Getting old school, new tech-New CVA Scout 35 Whelen

old270hunter

Had some cc points burning a hole in my pocket, and my interests are long rooted in the 30’06 case. The 35 Whelen has always intrigued me as well as single shot rifles. Modern rifles are truly magnificent now, as are optics. They are far better machined than those of 30 years ago or more. So I took the light plunge and got a CVA Scout in 35 Whelen and will scope it up with a 2x7. Seems like a fun cheap gun. I don’t think I’ve ever shot anything over 300 yards in my life, so seems like a decent fit. This will be my first step into anything over .30 caliber, and I’m hoping this is a good fit for my hunting travels. Happy to take input on factory ammo experiences, as my handloading days are done.

GoGriz1234

I love the choice. I have already read about the 35 and it’s contribution to a lot of what we use today, but I have never fired one. Keep us updated on the gun when it’s in your hands, how it shoots and when you end up using it in the field.

old270hunter

Good luck finding factory ammo.
They make a great moose gun and a fabulous elk gun.
I’d probably never hunt moose, but seems a safe bet for cow elk, bear n deer. I researched up some ammo, seems easy enough to order up, but is a bit pricey. I’m a bit surprised by offerings as low as 180gr. Another guy at the range a few months back let me shoot a couple rounds through his cva in 35 whelen. Think he said he was using 200’s and 225‘s

MNHunter67

I picked up a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen last summer from a fellow hunt talker. Thus far I’ve been able to find 180 grain TTSX, 200 grain Fusions, and 250 grain Core Lokts. Mine seems to like the 200 grain Fusions the best so far. It does not shoot the 250 Core Lokts very well. I’m hoping to find some 225 grain Accubonds, but not holding my breath.

old270hunter

View attachment 228614
They got ‘em…but like my .444 marlin they almost 5$ a shot!
I picked up a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen last summer from a fellow hunt talker. Thus far I’ve been able to find 180 grain TTSX, 200 grain Fusions, and 250 grain Core Lokts. Mine seems to like the 200 grain Fusions the best so far. It does not shoot the 250 Core Lokts very well. I’m hoping to find some 225 grain Accubonds, but not holding my breath.
Just found and ordered some 225 Accubonds from Choice ammunition. Pretty pricey for loaded ammo, but it’s available.

old270hunter

I am in the process of buying a CVA 35 whelen , 200 gr fusion will be my go to , 225 federal partitions next
hunting everything from whitetail to nilgai, elk
should be good to 300+ 👍👍👍
That’s the same gun I believe, V2 with the muzzle brake. Loaded ammo is definitely in the more difficult range to find, but it is findable. I spent my afternoon looking in person and online. Choice ammunition has a selection still, so I did order some. Other retailers I looked at were either completely out, or only had the 180 Barnes, or the 250 Softpoint.

S-3 Ranch

That’s the same gun I believe, V2 with the muzzle brake. Loaded ammo is definitely in the more difficult range to find, but it is findable. I spent my afternoon looking in person and online. Choice ammunition has a selection still, so I did order some. Other retailers I looked at were either completely out, or only had the 180 Barnes, or the 250 Softpoint.
Yep 180 barnes or Remington 250

old270hunter

Yep 180 barnes or Remington 250
Cool link. Thanks for that. Hoping the 225 accubonds I picked up will shoot. If they do, that’s all I will feed it for whatever. Choice ammo says the 225‘s come out at 2715, so guessing in a 25” they will be in the 2750 range. With a bc of 416, that will certainly do for my max of 300-350yds.

duckklr

Had some cc points burning a hole in my pocket, and my interests are long rooted in the 30’06 case. The 35 Whelen has always intrigued me as well as single shot rifles. Modern rifles are truly magnificent now, as are optics. They are far better machined than those of 30 years ago or more. So I took the light plunge and got a CVA Scout in 35 Whelen and will scope it up with a 2x7. Seems like a fun cheap gun. I don’t think I’ve ever shot anything over 300 yards in my life, so seems like a decent fit. This will be my first step into anything over .30 caliber, and I’m hoping this is a good fit for my hunting travels. Happy to take input on factory ammo experiences, as my handloading days are done.
I bought a bunch (10) of old Remington 700's last year on-line and several had barrels/calibers I wasn't interested in keeping. I had several bored out and re-chambered. The oldest rifle, a four digit ser.#5xxx ADL in .270 had the worst barrel interior I've ever seen so I sent it out for reboring and chambering to .35 Whelen. I've been really busy and was only able to get it to the range few times with newly-reformed/reloaded X-30-06 to .35 Whelen brass with 225gr. and 250 250. Hornady bullets and it sighted in well. Now that I'm back in country I'll have more time to work up hunting loads and get back to you all.

BIG P.S. HERE! (Tangential side bar)

I'm also working with a gunsmith on re-barreling a Rem 700x7mm Mag to .375 H&H Mag (re-boring won't work) and read numerous contributors on other sites stating that you need an "extra long" Rem Mag action to do this for reasons that the cartridge OAL was too long and that the box magazines we're too short. I measured the magazines in my .458 Win Mag (from the old 1970's Remington Custom Shop), my 8mm Rem Mag, my 7mm Rem Mag, and my 30-06; All Rem 700's and all the same length box and same length actions with interchangeable bolts. I then loaded each rifle box magazine with loaded .375 H&H cartridges and they all accepted 3-rounds each ( I didn't attempt to close the bolts). Bottom line, there are only production short and long Rem 700 magazines.
duckklr

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccvfd1201