Getting old school, new tech-New CVA Scout 35 Whelen

old270hunter

Had some cc points burning a hole in my pocket, and my interests are long rooted in the 30’06 case. The 35 Whelen has always intrigued me as well as single shot rifles. Modern rifles are truly magnificent now, as are optics. They are far better machined than those of 30 years ago or more. So I took the light plunge and got a CVA Scout in 35 Whelen and will scope it up with a 2x7. Seems like a fun cheap gun. I don’t think I’ve ever shot anything over 300 yards in my life, so seems like a decent fit. This will be my first step into anything over .30 caliber, and I’m hoping this is a good fit for my hunting travels. Happy to take input on factory ammo experiences, as my handloading days are done.

I love the choice. I have already read about the 35 and it’s contribution to a lot of what we use today, but I have never fired one. Keep us updated on the gun when it’s in your hands, how it shoots and when you end up using it in the field.

Good luck finding factory ammo.
They make a great moose gun and a fabulous elk gun.
I’d probably never hunt moose, but seems a safe bet for cow elk, bear n deer. I researched up some ammo, seems easy enough to order up, but is a bit pricey. I’m a bit surprised by offerings as low as 180gr. Another guy at the range a few months back let me shoot a couple rounds through his cva in 35 whelen. Think he said he was using 200’s and 225‘s

I picked up a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen last summer from a fellow hunt talker. Thus far I’ve been able to find 180 grain TTSX, 200 grain Fusions, and 250 grain Core Lokts. Mine seems to like the 200 grain Fusions the best so far. It does not shoot the 250 Core Lokts very well. I’m hoping to find some 225 grain Accubonds, but not holding my breath.

View attachment 228614
They got ‘em…but like my .444 marlin they almost 5$ a shot!
I picked up a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen last summer from a fellow hunt talker. Thus far I’ve been able to find 180 grain TTSX, 200 grain Fusions, and 250 grain Core Lokts. Mine seems to like the 200 grain Fusions the best so far. It does not shoot the 250 Core Lokts very well. I’m hoping to find some 225 grain Accubonds, but not holding my breath.
Just found and ordered some 225 Accubonds from Choice ammunition. Pretty pricey for loaded ammo, but it’s available.

I am in the process of buying a CVA 35 whelen , 200 gr fusion will be my go to , 225 federal partitions next
hunting everything from whitetail to nilgai, elk
should be good to 300+ 👍👍👍
That’s the same gun I believe, V2 with the muzzle brake. Loaded ammo is definitely in the more difficult range to find, but it is findable. I spent my afternoon looking in person and online. Choice ammunition has a selection still, so I did order some. Other retailers I looked at were either completely out, or only had the 180 Barnes, or the 250 Softpoint.

That’s the same gun I believe, V2 with the muzzle brake. Loaded ammo is definitely in the more difficult range to find, but it is findable. I spent my afternoon looking in person and online. Choice ammunition has a selection still, so I did order some. Other retailers I looked at were either completely out, or only had the 180 Barnes, or the 250 Softpoint.
Yep 180 barnes or Remington 250

Yep 180 barnes or Remington 250
Cool link. Thanks for that. Hoping the 225 accubonds I picked up will shoot. If they do, that’s all I will feed it for whatever. Choice ammo says the 225‘s come out at 2715, so guessing in a 25” they will be in the 2750 range. With a bc of 416, that will certainly do for my max of 300-350yds.

Had some cc points burning a hole in my pocket, and my interests are long rooted in the 30’06 case. The 35 Whelen has always intrigued me as well as single shot rifles. Modern rifles are truly magnificent now, as are optics. They are far better machined than those of 30 years ago or more. So I took the light plunge and got a CVA Scout in 35 Whelen and will scope it up with a 2x7. Seems like a fun cheap gun. I don’t think I’ve ever shot anything over 300 yards in my life, so seems like a decent fit. This will be my first step into anything over .30 caliber, and I’m hoping this is a good fit for my hunting travels. Happy to take input on factory ammo experiences, as my handloading days are done.
I bought a bunch (10) of old Remington 700's last year on-line and several had barrels/calibers I wasn't interested in keeping. I had several bored out and re-chambered. The oldest rifle, a four digit ser.#5xxx ADL in .270 had the worst barrel interior I've ever seen so I sent it out for reboring and chambering to .35 Whelen. I've been really busy and was only able to get it to the range few times with newly-reformed/reloaded X-30-06 to .35 Whelen brass with 225gr. and 250 250. Hornady bullets and it sighted in well. Now that I'm back in country I'll have more time to work up hunting loads and get back to you all.

BIG P.S. HERE! (Tangential side bar)

I'm also working with a gunsmith on re-barreling a Rem 700x7mm Mag to .375 H&H Mag (re-boring won't work) and read numerous contributors on other sites stating that you need an "extra long" Rem Mag action to do this for reasons that the cartridge OAL was too long and that the box magazines we're too short. I measured the magazines in my .458 Win Mag (from the old 1970's Remington Custom Shop), my 8mm Rem Mag, my 7mm Rem Mag, and my 30-06; All Rem 700's and all the same length box and same length actions with interchangeable bolts. I then loaded each rifle box magazine with loaded .375 H&H cartridges and they all accepted 3-rounds each ( I didn't attempt to close the bolts). Bottom line, there are only production short and long Rem 700 magazines.
duckklr

Last edited:
Update: Finally got back into town and picked up the gun. I am a bit surprised how good the machining is on this gun. I am very impressed with the trigger. That trigger has no discernable creep, and it's less than 3lbs on the pull. This gun is light too, lighter than I expected. The barrel is fairly thick, and fluted, which is why I was a bit surprised at the weight. Picked up some Weaver Grand Slam rings and a Burris 3x9 Fullfield2 to drop on it instead of my original 2x7 Leupold. I will say it does not feel as balanced in my hands as a couple of my better bolt guns, and feels a bit front heavy. It does seem to steady on my monopod hunting rest well though. All told, I think the whole package comes in at less than 600 bucks. Bad news is the ammo I've purchased is about half the price of the entire package. Going to be interested to see how this dollar store rig shoots, and will give that update in a few weeks. I have 225 Accubonds and 200 Fusions to shoot.

Mounted the scope today. For anyone buying this rifle, you need to remove the rail and clean the screws and screw wells to remove oil. The rail was not torqued down at all and bordered on loose, in out of the box condition. The medium Weaver Grand Slam rings were perfect for the 40mm bell on the scope.
F3BCB8A4-F8E1-4C1E-92F9-A5B4C79B6FCB.jpeg

Attachments

• 5CD50963-7B53-4A30-A5A5-8E86EB1807C7.jpeg
    5CD50963-7B53-4A30-A5A5-8E86EB1807C7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
I’ve got that same rifle in 350 legend in the safe right now. It’s my dad’s but it’s on loan for the boys at the moment. It locks up sturdy and is plenty accurate. Good luck with the whelen.

Range day today with the new rig. Got sighted in and started poking out to 200, 300, 400, and then started shooting groups. Used the 200gr Fed Fusion and the Choice Ammo 225gr Accubond. The 200gr Fusion shot fine, right at 1" for 3 shot groups at 100. The Choice Ammo 225gr Accubonds shot 3/4" for 3 shot groups at 100. Works A-ok for me.

Now what I did not expect, is that the Choice Ammo 225gr Accubond seems to be loaded a bit hotter than the 200 Fusion. (The Fed box says muzzle velocity is 2800fps for the 200gr, and the Choice Ammo box says 2715fps for the 225gr). Don't know who is off, but one of them is. No chronograph used though. The POI on the Choice Ammo 225gr Accubond is fully 3" higher at 100yds than the 200gr Fusion. I ended up adjusting/zeroing for the 225 Accubond at 2.5" high at 100 on paper, and verified POI at 200 to be just a touch above 0, and at 300 POI was about 6-7" low on painted steel targets. No groups shot at 200 or 300, but hits were centered on windage based on the splat. Conditions were under 5mph, no gusts. I was pretty impressed with the 225gr Accubond, and it looks like that's what I will be feeding this thing for whatever. (no, I won't be using it in CA)

The recoil and sound are completely manageable (seemed about like my non-braked 270win). LOVE the trigger, and the Burris 3x9x40 Fullfield II seems fine. The nice big holes in the paper and the wide splats on painted steel plates sure make it easy on an old man to see what's going on, without going to the spotting scope after each shot. So seems like a decent setup so far, and I can't complain.

IMG_3572.jpg

I had a Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen years ago. It shot under an inch at 100 yards with most everything those big holes pretty much cut everything to about 1.25". I bedded it and adjusted the trigger put a 1.5-5 Leupold on it as I was living on the coast in Western Oregon and used it little for elk. Never did get a shot at one. I know that you are not handloading/reloading as noted in your post however I found 225 gr Nosler accubonds and RL15 shot over 2700fps and were very accurate. Back then though the only factory ammo I could buy was 200gr and 250gr Remingtons. I have a buddy that wants a CVA in 35 Whelen I will show him this post. I ended up selling that rifle years ago for far less than any of it worth now-can't buy the scope for what I sold it for.

I may have some extra ammo laying around if someone needs some. I reload for the 35 and have tons of loaded ammo and components. Mine shoots great with 200 gr. TTSX

Attachments

• 9A71B2A2-D49D-47DC-B627-D859679B353B.jpeg
    9A71B2A2-D49D-47DC-B627-D859679B353B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back