Glassing/Finding Fall Bear

brymoore

I’m experienced at spring bear hunting but fall bears sightings have always been by coincidence as I did other hunts.

I’m going to spend some time in the next few weeks hunting fall bear.

I glasses some this weekend with no luck. All my spring areas are dry and the only fall berries I found are snowberry but no currants or hucks.

Where would you glass for fall bears if berries aren’t an option?

I’m experienced at spring bear hunting but fall bears sightings have always been by coincidence as I did other hunts.

I glasses some this weekend with no luck. All my spring areas are dry and the only fall berries I found are snowberry but no currants or hucks.

Acorn drops is what I've heard when berries are exhausted

I had success with both indian plums and choke cherries still holding out in draws. Not always easy places to glass though. A buddy of mine killed one that had been gorging on snowberry a few years ago.

good time to hunt the rivers for us. If no berries, gut piles, but dont know your laws and calling. Calling can bring in critters we dont want to deal with however.

Did you have a dry year ? look for areas where they have been digging also. Good luck, hope you get one

The grouse I got last weekend had crops full of either elderberries or tamarack needles.
I've never shot a fall bear, but I've seen a lot on old homesteads where there are old fruit trees. Apples and plums seem to be bear-nip.

Our Hawthorn trees and Service Berry trees are still loaded. Lots of apples still hanging.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've spent a lot of time glassing some promising looking areas and besides an uninvited visit at 2:30 in the morning near my tent, I haven't seen or heard a single bear.

Back