Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Good news for eastern mt mule deer!

thanks, but I don't want to hunt public land that's my point, these landowners have "too many deer" supposedly but I don't ever see them advertising for people to come and shoot a doe.

thanks, but I don't want to hunt public land that's my point, these landowners have "too many deer" supposedly but I don't ever see them advertising for people to come and shoot a doe.

Block Management is private land, and calling the regional bio or warden should get you some ranches that are not part of BM but still want hunters to come shoot does.

Block Management is private land, and calling the regional bio or warden should get you some ranches that are not part of BM but still want hunters to come shoot does.

i know bm is private, but type 1 bm's could just as well be public, but thank you for your input I will contact a region 7 bio this summer and see if I can line something up. thanks for your help

I think signing up on the hunt roster for a unit in region 7 would also be helpful if you are just looking for a meat hunt. I know for a fact that a number of areas in Montana run through the full list so no matter what number you are you will get a doe hunt.

I think signing up on the hunt roster for a unit in region 7 would also be helpful if you are just looking for a meat hunt. I know for a fact that a number of areas in Montana run through the full list so no matter what number you are you will get a doe hunt.

Fantastic idea - thanks

I've hunted in eastern Mt. for the last 5 years and find it hard believe that mule deer over population is something that actually exists on accessible land. Why doesn't the FWP make half of the doe tags good for private land only if the land owners are having issues with crop damage? I don't doubt that crop damage happens, just not sure why the FWP doesn't target the problem on private land rather than letting people hammer any doe they find, wherever they find one.

Does anyone ever get calls from FWP asking if you did any deer hunting or not? I get called every year asking me if I went elk hunting, but not once have they mentioned deer. Its like they don't even care about managing the deer.

Does anyone ever get calls from FWP asking if you did any deer hunting or not? I get called every year asking me if I went elk hunting, but not once have they mentioned deer. Its like they don't even care about managing the deer.

I just received a call on Monday night about 7 pm regarding my non res deer tag in MT. Answered questions on how many days hunted, which weapon was used, which unit, and if I was successful or not. I would say they asked about 10-12 questions total. After the deer questions were done, they also asked me the same amount of questions regarding my non res antelope tag. I too have been contacted every year regarding elk and she said they will be doing the elk very shortly. I think they care, I just don't think they care about trophy quality and age class. If you go to eastern MT and fail to see alot of deer I would think that has more to do with your skills and drive as a hunter more than the FWP management.

It's a percentages thing. They only call something like 62% of deer hunters and 65% of elk hunters, so you may be chosen for deer, but may not be chosen for elk and vis versa. It's silly to me, cause while they have you on the phone they might as well ask you about all the hunting you've done. Years they ask about districts hunted for elk and only ask for days hunted for deer. The next year I think its supposed to flop. Which districts for deer, and just how many days for elk. It's a flawed system, but its better than nothing.

I am a doe hunter, so I am going to hunt does, as long as there are permits and deer to chase. I will self-regulate, in that when the population gets bad enough that I cannot have a reasonable expectation of filling a tag, I won't waste my money. I am definitely not going to buy a tag, just to keep one more deer from getting killed.

It bothers me to see states such as Montana and Wyoming complain about deer numbers and continue to offer antlerless, or either-sex permits. If you add hunter mortality onto the doe population along with the predators and bad winters, you have a recipe for a tough recovery.

I am fortunate to live where I do, as far as killing does to fill the freezer. That being said, Game and Parks started really regulating the take of mule deer in certain areas due to declining populations. It has worked and the deer are coming back very strongly. They have superb habitat with lots of food and few winter issues, which really helps, also. There are a couple places where many of the deer winter and the farmers would like them gone. Game and Parks is smart enough not to issue depredation permits to those people, as that is where a good portion of the population of mule deer in that area winters. They do allow hunting, though, so that is not a problem.

I will never waste my gas to drive to Montana, as the permit fees etc., are out of control and the animals are dwindling. I guess that is self-regulation on my part. I will go to Wyoming for elk (cuz I can't draw a Nebraska tag), but I will just continue killing my 10-30 deer a year here until they decide that can no longer do it.

Last edited:
Montana's mule deer are back from teetering on the brink.... Time for a bounty on them soon

10-30 a year?! How do you ever eat that many?

We eat predominantly wild meat and I donate lots of it to friends and family. I make lots of jerky and summer sausage to give to friends and people that let me hunt etc. I just sent 80 pounds of meat back to Arizona with my wife's dad and nephew and I have a kid coming home from Christmas that will fill some coolers to take home, too.

It is real easy to find a home for the meat. A lot of what I kill is on depredation permits for a neighbor during the summer. I killed 17 this summer for him and I have killed five on regular permits. I have five permits remaining, whether I fill them or not.

I like to hunt deer and I always buy plenty of permits, so that whether I fill them or not, I can always go hunting during whichever season is open. After all, a freezer that is not full is not an efficient freezer!:hump:

In three years, between the depredation permits and my regular permits, I killed 124 white-tails. I have lived here since 2000 and have probably averaged 10-12 a year over all, not counting the damage stuff.

It has been a blast, but I am starting to slow down a bit.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's poss we might see doe tags decrease in a couple years from now if this sudden cold and snow kills what I think it could. I Filled my nd bow tag a couple weeks ago and that deer had zero fat. Most of the bucks we took in mt had very little if any also. Just my opinion that this is not going to improve our herd any. While I see enough deer around this country it certainly seems to be in pockets. I Think anyone managing wildlife would set doe season to be area specific at a minimum and limited to private would be better. I Have a hard time accepting that one can issue 4500 tags fully knowing that every tag could be filled in a small area. We all know the likelihood of that is small. It's just not what I call management

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back