hoping to score before his Econ 204 class at 10AM, and a father and son in a Blazer - dad "teaching his kid how to hunt".
And maybe two astounded middle aged ladies standing outside a game wardens truck, watching the free for all - asking the warden if it's actually legal to chase elk with a pickup.....

All of which I've witnessed - bulls along the road, hunters at our best...................................

But make sure you beware those "anti's":ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Hey he didn't hesitate to give the second fence a try!

I've seen a coyote do this although I think he managed to get an extra flip in

Hey he didn't hesitate to give the second fence a try!

I've seen a coyote do this although I think he managed to get an extra flip in

I grew up on a farm in Masters, Colorado and my family used to run the old Masters post office and store. We used to see coyotes get caught up in the fence and sometimes die. We shot as many as we could because they were dangerous to chickens and calves. Masters is barely a town anymore.

Smooth top wire fences end up getting mashed down by livestock grazing over the top of them, and end up not being very good at containing said livestock.
My fathers-n-laws sentiments as well... the debate rages in our family lol

My fathers-n-laws sentiments as well... the debate rages in our family lol

I grew up on a farm and my dad and uncle never liked smooth wire fencing. They installed barb wire or electric fencing. Anything less does get knocked down by livestock.

Good argument for a smooth top wire.
First off, barbed wire did not cause him to fall. He blundered into the wire-whatever kind it was. If anybody is upset about barbed wire on the top wire, there is only one option that really works. Cut the top wire, where the elk regularly cross. Slide a piece of pvc over the wire and then fix the wire. The elk can SEE the top wire, now, and if they drag their feet going over, the pvc rolls. You see miles of it in Arizona on crossing points.

First off, barbed wire did not cause him to fall. He blundered into the wire-whatever kind it was. If anybody is upset about barbed wire on the top wire, there is only one option that really works. Cut the top wire, where the elk regularly cross. Slide a piece of pvc over the wire and then fix the wire. The elk can SEE the top wire, now, and if they drag their feet going over, the pvc rolls. You see miles of it in Arizona on crossing points.
It’s one way, not the only way. I was told what I saw was an elk slide, whatever it’s called it is two top rails installed in a shallow V at the elk’s crossing point in a barbed wire fence. The ones I saw led from a hayfield to a bedding area and a creek and were used regularly by the elk. I’ve seen entire barbed wire sections torn down to the ground when the crossing is a migration route.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back