Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

I never did picket pin. The only time I was going to, I hit a big drift before the rough stuff and had to turn around.

I worked at East Boulder mine, and they have a couple vent raises that come to the surface up there, but I never got to visit them before moving.

I had to Google it. There's a cool timelapse of a dude driving it here:

I got in on blowing up a lot of stuff with the USFS for a couple of summers, including a dead horse like that up Tom Miner and a fallen boulder blocking Upsidedown Creek trail in the late 90's. The forest's licensed blaster did not have a Haz Mat CDL but I did so they kinda needed me to actually get the explosives anywhere. On my own I backpacked a couple of the trails off the Boulder in the early 1990s when I first moved to MT but hadn't been back into that country until last year when geetar and I did our scouting trip. The road had not improved or mellowed with age, but then I probably haven't either.
I was the Lead Blaster on the Gallatin NF from about the mid '80s to about 2000. I worked with blasters from all of the Forests in Region 1 and all of the Gallatin blasters. Do you remember who the blasters you worked with?

Howdy:
Picket Pin isn't for the faint of heart.... depending on what you're pulling. If you drive it, expect to be overran by quads, bikes and 4-wheelrs.

This video shows me pulling out horse camp chains on all fours during a mid September Snowstorm. Unlike the incorrect foretasted amount I mention in the video, by the next day we had over 2 feet, and the pickup would have stayed in there until late June before we could have gotten it out. We had to ride in another way to pack our remote camp out. The same thing happened late September a few years ago. We don't pull the horses in any more, we pony them from the bottom. Of course my sanity has been questioned for pulling them in in the first place! I'll see if I can find another video taken from the bottom showing me crawling down the cirque that better shows this stretch.

Pulling stock in the mountains during hunting season in inclement weather can be a bit stressful to say the least! In fact, I’ve had a few that were so stressful I’d loose sleep tonight if I thought too much about them. Lol. I’ve also had those pulls into places that there wasn’t a day that went by while hunting I didn’t think about the pull out and off the mountain. Smh.

Howdy:
Picket Pin isn't for the faint of heart.... depending on what you're pulling. If you drive it, expect to be overran by quads, bikes and 4-wheelrs.

This video shows me pulling out horse camp chains on all fours during a mid September Snowstorm. Unlike the incorrect foretasted amount I mention in the video, by the next day we had over 2 feet, and the pickup would have stayed in there until late June before we could have gotten it out. We had to ride in another way to pack our remote camp out. The same thing happened late September a few years ago. We don't pull the horses in any more, we pony them from the bottom. Of course my sanity has been questioned for pulling them in in the first place! I'll see if I can find another video taken from the bottom showing me crawling down the cirque that better shows this stretch.

Looks freakin awesome! Quick question didn't you have a 316 goat tag this past season?

Pulling stock in the mountains during hunting season in inclement weather can be a bit stressful to say the least! In fact, I’ve had a few that were so stressful I’d loose sleep tonight if I thought too much about them. Lol. I’ve also had those pulls into places that there wasn’t a day that went by while hunting I didn’t think about the pull out and off the mountain. Smh.
Yep.
The close ones are why I' m more careful where I drive in any more and why I have inreach to get the weather. The weather radio quit working just befor that big storm. Iif we hadnt have packed an elk out to the road, we would have had 3 feet of snow at camp the next morning! I Sleep beeter now!

Unfortunately this was before the days when everyone had a cellphone camera with video capabilities on their side because this would have been some great footage. 🎥
Not to prolong hijacking this thread, but in my 30 years of blasting on the Gallatin NF, I blew up at least a dozen horses, and at least 3 or 4 of them were in the Unlimited Sheep units.

One horse had been put down at the edge of a meadow up the Gallatin Canyon. We had to be at least 500 feet from the blast and on this horse, 500' across the meadow gave me a good view of the shot. I had a pocket camera and the picture caught the blast. That was back in the days of film cameras, so I dropped the film off at a local camera store.

A few days later one of the women in the office told me she was going to pick up some developed pictures and asked if I had anything to be picked up. When she got back to the office I looked at my pictures and she saw the one of the horse. This was in the fall and she commented on the pretty fall colors in that picture. Then I told her that the red plume in the center of the picture was actually a horse...

Nope, haven't drawn a goat tag for awhile. I put in for a different unit anyway. I did have a 500 sheep.

Sorry must of had a mix up there. Welcome to the thread man looking forward to following your adventure!

Yea me too. It would be nice if most of the sheep states had an unlimited quota area. I can understand states like Texas not doing it because they only give out one or two tags per year for the state. It would be nice if at least one state with each species had an unlimited area. Like if Montana had the bighorn and say Nevada or a southern state had an unlimited desert area and Alaska and Canada had an area that would allow non residents to hunt Dall and Stone without a 20 grand outfitter. That way if a guy worked hard at it over a lifetime he could achieve a diy slam. It would be a long shot even then but something worth going for.

I agree that it would be nice geetar; but don't count on it ever happening. Mountain sheep hunting is a prestigious pursuit worldwide and, being in limited supply, commands big money. Outfitters are often lobbyists in their own financial interest or employ lobbyists through their professional organizations. I remember when a guide/outfitter was required only for a non-resident to hunt either Dall sheep or Brown/Grizzly bear in Alaska. Purportedly, the requirement was to ensure the dude's safety on such "dangerous" hunts.

I owned and operated a firearms and archery shop from 1978 to 1988 and had many conversations with customers and a few game managers about most aspects of hunting, including out-of-state and, in the case of Canada*, even non-resident alien licensing fees and requirements. For years, I would point out the hypocrisy of requiring a non-resident be guided on sheep or grizzly hunts for their supposed safety while allowing them to hunt Mountain goats on their own in Alaska. Given the relative habitats and weather conditions, goat hunting in coastal Alaska is at least as dangerous as interior sheep hunting. Truth is, the Dall sheep and Brown bears were the prestige species that wealthy, out-of-state hunters were willing to pay high fees for a hunting opportunity. I don't know whether Mountain goats eventually achieved enough prestige status for the change; or if too many critics like myself pointed out the fallacy of the state's "for their own protection" justification; but Alaska eventually extended the guide requirement to non-resident goat hunters as well.

* As I had hoped to someday hunt in Africa back then, we even discussed African "trophy fees" a bit. I was offered a job in 1983 that tempted me because of its potential to hunt African big game "on the cheap." I was too invested in my own business and was paying rent that was, at the time, sustaining my father's investment in the building to just drop everything and go. It is just as well that I did not accept the offer, since southern Sudan erupted in civil war later that year. Thirty-seven years later, it is still a dangerously unstable region even though South Sudan is now a separate nation.

Last edited:
Hey @shines@times hope you’re doing alright and sorry to hear about your mother.

AZ is hot.
I’ll be headed to Montana in about a week to begin this goose chase again.

Like malaria, the sheep bug flares up periodically. I'm skimming through the whole unlimited thread again. Could not help myself pointing out the irony of your "goose chase" comment. Congratulations again on your accomplishment MTGomer. Is your hunting partner continuing the quest?

Not to slight anyone else, because there are a bunch of fine people contributing to this thread and the pursuit of Montana's premier game animal, but I've got to root for EYJONAS to succeed in the unlimiteds this year (and C Bow in Alaska). Are you really switching units this year EYJONAS?

I've got three weeks to decide if I want to both chance getting my hernia fixed (yeah, I know, it's only two years old) in time to recover and get into shape, and take the risk that there might not even be a season in light of the Covid-19 situation. The virus has served to reinforce something I already knew: tomorrow is never promised.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Last edited:
Like malaria, the sheep bug flares up periodically. I'm skimming through the whole unlimited thread again.
I find myself doing the following. Have been looking at maps and trying to decide a plan of attack this year.
Really looking forward to all the stories of everyone's hunt / or unlimited camping trip as someone on here said once.

Will sure miss your Unlimited sheep write ups Gomer. Always enjoyed your photos and stories to go along with them.

Im rooting for Eyjonas too I was going into unlimited unit next yr after this yrs elk hunt but at this point I dont think I will make it back to Idaho this yr with everything going on with this virus
Im on a day to day week to week and its tough for me to do 2 trips in 1 yr so only time will tell
I would like to get out west to do some recon if things settle down this yr

Another vote here for Eyjonas success in 2020! I'm not a sheep hunter but I enjoy reading this thread of adventures.

I hope the price stays the same too, as a fellow NR. After finding out about this tag, doing some heavy quarantine research and reading the 70 pages of this form, I am seriously considering skipping archery elk. It’s like something clicked and now all I can do is read up on sheep and the area. I have a good friend who’s interested too for 2021. Looking forward to following along on the thread. The stories so far have been pretty epic.

Back