Good Attractant

WoodsQuest

I’m trying to find a good attractant for whitetail deer in NY. I can’t use anything they can eat. It has to be all scent based. No licks or feed, etc. I’ve read about mashing acorns and making a spray with it and also using vanilla extract. Any other scents I could make that will work as an attractant?

Pee in a scrape or make a mock scrape. By far the most effective attractant.

Use a grunt call, I hunt heavily pressured state land and every year I call bucks in. I’ve shot several over the last couple seasons doing this. Don’t get discouraged when you try it 5-10 sits and nothing. You have to have one in ear shot and in the right mood. Just don’t over call. Last season I called 3 bucks in a single morning after trying for a week straight. Bottles doe scent does work, but it’s a crap shoot. I think that the deerbusually smell you on top of it so it’s not that effective.

NO, there is no commercially available scent that will consistently work. Its always going to be another foreign odor introduced into the woods.

I have to agree with Kenton. The one thing a "scent attractant" will do, is provide the hunter with a distracted animal. If they come through the area they might stick there nose to it for a good pondering sniff while you take aim at and shoot a motionless target. Beyond that, I'm afraid scent attractants are pretty much a gimmick. That's my opinion, but its an opinion founded on 30 years of hunting whitetail.

Hunt feed areas and travel corridors and don't waste your $ on scents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back