Gov`t atv use!

cjcj

Well how about it, our G&F, forest service,blm.etc. all use Quads from time to time, are they "all" lazy "FAT ASSES" on ATV`s? Do they use them as a "tool" in your state? My guess would be yes.

I used them when working with a cadastral survey crew a few months ago. Yes they were used for cross country travel to get the equipment where it needed to be. Hunting and work are different things, IMO.

BTW, this was on Indian Trust Land, so I couldn't have been there any other way.

Thank you 1 pt. for your honesty, sometimes you are truly a breath of fresh air! Buzz what agency do you work for? Do they use quads/atv`s?

cj, I work for the USFS, in 15 years the only time I've been on a quad was to certify in their use, but I've never used one to complete any work.

I would though, if it would save tax dollars to do so. The problem with them, is I'd have to request them and then somehow get them 5-6 hundred miles to my location, they're all stored in one location. Then, you have to drive slower because you pull the things, load them, unload them, gas them up, etc. etc. etc.

By the time all that happened, I could have hiked to my work site quicker and cheaper.

I did use snowmachines one winter to access a timber unit (marking blowdown), not much choice with 60 inches of snow on the ground.

I have no problem with them being used for work, but I find them unpractical in my situation.

Guilty as charged, we use AVT's often in my office. Some of the activities included mapping prairie dog town perimeters (although I have walked the edges in wilderness areas
eek.gif
), weed control, mapping allotment fences, wildife inventory, etc...

Obviously it is a very useful tool to conduct business in our office.

Could horses or wagons be used instead of the ATVs? Would that have less environmental impact? Is the impact less on the ground because they are used for work and not hunting?

I applaud you sticking to your convictions, Buzz.

I see lots of ATV's in the backs of forest service, f&g, and BLM trucks. I seem to see alot of them in private timber company trucks too...... Do you think that the trails these guys make might get followed by others??????

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Could horses or wagons be used instead of the ATVs? Would that have less environmental impact? Is the impact less on the ground because they are used for work and not hunting?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, but as financially strapped as our office his, feeding/caring for horses is too expensive. The imediate impact would be less using horses and the impact is the same whether hunting or working.

One of the reason`s that i brought this up was just to make a point that if gov`t can use them "properly" then why can`t some hunters/sportsman do the same? I saw some forest service guy`s using them a few years ago, they were pulling a trailer full of fencing/supplies etc., they were heading straight into the forest, no roads no trails, i asked them what they were doing and they said they were fencing off certain trees/vegatation for "study". and from what i could tell they didn`t tear up anything.

I think your drawing a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. One is in sheer magnitude. There are definitely more non-workers riding them than workers. In addition, I'd bet on average that the worker is a bit more conscientious about their riding/damage than the Average Joe. Most all picked that line of work for a reason, to protect a resource.

Back