Gimme an opinion

choc dogs

My late father built a sears model 53 that was originally a 243 into a 6.5x308. It’s still got the short magazine, and the bolt stop to make it a short action. It’ll chamber and shoot 260 ammo, I’ve shot reloads, and everything is acceptable, but not great. It’s also basically a duplicate rifle, I’ve got a man bun, all of my boys have Swedes. So….. what to do with it. I’ve got several of my father’s rifles, all of which have way more sentimental value, hunts with dad, hunts with siblings, his 375 that was such a part of his dream to live in Alaska. (That he realized after all the kids left the house).

I’ve thought about having it rebored. 338 federal? Return it to 243? 6mm Remington? Unscrew the barrel and have it rechambered in something else 6.5? Leave it alone and take to the range for trigger practice? I dunno, but I hate it just sitting in the safe.

Clean it and safe it. Its an heirloom. I wouldn't but it sounds like good advice. What would your father think?

Clean it and safe it. Its an heirloom. I wouldn't but it sounds like good advice. What would your father think?
My father never left anything alone. I’ve got his model 70 270 (new buttpad)and model 12 (re welded charge bars)he bought the year before my parents were married, I’ve got the pre 64 get 308 he cut down that all of my siblings used to kill our first deer. I’ve got the model 24(?) that we carried before we could big game hunt to make sure grouse, and rabbits made it into the camp pot, and others as well that have memories attached. This was an addition after all of us moved out, and doesn’t carry much sentimental value. I also have calibers that punch most holes from .24-375

Give it a bed/free float if it's not already. If it doesn't shoot as well as you want to after that, new barrel.

I'd get it rebarrelled to something like a 358 Win or 338 Federal. Your dad obviously liked to tinker with firearms, so let that be part of the shared history, rather than simply keeping something the way he had it. I've rebarrelled two of the guns that were either Dad's or were given to me by my father. That added to the fondness I have for those two firearms more than if I had kept them the way they were, and left in a safe. Creating a shared history between you, your father and your kids is why these items become heirlooms, not the actual object itself.

I like Ben’s suggestion, because that’s what I’m sorta inclined to do anyway. There’s absolutely nothing “wrong” with it, chambered like it is, and the lazy &$”@ part of me thinks that simply bedding, or maybe using the stock blank dad had sitting around and then bedding it is a project to undertake. I’m sort of paralyzed by analysis, inertia is carrying me along as I go with this. I guess I’ll contemplate this some more. Thanks everyone who commented for the input.

Since your dad was a tinkerer, and this particular rifle is not attached to any particular memories, sounds like a great candidate to keep your dad’s legacy by “improving” the gun.

I like Ben Lamb’s idea. Rebarrel it to something that you’ll use, and/or something that your dad would have liked.

Send it to JES Reboring, http://www.35caliber.com/ and have him rebore it to 338 Federal. Would be the most inexpensive option and I have heard he does great work and has a fast turnaround. Then it would just be a matter of finding components for reloading. If I can find a shot out donor '06 or .270, I plan on sending it to him to rebore to 35 Whelen.

Back