Caribou Gear Tarp

Going West without a Tag - CO and NM

JTHOMP

The old lady and I and planning a trip West. As painful as it is this trip will occur during hunting season, likely in mid to late November. But I guess there’s worse reasons to miss out on hunting time.

As of now our plan is to leave Louisiana and stop over in Stanta Rose, TX for the night. First tour stop will be in Albuquerque to visit Petroglyph NP. From there head to SW Colorado; take a day to get there to check out a couple other sites along the way. Our “home base” will be an Air b&b in Durango, Bayfield, or Pagosa Springs. Bayfield seems like the best option for now, but still researching.

Things of interest from home base include Mesa Verde and various trails with scenic views. As for trails and whatnot I’m sure much of that will be dependent on snowfall.
She has spit balled:
Ice Lake Trail
Bear Creek Park
Box Canyon Falls Park
Cascade Falls Park
Black Canyon
We are also interested in taking a horse back trip and doing some fishing. She’s done most of the research so far and says most of the horse riding stuff she’s seen so far is on someone ranch rather than up in the mountains.

The trip down looking at taking a couple days to make stop around Santa Fe area.

Any suggestions of what to add to the list, or expect from the weather and accessibility would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The old lady and I and planning a trip West. As painful as it is this trip will occur during hunting season, likely in mid to late November. But I guess there’s worse reasons to miss out on hunting time.

As of now our plan is to leave Louisiana and stop over in Stanta Rose, TX for the night. First tour stop will be in Albuquerque to visit Petroglyph NP. From there head to SW Colorado; take a day to get there to check out a couple other sites along the way. Our “home base” will be an Air b&b in Durango, Bayfield, or Pagosa Springs. Bayfield seems like the best option for now, but still researching.

Things of interest from home base include Mesa Verde and various trails with scenic views. As for trails and whatnot I’m sure much of that will be dependent on snowfall.
She has spit balled:
Ice Lake Trail
Bear Creek Park
Box Canyon Falls Park
Cascade Falls Park
Black Canyon
We are also interested in taking a horse back trip and doing some fishing. She’s done most of the research so far and says most of the horse riding stuff she’s seen so far is on someone ranch rather than up in the mountains.

The trip down looking at taking a couple days to make stop around Santa Fe area.

Any suggestions of what to add to the list, or expect from the weather and accessibility would be greatly appreciated.

Your timing isn’t very compatible with hiking in the mountains. It might be fine if we get a dry fall, but I wouldn’t count on Ice lake trail being an option that time of year. You could try fishing the San Juan River in NM below Navajo dam. Navajo reservoir might be an option also. The Animas river by Durango can be good fishing but it and other freestone streams may be freezing up by then.

Spend a night in Red River, NM.

Walk over to Texas Reds for supper.

The Rio Grande Gorge just west of taos is worth the time to take a look at.

Then take the canyon down to Espanola.

All beautiful country.

Fall is a great time to head west for leisure as well as hunting. We did a trip last October and just hiked, saw the sights, etc. Was one of my favorite trips.

Have fun and post pics!

I believe Black Canyon is mostly closed by mid-November. You can access the rim drive on foot but that’s about it. Used to be a fun place for midnight snowshoeing 😁
The Rim drive on the south rim being open At the Black Canyon will all depend on the weather. It is a great winter cross country ski trail, as long as the snow shoe people don’t ruin the trail ;)

Spend a night in Red River, NM.

Walk over to Texas Reds for supper.

The Rio Grande Gorge just west of taos is worth the time to take a look at.

Then take the canyon down to Espanola.

All beautiful country.
This! I'd take time to visit the Taos area instead of Santa Fe.

Back