Good Duck Day

bowhuntmontana

I've killed some ducks over the years, but it never really captured my attention until this year. I have really been enjoying it, and found it to be good eating. Been using my cheap kayak and getting out once or twice a week. I am totally fumbling my way through it, but have had some success. Had a good day yesterday.

Attachments

• 20201127_164326.jpg
    20201127_164326.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
  • 20201127_142738.jpg
    20201127_142738.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 20201127_153431.jpg
    20201127_153431.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
I've killed some ducks over the years, but it never really captured my attention until this year. I have really been enjoying it, and found it to be good eating. Been using my cheap kayak and getting out once or twice a week. I am totally fumbling my way through it, but have had some success. Had a good day yesterday.
Nice can!

Those mountains look familiar. Are you hunting in NV?

Pintail, wigeon and canvasback and throw in a drake GWT?? Very nice day! Congratulations, sir.

What kind of decoy spread did you use to attract that mixed bag? Strange there's no "normal" ducks (i.e. mallards) in the lot. Oh boo hoo! Pintail drakes fully feathered are the most elegant of waterfowl. You are lucky. And a canvasback drake the same day! Wow!

What kind of decoy spread did you use to attract that mixed bag? Strange there's no "normal" ducks (i.e. mallards) in the lot. Oh boo hoo! Pintail drakes fully feathered are the most elegant of waterfowl. You are lucky. And a canvasback drake the same day! Wow!
Oddly enough, no decoys. Still haven't purchased any. I went to where the ducks wanted to be, away from just about everyone else, and tucked up tight in the shade of some vegetation. Live ducks became the decoys. Shot ducks flying toward me, coming from behind me, etc. It's a lot of work to get to this spot, probably too much, but I'll be going back.

Oddly enough, no decoys. Still haven't purchased any. I went to where the ducks wanted to be, away from just about everyone else, and tucked up tight in the shade of some vegetation. Live ducks became the decoys. Shot ducks flying toward me, coming from behind me, etc. It's a lot of work to get to this spot, probably too much, but I'll be going back.
Well if you can get shooting like that without decoys, why bother with the hassle and expense? I wouldn't. Hard work is always worth it. Keeps you in shape and makes it worth it when at the end of the day (and your life) you've done things different than everyone else ... whether or not you shoot anything. Anyway, it beats watching college football on TV. Especially if Alabama is playing. I lost my taste for wholesale slaughter years ago.

That is a fantastic mixed bag and some beautiful birds.

Not sure if you many geese where you are at, but I have had good luck with most all species coming into goose decoys. You don't need many, and the large size and black/white color contrast can get attention from birds from far away. At least this works for me in northern Wisconsin.

Back