Caribou Gear

GoHunt vs. OnX

I currently have and use OnX. I get a decent discount through guidefitter on the Elite membership. If GoHunt gave a similar discount, or even provided a trial period, I'd be a lot more apt to try it out. OnX is a laggy SOB on the computer. GoHunt is 10x better on the computer.

@Dave@gohunt - Are you guys ever going to add a trial period like OnX has? It would really help a lot of people out when trying to make a decision!

I currently have and use OnX. I get a decent discount through guidefitter on the Elite membership. If GoHunt gave a similar discount, or even provided a trial period, I'd be a lot more apt to try it out. OnX is a laggy SOB on the computer. GoHunt is 10x better on the computer.

@Dave@gohunt - Are you guys ever going to add a trial period like OnX has? It would really help a lot of people out when trying to make a decision!
Hey there, we do have a free 7-day trial you can do now for Insider. This will get you access to all of the research tools and maps, including mobile and web. This would hands down be the best route for trying things out!

https://join.gohunt.com/try/insider-trial/

Hey everyone, after thinking about my response for the night and discussing this some with the team I wanted to jump back in here to add a few more thoughts.

This thread largely started as a GOHUNT vs OnX topic but quickly turned into maps vs maps. OnX has incredible maps, there is no denying that. Along with that, we are the first ones to admit the quality of our Maps app last season was not where it needs to be. It has come a long way over the last 6-9 months. I am not saying it's perfect today but what we can promise is we will continue to devote ourselves to making our Maps product and all of our other products the best they can possibly be.

For us, Maps is just one tool of many in a hunter's toolbox, and this is exactly why we include access to maps with all of our Insider memberships. We are driving to build a full ecosystem that will take you through the “entire year of the hunter”, from researching and planning your hunts to gearing up for the trip of a lifetime. Maps are just a small portion of what we do but are something we are passionate about, just like our draw odds, filtering system, gear, and content. Thousands of hours a year are poured into each of these tools and areas.

We have a lot of different tools under one login and we will never stop striving to learn more, grow more, and continue to add more value to our membership.

The best part of my job is hearing how our tools, maps included, helped someone with their western hunt.

Thank you!

For us, Maps is just one tool of many in a hunter's toolbox, and this is exactly why we include access to maps with all of our Insider memberships. We are driving to build a full ecosystem that will take you through the “entire year of the hunter”, from researching and planning your hunts to gearing up for the trip of a lifetime. Maps are just a small portion of what we do but are something we are passionate about, just like our draw odds, filtering system, gear, and content. Thousands of hours a year are poured into each of these tools and areas.

We have a lot of different tools under one login and we will never stop striving to learn more, grow more, and continue to add more value to our membership.

The best part of my job is hearing how our tools, maps included, helped someone with their western hunt.

Thank you!
Thank you @Dave@gohunt! I wholeheartedly agree and appreciate this post. The perks of insider have helped me understand draw odds in my home state (and others) way easier than digging around on the state websites, and the product reviews, articles, etc. GoHunt provides are second to none. There's more there than the maps. I'm not receiving a commission to say any of this, just think GoHunt has a great thing going. If I ever plan a hunt in another state, GoHunt is the first place to start.

I'll admit, I still use OnX because old habits die hard. Just like I don't plan on giving up my insider membership anytime soon.

Sounds like the overall consensus is that OnX maps are preferred but GoHunt research tools and articles are superior. I'd concur with that as well. I'm looking to scale back subscriptions in many areas of my life and budget and I'm hopeful that I can simply select GoHunt or OnX as my go to resource in 2024.

It will be interesting to see if enough people in my circle jump to GoHunt as one of the problems I had last year was sharing waypoints with friends as they all used strictly OnX. It would be sweet if data could be shared between the two platforms even if it was just Northing/Easting coordinates that you could then edit the name and presentation style before saving. Probably not realistic but everyone can dream right?

Sounds like the overall consensus is that OnX maps are preferred but GoHunt research tools and articles are superior. I'd concur with that as well. I'm looking to scale back subscriptions in many areas of my life and budget and I'm hopeful that I can simply select GoHunt or OnX as my go to resource in 2024.

It will be interesting to see if enough people in my circle jump to GoHunt as one of the problems I had last year was sharing waypoints with friends as they all used strictly OnX. It would be sweet if data could be shared between the two platforms even if it was just Northing/Easting coordinates that you could then edit the name and presentation style before saving. Probably not realistic but everyone can dream right?
Bearman, good feedback, and we get that one often. I won't pretend I'm up to speed with how all of the tech works and what is possible and what is not but I imagine cross platform sharing would be a very, very difficult thing to make possible. I could be wrong, though.

We did try to accommodate for this as best we could by making our waypoint coordinates easy to copy, you just click on them. Then you'd have to text the coords to your buddy who could then input those into Onx, Basemap, etc...

does anybody have any current discount promo codes for on x,,its time to renew my elite in the next week or so,,hoping i can get 20-30 pct off if posible

I use on-X but still carry a paper topo with me out of habit.

My sons can’t read topo and I can’t read satellite. We have interesting conversations.

The @onX Hunt offline maps update process leaves much to be desired. Maybe if you had 5 maps it is fine. If you have a couple of your favorite units saved under high resolution along with trails, waypoints, and lines it can leave you in a major bind. From my experience if the map has an “update available” and you don’t update it you are not going to have a map when you go offline. It should say “update required”. Kind of a big deal if you are in and out of service, with limited download speeds, and then go totally off grid, since you could have nothing there when you need it.
Their unrealistic “fix” for me when I hit up the support was to delete all my maps and reload them, or delete the app and start over. Again, great idea if that was a 10 min process, which it isn’t. In the past I have tried to update my maps before I go to sleep, on WiFi, and they don’t all update sometimes, sometimes they do. Quite often the status will change to “unknown”, in that case I have to delete and reload that map. “Preparing to download” can be displayed for days before anything actually happens - with the app open and on WiFi.
OnX is amazing when it works but it isn’t bulletproof.

Last edited:
I've had over 350 5 mile maps on my phone, never once had those maps unavailable after months of not updating.
Consider yourself lucky.
Once I had all of NM unit 12 downloaded, came off airplane mode to make a call in Quemado where there was some cell service. The app updated while I was having lunch, then I left service and went back on airplane mode. Went to use the app again and every map then went to a barber pole 💈 border and was worthless.
There should be a lock feature or an “are you sure you want to do this button” to prevent your maps from becoming inaccessible in situations where you won’t have good cell coverage or WiFi available.

Last edited:
I forgot one of the other things that drives me crazy about go hunt... you have to set a waypoint in 3D if you want the elevation to show up. It's maddening.

Be 100 percent honest I really feel like GOHUNT platform is great and has some of the best tool’s compared to the other platforms, but I really wish they would get all the bugs worked out of what they currently offer before adding more items/tools to potentially have more issues.

Great feedback everyone, I really appreciate seeing all of this, and I know the greater team does as well.

@MtnElk - I will raise that with the team again. I'm not promising it'll be fixed tomorrow, but I'll bring up the discussion to see what we can do. I realize not everyone is a topo fan but when I am checking elevations real quick I usually will reference the topo map first. This also gives me a quick glance into elevation gain/loss for routes I am planning.

@BradA - This has actually been a huge focus for us in the past year. We have released a few low-impact features that wouldn't necessarily hurt app performance(web only stuff) but have largely been focused on quality, quality, quality. Namely in GPS location, tracks, downloads, and general app performance.

Please keep it coming!

Great feedback everyone, I really appreciate seeing all of this, and I know the greater team does as well.

@MtnElk - I will raise that with the team again. I'm not promising it'll be fixed tomorrow, but I'll bring up the discussion to see what we can do. I realize not everyone is a topo fan but when I am checking elevations real quick I usually will reference the topo map first. This also gives me a quick glance into elevation gain/loss for routes I am planning.

@BradA - This has actually been a huge focus for us in the past year. We have released a few low-impact features that wouldn't necessarily hurt app performance(web only stuff) but have largely been focused on quality, quality, quality. Namely in GPS location, tracks, downloads, and general app performance.

Please keep it coming!
That’s so great to hear because the other day I was doing some e scouting on a desktop and noticed some of my waypoints were duplicated in my hunt planner so I deleted one of them and it deleted both, I’m not sure why it’s showing up with duplicates and I keep my e scouting / hunt planner very organized and to see duplicates bothered and annoyed me then further more frustrated me when I tried to remove one of the duplicates (that wasn’t always shown in the past but recently presented itself) to keep it organized and then they were both gone. So I had to live with the duplicates showing up in the hunt planner, but not on the map itself. Im not sure if the team is aware of this.

That’s so great to hear because the other day I was doing some e scouting on a desktop and noticed some of my waypoints were duplicated in my hunt planner so I deleted one of them and it deleted both, I’m not sure why it’s showing up with duplicates and I keep my e scouting / hunt planner very organized and to see duplicates bothered and annoyed me then further more frustrated me when I tried to remove one of the duplicates (that wasn’t always shown in the past but recently presented itself) to keep it organized and then they were both gone. So I had to live with the duplicates showing up in the hunt planner, but not on the map itself. Im not sure if the team is aware of this.
I have not seen this yet, I will definitely pass this along. So these were waypoints that were on the map that you added to a hunt created in your Hunt Planner?

I have not seen this yet, I will definitely pass this along. So these were waypoints that were on the map that you added to a hunt created in your Hunt Planner?
Yes but I had made the waypoint in the past then came back to revisit and account my way point to verify that the number of waypoints equals the amount in the hunt planner, number of waypoints were more then what was on the map so then I looked further into it to find out that it for some reason at some point it made a duplicate in the hunter planner off of one waypoint, deleted one from the hunt planner thinking it resolve the situation but instead it deleted my waypoint and both from hunt planner.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back