Caribou Gear

GPS Units

Speeddmn

I'm looking into buying a handheld gps unit. I dont want to break the bank but I do want something nice. Simplictic is best, I'd like to set my camp as a waypoint, and as i hike press a button or something that would allow me to again set way points so I can find my way back. Guess that seems like all of them. Also an external slot for memory card would be a bonus, or least a way to update/add maps. Or do they come loaded for all the US? I really dont know much about them. If you have a good one, please let me know pros or cons. Thanks folks!

For the money I'd get aGarmin 630Hcx Rino, the new ones are touch screen, not a fan, but pre 2013 models w color screen, it has a built in 5W radio and a feature to see others in your hunting party on your screen, found one refurbished for $250, if you hunt the net you'll find one. accepts microSD for sotware such as HuntingGPSmaps that shows topo, propery ownership, ect. Its a priceless piece of equip IMO

Totally agree about the Garmin Rino, especially if you're hunting w/partner (s) who also have them. Easy to stay in contact and easier to get to if you need to.

Garmin 550t, this is a great GPS, one of the features I like is that you can take a picture of your car or tree stand or whatever and it logs it into a way point. You can also pull them back up and show a buddy when describing a location. I believe as of this year it is a discontinued model so you should be able to get it at about the cost of their entry level models

http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-Oregon-550t-Handheld-GPS-Unit/product/10201808/

Last edited:
The garmen 62s just went on sale at Cabelas from $349 to $219. Might pick one up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back