Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

got snow @#)(#?

T Bone

Has anyone out there hunted for snow @#)(#? They consider it the ultimate upland bird. Thinking about making a go of it this fall.

Got this off of "Nevada Adventures"

This report was filed by NevadAdventureS Field Editor, Jim.

The rarest game bird in North America: The Snow @#)(#

High in the Ruby Mountains of Northern Nevada, outside of Elko, thrives a wary natured game bird known as the Himalayan Snow Partridge. The Ruby Mountains are similar to their native habitat which is the snow covered peaks of the Himalayas. The Partridge thrive in snow covered peaks of 10,000 to 11,000 feet in elevation.

The Nevada Department of Wildlife recognized the parallel in 1960 and began a transplant of the Snow Partridge, (also known as the Snow @#)(#), into the rugged, remote area of the Ruby Mountains. The Snow @#)(# has unusually beautiful plumage with white mantels. It grows to be anywhere in the neighborhood of 6 to 11 lbs.

The wary nature of the birds and short hunting season has made the Snow @#)(# one of the most sought after trophies in the Northern Hemisphere. Hunters are limited to one bird in a 30 day hunting season from Labor Day thru the end of September.

The first hunt started in 1980 and up to 1987, only 32 birds were harvested, that's an average of only 4 birds a year. Low harvest numbers attest to the Snow @#)(#'s wary nature and the ruggedness of the Ruby Mountains.

Another factor in the Snow @#)(#'s favor is that it is NOT easy to gasp for breath at 11,000 feet and hit a bird flying down hill at 80 mph!

Be sure to check the regulations on this rare bird and considering the difficulty of locating the Snow @#)(#, a guide is strongly recommended.

Anyone got any pictures??????? :confused:

Dang! Here one is...
f7ddebac.jpg

f7ddebaf.jpg

T Bone
I have friends that have hunted them and they say it's awesome . Physically challenging too , I think they live above 10,000 ft. or something .

Cal Hunter thats funny......

I've talked to people that know people that have gone hunting for them. I've yet to talk with anyone that has harvested one.

They have one mounted down at Marke Fore. Different looking birds. The beak is curved down like bird of prey. They are about the size of a sage hen.

I'll see if I can put together a 3 day hunt for one. If I can get me dog a few hundred yards downwind of one, I imaginine she'd find the bird.

If nothing else, I'll hopefully see some deer, elk and sheep in some awesome country.

One of the biologist is going for them this year for the third year in a row. He says it is about as tough as any big game hunting that he's done! If it doesn't interfere with any other plans I have I may try to free up a three-day weekend and tag along.

T-Bone, I know the man in charge of the snow @#)(#. I helped him trap Sharptails here in Idaho. I have heard that no dog has ever retrieved one! I am not sure if this is true or not. I also have heard that the guides that go after them shoot them over water holes while the bird is on the ground like a turkey. I would LOVE to go after them. They are my all time number one upland dream hunt. Ron

Ron, Ithaca, 1 pointer.

We need to pursue this. Season runs into November. 2 birds per day! LOL.

If not this year, maybe next. I need to talk to the bioligist and find out where in the Rubies he would suggest going.

Mid October would be the most likely for me. If any of you are seriously interested, lets keep this going.

Boy you are talking my language. I would set aside time for next season. This year is tied up. Talk to Sid Eaton, from the F&G. Tell him I sent you and I was one of the guys that helped him trap sharptails up here. I would like to do this! Ron

Ron, I'll pencil in 2005. Hopefully I'll have some good information and experience by then.

Are you in Twin Falls? Its probably a shorter drive for you than me!

Thanks for the contact info. I'll follow up on it

TB, I am in Buhl. That is 15 miles west of TWin Falls. We should do a scouting trip next year as well don't you think? Ron

Is there really a bad time to get your @#)(# mounted :D Seriously, sounds like quite the hunt...now you got me researching these hardcore squabs!

Ron and Tbone- I'll pass along any info the guy in my office shares with me after his hunt this year.

BTW, he's from Buhl, do you know any Arana's??

Back