Go North, young man (or not so young man)

Excellent in all respects. Thanks for sharing with us. I am sure it has piqued the interest in many to replicate some part of your lengthy adventure.

Excellent in all respects. Thanks for sharing with us. I am sure it has piqued the interest in many to replicate some part of your lengthy adventure.
One of the air providers is doing a drawing in November for next years charter flights because they have so much interest - Ill bet it is mostly hunttalkers. :LOL: Another say they arent booking any more charters for next fall.

My name has bene on the list a while, but not for hunting or on this river - different river and I am interested in the dollies.

I cannot love this thread enough. I don't care how the rest of you vote, this is THE thread of the year.

The amount of planning, logistics, thought, care, effort, and execution that went into this rival the sum total I put into my life in a busy year.

Some people go to Home Depot during their days off. Theat goes on a walkabout in the Brooks Range.

I want to be @theat when I grow up.

Im glad you guys are enjoying the pics and story. I usually don't share a lot of what I do, but thought that this trip really deserved it.

One of the things that I really enjoy in the off season is spending time researching trips around the west that can be done diy and relatively cheap, but also have the potential to get away from the crowds. Sometimes this requires a lot of hard physical work or sometimes it just means going in the off seasons when the potential for bad weather keeps most people away.

This trip was obviously not a complete diy since we used an air transporter to get a good chunk of our gear and food brought in to us. Initially it was going to be super cheap (less than $40/person) as we were going to have our gear flown in on a flight already planned to pick up some sheep hunters after their hunt. Since the sheep season was closed in the area a few weeks before we left, we had to pay the full amount for the flight. Was still super reasonable when spilt between the 6 of us. Trips like this are also super dependent on have the right group of people that get along well and can work together in difficult and stressful situations for long periods of time. I have found that there are not a lot of people that fit that bill.

Took a break from updating this with the moose hunt portion of the trip to spend some time chasing elk. Ended up having a great week surrounded by bugling bulls with another hunt talk member. I got a nice bull in the same spot last archery season and got lucky again this year. These elk don't seem to be very willing to come in to calls, but I have managed to crawl in on bulls following their herd or putting myself in front of them.

Bull from last year (background edited for the protection of the spot)
DSCN8538.jpg

Bull from this week
IMG_0487.jpg

Great bull:cow ratio in this area and got to watch some good fights. My bull had a chunk of antler tip stuck in his cheek.
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 5.11.39 PM.png

IMG_0461.jpg

Can tell how much crawling around I was doing by the condition of my hand
IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

I'll add the moose hunt sometime in the next few days once I have this bull all cut up.

Wow. I missed this thread while hunting myself, and I am glad I stumbled upon it.

There have been some truly fantastic threads this year, but this is the best in my mind for the quality of the photography alone. Your juxtaposition of huge landscapes with the intricacies of the tundra close up provides a fantastic representation of the Brooks Range, which is a dream destination at some point in the next decade for me. Thanks for further fueling that urge, and sharing your genuine adventure with us.

Absolute masterpiece of a HT thread.

Alaska is amazing and I can’t wait to get back up there congratulations your awesome and successful trip!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back