Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Glassing and burn areas

Bowhuntrben

I am finalizing plans for my elk hunt this fall. Assuming I don’t draw any of my long shot applications, I will be archery hunting elk probably the first week of September. The unit I am planning on hunting in Idaho generally ranges in elevation from 6000 to 8000 ft. Looking at onX and google earth, I’ve located some spots that seem like good glassing locations. There is a lot of historic burns in the area. I was wondering if it is likely I will actually be able to glass the burn areas, or will I still be stuck looking at only openings? It looks like the burns were in 2013 at the particular locations I’m thinking about glassing. There are other burns from 2007 in the area as well. In the past, I have done mostly walking and looking, and I’m wanting to start walking with my eyes instead to hopefully have a better chance at locating animals. I will have both a good set of binos and a spotter (hopefully a new spotter by fall, but I will have at a minimum my 20-60x80 Vortex).

Also, would you expect elk to bed in these burn areas, or will they seek the live timber that is remaining?

Right now, my assumption is that I will be able to see them in the burned areas if looking very carefully, particularly early/late when they are on the move and that they likely may bed in these areas if they are on north/east facing slopes.

Thanks for any advice offered!

It all depends on the intensity of the burn as well as the tree species and climate to some degree, but if you’re talking about lodgepoles there’s a good chance that new trees will be growing pretty thick. I killed an elk in a 2007 burn in 2015, and the elk were bedded on a north facing slope in thick new lodgepoles that were about 3-4 feet high. That combined with the deadfall made for some miserable walking and meat packing.

Second what's stated above. If it was more of a mature ponderosa/doug fir stand that burned, you should be able to glass it pretty thoroughly.

IME, if you can find a small unburned patch surrounded by a lot of historic burn, that's a good place to look for beds.

I would say depending on the particular burn, it could be a nightmare? I've ridden horse through forest fire aftermath on trails after they were cleared. This particular burn area had been Aspen forest, and the downed trees were like giant pick up sticks. You'd be straddling endless trees just to get through that kind of country and I don't think the game are thrilled about it either. A thinner stand might be doable? Then, again depending on the area, regrowth of vegetation can make it thick and difficult to see very far too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back