Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

GMU 29 moose

I got an email today to inform me that I was next in line for a returned cow moose tag in unit 29! I know the moose numbers are not high in this area but I chose it due to the Relatively easy draw odds. I’m looking at hunting the Caribou Creek area. If anybody has been to this area and success for moose or been there and seen moose, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Season dates Oct. 1-14th

Last edited:
There are certainly moose up there. I think there is still a closure around Brainard Lake but not sure of the exact boundary. I live in Boulder and spend some time in the Indian Peaks and surrounding forest throughout the summer so I'll keep an eye out. A couple folks just got in a mix up with a cow moose at the West Magnolia trail system. Sounds like they got pretty banged up. I've seen moose up there. There are also a lot of bikers and dog walkers...

There are certainly moose up there. I think there is still a closure around Brainard Lake but not sure of the exact boundary. I live in Boulder and spend some time in the Indian Peaks and surrounding forest throughout the summer so I'll keep an eye out. A couple folks just got in a mix up with a cow moose at the West Magnolia trail system. Sounds like they got pretty banged up. I've seen moose up there. There are also a lot of bikers and dog walkers...
I’ve been looking at estimates populations and they have doubled in the past decade. I’m sure more and more encounters will take place especially with the amount of hikers/bikers that use the trail systems there.

Same here, I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya.

Good luck

Every single kill site is reported and mapped for the last 10ish years. Reach out to the biologist and request a copy of the GPS data. You will see there are clumps in specific drainages. That’s where I would start. It works well. D9CCC97E-2573-427A-A840-5448A626441E.jpeg

Every single kill site is reported and mapped for the last 10ish years. Reach out to the biologist and request a copy of the GPS data. You will see there are clumps in specific drainages. That’s where I would start. It works well. View attachment 227492
Wow that’s convenient. It almost kind of feels like cheating… Is that you with a cow moose? I’ve also never eaten moose before it’s good right? What would you compare it to?

Wow that’s convenient. It almost kind of feels like cheating… Is that you with a cow moose? I’ve also never eaten moose before it’s good right? What would you compare it to?
Not cheating, you have to report yours the same way, it’s public info. It is excellent and very close to beef. The grain structure is almost identical it’s just missing the fat content. Her fat was on the outside more than inter muscular.

Not cheating, you have to report yours the same way, it’s public info. It is excellent and very close to beef. The grain structure is almost identical it’s just missing the fat content. Her fat was on the outside more than inter muscular.
37921F8B-1F15-4250-A2C0-DC9E3B261A0B.jpeg

I think I shot my cow in 2015 about exactly where addicting shot his. She was huge.

UPDATE**
Headed home with with a cow calf. Saw a few bulls in the caribou creek/ horseshoe creek area. Ran into several hunters. We saw a cow with a calf right at dark Monday night. The next morning a hunter killed a cow about 1.5 miles from where we saw the cow and calf. Wondering if it was the same mom and calf we walked to the clearing and made a cow call. The calf showed herself less than 3 min later on the road (alone). Decided to take her.
She will be great eating I’m sure. Not to mention a much easier pack out. This was my first moose hunt and a great experience. This was the first hunt I’ve done with my Dad in probably 10 years and will not be forgotten.

Thank you everyone who shared advice with me

That calf will be delicious and if you got lucky she died on the road so should have been able to get her into the truck whole. Congrats!

I still packed her back down the road for the experience! Only about 1 mile from camp. Couldn’t have been much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back