Gps

fair2middlin2003

Heading to Colordao this fall for elk and I plan on going pretty deep if able. I was wondering what GPS you guys would recommend? Money being tight I am looking for the best value I can as well. Been researching the Delorme and Garmins I read about in another thread but I am just unsure which units are best and what they come preloaded with. Doesnt do any good to spend a hundred less for a unit if I have to spend $150 for extra software for it. I figure having sat or aerial view capabilitys would be a great plus as well for spotting and finding the parks. Any suggestions?

Garmin. Do a search on their site and see side by side comparison of features. Thatvwill tell you what each comes loaded with pretty quick.

Going deep you need detailed maps, hard copy, which is all you really need in addition to the stated desire for a gps. A bonus and worth the money is a gps model with mapping capability. You can download free maps to puton a garmin, bur $100 or so per state a top notch product such as Huntinggpsmaps.com provides is worth it if the wallet can take it.

Once you decide on a model google for that
model to find a sale somewhere and buy it on the cheap.

Thanks Khunter. I have gotten a map of the GMU from mytopo and have downloaded some more detailed maps of specific areas inside the GMU I hope to check out. I figured a good GPS with topo and aerial shots would allow me spot parks but also get me in and out in the dark when visibility is gone. Was leaning toward the Oregon by Garmin but liked that the Delorme PN 60 came with topo and sat view if I am understanding things right. Went today to 2 sporting goods stores to try both out and neither store had anyone that knew anything about either. Didnt know crap about any GPS for that matter. I left as dumb as when I went in.

The newer Garmins allow you to use raster based maps so I see no advantage to the deLorme units. Couple that with the huntinggpsmaps and i see garmin as the only way to go.

The gps units that come with maps loaded for entire US are usually just the more generalized approximately 1:100k equivalent maps which is handy but not good enough, IMO, for detailed navigation work especially on a backpack hunt. Thus the reason you need to buy an additional map set for a state of interest that gets you closer to 1:24k detailed data.

All the various oregon models with a " t" at end of model number have US 100k mapping on board. I use that map set some on my 400t. But really use the more detailed gpsmaps.com for hunting once I leave the truck. Only reason I pay for that product versus very good free maps from gpsfiledepot.com is the need for public versus private land ownership mapping. If you do not need that for your hunt aa you could download free maps at gpsfiledepot.com for colorado to save money this year as you spend on other stuff like the gps. However if you are totally unfamiliar with GPS units and uploading/installing maps it may be worth te hundred bucks to get an easy to install and superior product.

Garmins are far more popular than delorme. There is a good reason. Also if you get a garmin, you wil run into tons of folks familiar with them that can help you get familiar with valuable advanced features and usage, IMO.

For me, the aerial maps are more useful at home on your computer before the hunt than out on the trail. Google earth for armchair scouting and to make some marks on your maps, or makiing waypoints and tracks for your GPS that you can then use while hunting...

Last edited:
The newer Garmins allow you to use raster based maps so I see no advantage to the deLorme units. Couple that with the huntinggpsmaps and i see garmin as the only way to go.
I did not realize that Garmin supported rasters! That may be a bit of a game changer for me. How well does something like a hunt unit boundary display in a raster? All the raster's I've worked with have been largish in scale and all are polygons.

Though I've not looked at one while on the ground, the screen shots I've seen of the PN-60 it appears that the preloaded software has pretty good land ownership detail. It looks as good as the 1:100K maps you can buy from the BLM. IMO, that's a plus.

Wow! You guys are way above me. Reading these posts make me feel pretty stupid. I have never messed with the mapping capabilities of the gps, but I will definitely agree that Garmin is the only one as far as I am concerned.

I always have used hard maps to decide where to go and then just used the gps for waypoints, distances, returning to downed elk and FINDING MY TRUCK again!!

Great info.

A lot of good info. I think Garmin it is then. How do you guys like the 62 st verses the oregan? I got so much stuff running through my head preparing everything from boots to optics that its pretty overwhelming. Its a big difference hunting from the whitetail and turkey hunting I am used to in the appalachians. Any boot would work and distance very seldom went over a couple hundred yards. If you SOMEHOW got turned around all you had to do was walk down hill to the nearest road. LOL

I am wondering as well if I have to download more detailed maps of the area I want to hunt if I shouldnt just buy a plain Oregon or 62 etc and use the money savings to pay for the better grade maps. What do you guys think about that idea?

Here is the best price I have seen on a Garmin 62st for some time - $459.99 at Amazon.com.

Amazon - Garmin GPSMAP 62st

ir

Also on sale at Cabela's right now, for $10 more, or $469.99. If you have Cabelas credit card points, it might be even less. ;)

Cabelas - Garmin GPSMAP 62st

Or, $499.99 at Bass Pro

Bass Pro - Garmin GPSMAP 62st

I have used the 62st for two years. It is by far the best unit I have ever had. I was also sent a unit from Delorme to give a test run, the same as the Garmin loaner I am still using. Delorme was just not as intuitive and the selection of map chips was less, when compared to the Garmin. Maybe I didn't give the Delorme a fair shake.

We have used the 62st extensive in the show. I have a chip for every state. It is built for exactly what I do in western hunting.

When we did the AK bear hunt and were using skiffs on inland waters, I bought a marine chip for my 62st and it worked better than the GPS system that came with the boat we rented.

Very good on battery life, if you keep the backlight off. Very good at picking up and maintaining satellite reception. And, more features than you probably will use.

As was the case with my 60CSX, the 62st is almost bomb-proof.

It might be out of the price range you were looking for, but it will be an investment that will last for years and be versatile enough to use in many different applications.

Thanks Fin. It is more than I wanted to spend but in the end if I bought something I would replace in a couple years it would end up being more anyway. Lot of info and new equiptment to learn and get used to before October. Love the shows btw.

1 pointer, I haven't added any raster maps yet. You save geo referenced jpg's as a kml and put them in the custom map folder of the garmin from what I have read.

I'd say the best investment would be the maps from HuntingGPSMaps. It will shock you how helpful they are. Also, I'd can rasters if you have to pay for them. Print out some satellite images of where you think you'll be for free at work. I use a Garmin Rino 530HCX and the thing ROCKS. If you don't care about the radio capability then use something that HuntingGPSMaps will work on and don't worry about the top of the line model. If you can track, add waypoints and use that software you'll be ready to rock.

Someone mentioned bringing hardcopies with you...definitely do that. You never know what could happen and they provide a great overview of the entire area.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back