Good factory loads for elk?

I have taken 3 elk, 4 caribou, and lots of whitetails with the .270 150 gr.Federal Premium Nosler Partition. Great bullet. Never let me down.

I've taken a couple elk with the 150 partitions from federal as well. Tipped over in their tracks. Complete pass thrus.

I reload and I only use 130g Nosler Partition for hunting in my .270 . My rifle was more accurate with this with this bullet than any other I tried in my .270.
This bullet has performed with good results over many years.
As said above make sure your rifle likes the ammunition you buy.

I shoot a 270 WSM , but my rifle shoots like a laser gun with Nosler Trophy grade with 140gr Acubonds. I've not taken an elk with it but many deer. All my elk got a broad head through the lungs ��. Like others have said, start with a few boxes of premium ammo with bullets that advertise weight retention and penetration, see what consistently shoots the tightest groups.

Thanks for all of the replies and wonderful information. It definitely gives me a good starting point; I just need to put in some range time now. One more question: Do the guys that prefer the solid copper bullets notice any increased barrel fouling? Do you use any different cleaning method on your rifles than when shooting jacketed bullets?

One more question: Do the guys that prefer the solid copper bullets notice any increased barrel fouling? Do you use any different cleaning method on your rifles than when shooting jacketed bullets?

Nope. I've shot a lot of Barnes and Nosler (Federal Premium Trophy Copper) in barrels ranging from 60 years old to brand new and the only difference was point of impact from switching loads.

Nosler has really been expanding their copper offerings the last couple of years I'm sure theres a load your rifle will like between them, Federal and Barnes if you want to go the copper route.

Had the 225 grain TTSX foul a .338 RUM pretty bad. I was pushing them really hard. Might have had something to do with it. Shot the E-Tip out of a .300 RUM amd .30-06 with no excess fouling. Again pushing the 180 to the limit. I am going to be testing a bunch of a new copper bullet here soon in 3 calibers. I don't expect any problems. mtmuley

Thanks for all of the replies and wonderful information. It definitely gives me a good starting point; I just need to put in some range time now. One more question: Do the guys that prefer the solid copper bullets notice any increased barrel fouling? Do you use any different cleaning method on your rifles than when shooting jacketed bullets?

Yeah I do. I'm going to try the accubonds this year because of this.

Wow really ? Lead kills all the hawks and eagles

At least those unlucky enough to feed on the carcasses and gut piles left behind with lead fragments. Every eagle that has gone to the rehab center in our part of the state this year has died of lead poisoning. Nearly every raptor that comes in has elevated lead levels in their blood, from mild to fatal.

Non-lead shoots great and is better for the wildlife.

Check out underwood ammo. Small company out of illinois, they seem great bought some 06 for my dad. Most of their loadings are accubonds and the 06 were 34 dollars a box.

I also am not a reloader and although its interesting to me, I don't need another hobby, certainly not one that will occupy free time in order to allow me to shoot on free time. If anyone is looking for a load tester I will happily shoot and report back for you. ;)

I took all this same advice two years ago when looking for a good factory elk round for my rifle. Stick with a partition style or solid copper bullet for starters. In the end my gun really likes the Nosler Accubond. REALLY likes! Last year that rifle took two elk, each over 200 yds. One was a pass through exactly where I aimed and the other we recovered the bullet and it was perfectly intact despite going through both shoulders. I was more than impressed.

Last year I harvested a cow (my first elk) with a 130 gr. soft point Federal Power Shock bullet. When I found the bullet on the inside of the opposite shoulder blade, it was intact. Not bad for the cheap stuff.

The OP was asking about his .270 and if anyone had any experience with any premium ammo, not ammo for a 300wsm. Please don't hijack the thread.

I apologize. No intention in hijacking anything. Was just adding my thoughts on a FACTORY LOAD. Even though I gave the example of what I shot to clarify it's not a .270. Sorry you read that wrong.

Stick with a partition style or solid copper bullet for starters. In the end my gun really likes the Nosler Accubond. REALLY likes! Last year that rifle took two elk, each over 200 yds. One was a pass through exactly where I aimed and the other we recovered the bullet and it was perfectly intact despite going through both shoulders. I was more than impressed.

Funny that you mentioned those bullets. I was at Cabela's on Sunday and picked up two different loads: Federal Premium with 150 gr Nosler Partitions and Nosler Trophy Grade with 130 gr Nosler Accubonds. Whichever round shoots better will probably be the one that gets to go hunting in October.

Back