Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Getting Permission

Nathan

My last post created a lot of messages asking about the ranches I got permission to hunt and instead of telling everyone no or even worse telling them yes and having the ranchers swarmed with calls I decided the best thing I could do is tell you exactly what I did that got me a “YES” on more ranches than I could possibly hunt.

The first thing I did was look at the map on OnX and pick a unit. While most pick a unit with as much public land as possible I knew having zero points that was a bad move for me. My thinking was the limited public would get pounded so I picked my unit based solely on the fact that I knew it was 100% second choice.

Next I waited until I had been awarded a tag. Once I knew I had a tag and what unit (always a chance I drew 1st choice no matter how small the chance) I went back to OnX and started writing down a list of all the ranch owners who had considerable amount of land. I also got the county road map and found all the public that could be accessed from the road and made waypoints on those chunks of public.

Now the work really begins. I sat down with a pen and notebook and hand wrote letters to each rancher on my list. The reason I chose hand written was because it’s personal. Everyone calls or shoots an email. Typing the letter is better than a call but in my opinion hand written is the best. I have bad penmanship so I wrote slow and as clear as possible with the words.

My letter contained who I was, why I was writing, a little bio about myself, a little history about me, and how they can contact me. At end of this post I will give an example.

I mailed a few letters the first time. I think somewhere between 10-15. All hand written. I heard back from 6. I got a few that were trespass fees more than I wanted to pay, I got 2 that were within my range. I also got a couple responses letting me know that the answer was no.

After the first wave I went back on OnX and made another list of ranches and sent another 10-15 letters. The second batch didn’t get as much response but it got me my first free ranch.

At this point I chose 3 ranches I was going to hunt. 1 was $100 and I could camp right on the ranch. 1 was a roll of barb wire. And the 3rd was free.

I know some guys refuse to pay anything and others will pay a good amount. I can tell you most of the responses I got that had a trespass fee were between $300 and $750. I thanked them for responding but declined. I saved their info and have sent other hunters to them who were willing to pay.

So here is an example of a letter I would send.

Hello Sir or Ma’am,

My name is ___________ and I am from ________.
The reason I am writing you today is I drew an Antelope tag for unit _____ and I am hoping to secure private land for my hunt.

A little about myself. I am 42 years old and I drive a semi for a living now but most of my life was spent in construction. I am a veteran who served on active duty Army. I grew up working on farms both dairy and crops. My first job at 11 was picking rocks out of fields after school so the farmers could plant. I know how to leave gates how I found them and know not to shoot around livestock. I also believe in leaving the land better than I found it.

I’m not opposed to paying a reasonable trespass fee but plan to bring some Wisconsin staples to show my appreciation.

I plan to be in Wyoming from _______ to _____. I will be hunting myself.

Im not going to waste any more of your time. If you would be willing to let me hunt your property this fall you can reach me at _________ or my email is ________.

Thank You,

I hope this gives you some ideas. It worked well for me.

Last piece of advice. When they call use Sir or Ma’am and thank you. If it’s a yes be sure to tell them you appreciate it. I feel this goes a long ways.

The first rancher who called me didn’t give me a yes right away. He said he was considering it and told me to call back closer to October. I honestly believe that first phone call was an interview. He hasn’t let anyone hunt his ranch besides family or friends for over 10 years. I am 100% confident my letter got me that phone interview and my phone etiquette got me the permission.

Hope this post is helpful.

Great post. I am an eastern hunter that joined this forum as a resource for researching my out-west hunts, including a trip to Wyoming for pronghorn in 2021 or 22.

Thank you for sharing this info with everyone.

Thank you for sharing all of this. Ive always heard folks talk about getting permission and paying trespass fees, but I was never sure about how to approach it.

I did something like this in eastern Colorado where I hunted plains deer for more than 30 years. It helped that I had family in the area. I offerred to exchange work, repairing fences and helping them where I could in excuse for hunting permissions. When I left Colorado in 2003, I effectively had permissions to hunt close to 250 square miles of deeded land plus whatever BLM land was there. I also went on referrals from one landowner to another too.

Great post I’m a pretty good ranch hand but don’t really hunt where’s there’s private land. If I did draw a tag where private land was necessary I would go knock on doors and offer my service. Fixing fence is a big deal for most ranchers. Get yourself a golden rod stretcher, hammer and a good set of pliers and your good to go. Ya handyman jack to pull old ties or post but basics.

Great post I’m a pretty good ranch hand but don’t really hunt where’s there’s private land. If I did draw a tag where private land was necessary I would go knock on doors and offer my service. Fixing fence is a big deal for most ranchers. Get yourself a golden rod stretcher, hammer and a good set of pliers and your good to go. Ya handyman jack to pull old ties or post but basics.

I never did post replacements. The farmers I hunted on had rigs to dig post holes off the back of their tractors, though I did help a few. I did repair barbed wire in Colorado for the ones I hunted on in Washington and Lincoln Counties. Had it stretched to tight a few times and had it snapped. So glad I was on the right side of the fence stretcher. My dad always cautioned that can decapitate you. I have a Goldenrod stretcher in the shed that is probably rusted now. Haven't used it in Wyoming yet.

Right three point tractors have the ability to have augers but rancher aren’t going to let you go out with their tractor and complete such task. Sheer pins and all it’s not easy out this way. Pound t post in the spring.

I’ve also found that calling the rancher directly on the phone to be beneficial. Most ranchers welcome hunters it is part of their working ranch business. Often you’ll find guys come back year after year so finding a ranch to hunt on may not always be so easy for that reason. But I agree a nice letter works too. Good luck!

Last edited:
Great post, I have never thought of writing letters that’s a great approach.
Honestly I have found Wyoming ranchers to be the most hunter friendly of all the states I’ve hunted. A lot lease out, or only let family members or don’t allow hunting. But there are plenty that if approached or contacted will allow for small fee or free. Being polite and respectful can go along way. I should draw a type 2 tag this year and have 3 different ranches lined up, all no fee. I think your right there definitely is a feeling out period on there part. For example one rancher said “I really wasn’t planning on letting anyone hunt this year”. I said that’s fine I understand and we got to talking and by the time the conversation ended he offered to let me come out and hunt his property.

Great post, I have never thought of writing letters that’s a great approach.
Honestly I have found Wyoming ranchers to be the most hunter friendly of all the states I’ve hunted. A lot lease out, or only let family members or don’t allow hunting. But there are plenty that if approached or contacted will allow for small fee or free. Being polite and respectful can go along way. I should draw a type 2 tag this year and have 3 different ranches lined up, all no fee. I think your right there definitely is a feeling out period on there part. For example one rancher said “I really wasn’t planning on letting anyone hunt this year”. I said that’s fine I understand and we got to talking and by the time the conversation ended he offered to let me come out and hunt his property.

Not my experience yet, maybe I am asking the wrong ones. I don't doubt your experience but for me outfitters seem to have the upper hand on many of the ranches especially by Elk Mountain. Lucrative hunting leases take access away from the overage joe in my experience. I did hunt on Nimmo ranch for deer and antelope until they made it an HMA and what you suggest is exactly what I did. Didn't cost me a dime though. They got the landowner coupons that I think got them $25 per hunter. Now that I am healed up from all my surgeries, I am venturing out and need to spend time approaching private landowners. In Colorado, I had no problem. But Wyoming I compete with outfitters and haven't stood much a chance.

Something that I am going to add to this thread, what ruins access for everyone and is really bad in some areas is people that don't pack their trash out or close gates. I have seen a number of landowners tell me I can hunt but they don't want anyone else coming on their property. When I was a teen living on a farm in Masters, Colorado, my dad and uncle stopped letting people hunt because of gates being left open and the amount of trash that was left behind.

Not my experience yet, maybe I am asking the wrong ones. I don't doubt your experience but for me outfitters seem to have the upper hand on many of the ranches especially by Elk Mountain. Lucrative hunting leases take access away from the overage joe in my experience. I did hunt on Nimmo ranch for deer and antelope until they made it an HMA and what you suggest is exactly what I did. Didn't cost me a dime though. They got the landowner coupons that I think got them $25 per hunter. Now that I am healed up from all my surgeries, I am venturing out and need to spend time approaching private landowners. In Colorado, I had no problem. But Wyoming I compete with outfitters and haven't stood much a chance.
I hunt the western side of the state, I have been told it is a lot different like you mentioned in eastern Wyoming. I have hunted Colorado many times and still do and never could get access for free. My first year there was 1988 and if remember right we payed $400 for a group of 6 that was for Deer and Elk.

I have seen a number of landowners tell me I can hunt but they don't want anyone else coming on their property.

This is what the first rancher told me when he did finally offer permission.

He said I’m giving you permission, don’t be showing up with a bunch of buddies.

I've had great luck in eastern Wyo getting permission with phone calls. The rancher we work for does not respond to letters.
The roll of barbed wire is a good fee, hadn't heard of that one yet.
Nice write up Nathan, respect and manners go a long way out here.

I am thinking of focussing on ranches that I figure are to small for an outfitter, especially for pronghorn. There are some that are 1000 acres or less close by. Not really big enough for an outfitter, but hopefully enough for me and my wife to take a few doe pronghorn off their hands in exchange for landowner coupons! Also working on connecting 5 sequential landowners, each has about 100 acres we drive past it on our way to public and there's always pronghorn there. we have permission on one and hoping to chain them together!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back