Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

got a pig question...

californiacoyotes

today i called an outfitter to book a pig hunt in central california. the outfitter's name is cross counrty outfitters. well i'm asking questions and one of the things i asked was if april was a good month to to the hunt. he said yes but that we would have to move around alot. well i got side tracked and started asking something else and when i got off the phone i didn't ask why we'd have to move a bunch or if may would be better. so i'll ask you all. what's going on in april with the pigs and would may be a better choice?

Well an outfitter called me today and I mentioned that I would like to come in April for my sons birthday. He said it is a little harder hunting at that time because every thing is green, so they can pretty much eat almost anywere, instead of a few areas.

John

huntrjon's source hit it on the head....food is everywhere. I use a 150qt. cooler during the summer to cool them quick. Gutem, skinem and if need be cut both hams off and lay them on top of the carcass. Throw a sack or two of ice in the chest cavity. The 150qt igloos are available at costco many times for $49.00 because the latch was molded a little crooked. Hell it doesn't even need a latch.

I like hunting hogs in Arpil and May. The fur is usually thicker than in summer and the hogs tend to have more fat on them. It may just be me, but I thnk they taste better when they've been feeding on green barley and alfalfa than on acorns, too. If you can get a good vantage point in the early AM and spot them as they feed back into the brush, you can put a good move on them. You have to fairly quick, though, as they are moving faster than you think. A really big boar is usually a loner (unless a sow is in heat) and you can tell a big one because he'll usually be running for the brush instead of taking his time! Much of the time, a boar will be the last one in the string of pigs, too. I can usually tell a boar by the way he runs, also..kind of rocking horse movement, due to his big shoulders and chest. Love to shoot them big boys...hate to eat 'em!

Hey Californiacayotes: Tell us how your hunt went? I've got Cross Country Outfitters' website and they seem to have a good reputation.

Huntin when there is plenty of water and feed can be tough. They can be anywhere. My most successful hunts are late summer when water becomes scarce. I run a guide service south of Hollister and usually run 100% in summer. Lately success rates haven't been too good. My last 3 hunts we have only seen about 15 pigs. Plenty of sign but few hogs.

tusker

guapo i definately will!! i didn't book the hunt with them yesterday because i had to talk to my hunting partners. it looks like it will be sometime in may for our hunt. i'm not looking for a trophy, just a meat hog.

Where I hunt around Parkfield, there's plenty of seeps and springs (not to mention stock ponds and troughs), so water is available year-round anyway. You get those fields of barley and alfalfa going green, though, and the hogs will be there. Summer may be a little easier, but I still like the Spring. It's not as hot, either!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back