Good glass is expensive, and I only take a couple of rifles on any given trip

Clam

So, I am installing 20 moa picatinney bases on most of my rifles. I already have picatinney rings on my nightforces and Swarovski.

I can usually sight in with just a few shots.

Anyone else do this?

on my hunting rifles? No. Only thing I have a 20moa base on is a heavy barrel 308 I use for long range target shooting.

In my opinion, each time you put on and take off a scope you’re increasing the odds that there will be a mistake. I personally wouldn’t choose that path because the one time I would make a mistake would be the one time it really mattered.

So, I am installing 20 moa picatinney bases on most of my rifles. I already have picatinney rings on my nightforces and Swarovski.

I can usually sight in with just a few shots.

Anyone else do this?

I can appreciate the premise Clam but cannot deduce the need.

I have 20 MOA rails mainly because I don't see much point in having a lot of down adjustment. I don't guess it really matters at hunting distance though, not sure why I have that in my head.

Except for my 2 Ruger 77's i use EGW 20 MOA one piece bases with low rings.
But i target shoot a lot out to 1,000 yards.

And no, i have a scope on each rifle.

Just my opinion but I think concerning yourself so much with base's, rings and scope is a waste of time. What makes something good? What make's something, best? No such thing as best. I have a 2 3/4x Redfield on my 30-06 I bought new about 1971, still works great! Have a 3-9x Bushnell Banner on my 25-06 I don't even remember where I got it. Been on the rifle about 30yrs, is it junk? Not a chance, still works great. My own though is that to many people think they are getting something much better based on the price they pay. They say you should spend more on the scope than on the rifle. OK! I have a Mossberg Patriot with a newer Leupold/Redfield 2-7x on it. Got the rifle for $299 and paid about $150 for the scope, does everything I need. Is the scope no good because it cost less than the rifle? The base on that rifle is the one one it when I bought it! If you bought a new $2500 rifle, how much would a decent scope cost for it? How about base's and rings? I think all this garbage abut scope cost came about because everyone decided they needed a rifle to shoot 500 yds with, weather they could do it or not! This Picatenny rail. Worth the money? Not a clue! Most my base's are inexpensive Weaver's and the rifle's, for some reason I can't explain, still shoot very well!

I've gone full circle on optics. I first only bought 3x9 scopes, then thought if I had more magnification, it will be an easier shot. These scopes turned out to be heavy and head placement had to be perfect every time with eye relief that wasn't as forgiving at higher magnifications. I've gone back to lower power scopes but with great glass. My two main hunting rifles carry Meopta and Zeiss. No parallax adjustment. Just aim and shoot. I personally think the long distance shooting craze is causing hunters to rethink their set up when IMO for most hunters, there is no need.

I have to agree that a 20 MOA rail is usually not needed on a hunting rifle, but in my case, I have a couple of really nice long range rifles I use for prairie dogs, gophers and coyotes, so to be on the safe side I went 20 MOA.

My Defiance Deviant action has a 20MOA base manufactured on it, and also the .22 silhouette I occasionally shoot we actually need a .20moa base (or get good at guessing). So, that is why I am continuing with the 20 MOA rather than 0.

Also, I have almost exclusive access to a very large ranch in Montana. Although there is always an abundance of deer on the land, it is challenging in that there is very little to no cover for me to utilize in the deers favorite area without me being detected. I learned the hard way. Anyway, there is an old shack I now sit in where I can use a rest/bipod, but the shots are usually long - 300yds+. I’m not thrilled having to shoot this far or farther but I have done it and don’t mind doing it, with the proper equipment. Hence, having the extra 20MOA even if not needed, doesn’t hurt a thing.

I assume you are insulting me.

I am new here, and would like to apologize if my use of 20 MOA rails offends you.
Mellow out Clam. No insult intended to you, or anyone else. No apology necessary. mtmuley

Clam...I've never used a 20 moa rail before. I'm just curious as to what yardage you have your rifles zeroed at?

If you are talking about taking a couple of rifles and only one scope - even a “good” scope - I wouldn’t do that. My Remington 700s have survived all but my home gunsmithing and my Tikka seems reliable, too. I admit that I don’t have a Nightforce or a Swarovski, but, if I did, I would still be as worried about scope failure as rifle failure.

Since you have Nightforces, how many rifles are you going to be taking on a hunt with you?

Newbie question - but what is the point of a 20 moa rail for hunting?

If you are talking about taking a couple of rifles and only one scope - even a “good” scope - I wouldn’t do that. My Remington 700s have survived all but my home gunsmithing and my Tikka seems reliable, too. I admit that I don’t have a Nightforce or a Swarovski, but, if I did, I would still be as worried about scope failure as rifle failure.

Since you have Nightforces, how many rifles are you going to be taking on a hunt with you?

Hi BAKPKR,

It depends, 2 or probably 3.

In the fall I’ll take two deer rifles, a 6.5 Swede and .257 Wby.

I ALWAYS take and have a truck gun with me. It is not uncommon to see/shoot coyotes at any time. Midday, sometimes when the weather is nice, I am joined by a local fellow I know and we go shooting prairie dogs. We have gotten into some pretty good shooting even during November- (+/- 200) before I go back to deer hunting in the late afternoon. So, I take a .221 Fireball or .19 Badger.

Also, another acquaintance near there hunts coyotes and cats. He has dogs. He is quite friendly and has always welcomed me to go along with him. I haven’t had the time in the past but am intrigued by using the dogs and seeing how he does it. 162 coyotes a couple years ago, so he is pretty good at it. Gotta be ready for that as well.

Clam...I've never used a 20 moa rail before. I'm just curious as to what yardage you have your rifles zeroed at?
I’ve never used one on a deer rifle either. I’ll be twisting turrets. So, I’ll start at 100 or so and go to 200, 300 etc. And see how it goes.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back