Caribou Gear

God bless our Troops

Nemont

I just returned from San Antonio, Tx on trip arranged for a program called Employers Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR). We flew a KC 135 tanker from Great Falls, MT to Lackland AFB in San Antonio.

I had the privilege to fly in a C5 Galaxy simulator, tour an actual C5, see T34 trainers up close and watch as the pilots in training took them up in pairs. I got to watch a change of CSM for the entire US Army Medical Command at Fort Sam Houston. On the return flight I got to watch a midair refueling when we refueled a B1 bomber. I will post pics of these activities as soon as I get them up

The absolute high light of my trip was the chance to visit the wounded in the Fort Sam Houston Hospital. Regardless of your thoughts on the war and it's impact you would be moved to tears at the bravery, professionalism and committment to their mission every one of these young men and women displayed. Several of these guys were permanently disabled, maimed, burned or crippled. I personally spoke with 23 men and asked them what their plans were for their future EVERYONE of them wanted to get better in order to get back to their unit. Everyone of them said the sacrifice was worth it and they would do it again. Everyone of them said the media has it entirely wrong.

Nemont

I got to watch a midair refueling when we refueled a B1 bomber
In 1986 I got to watch my father refuel his A-7 coming back from a trip to Alaska that I went on with him. Awesome stuff.

Everyone of them said the sacrifice was worth it and they would do it again
This is why we have the greatest armed forces on the planet. I am in awe of these folks and what they are willing to do and the sacrifices they are willing to make.

I was reading on another forum a post from a guardsman who was completing his 3 months training before heading to Irag and he was totally ready to go, no bitching, no whinning just a can do attitude.

Nemont, I have a post in SI about a friend in Iraq with the 1st Marines, if you can find it, it's worth a read.

God bless our Troops
Agreed.

I spent a week on Lackland (about a million years ago). I remember touring the simulators and getting to watch the trainers also, as well as a flight in the belly of a C-130. I have spectacular memories of that week, but none so moving as those you reffered to. I'm eager to see the pics!

That sounds like an awsome adventure....
Wish I could jump on board....
But to many irons in the fire as it is...
Thanks for sharing with us...

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back