Getting Moose Meat Home

Mote270

So a buddy and I will be doing a drop camp moose hunt in 2017 in Alaska. I have already started doing research and prep work for the trip (because I am just that excited). Anyways one of our toughest decisions is what to do if we kill one or two... We live in Oregon and have considered driving to Alaska but I would much rather fly due to time. So our dilemma is do we ship ALL the meat home? Ship some of it home? Take some on the plane and ship our gear home?... I have had moose before and absolutely love it but not sure if we could afford to bring it all or not. Just thought I would see what some of you have done and get some tips. Thanks!

So a buddy and I will be doing a drop camp moose hunt in 2017 in Alaska. I have already started doing research and prep work for the trip (because I am just that excited). Anyways one of our toughest decisions is what to do if we kill one or two... We live in Oregon and have considered driving to Alaska but I would much rather fly due to time. So our dilemma is do we ship ALL the meat home? Ship some of it home? Take some on the plane and ship our gear home?... I have had moose before and absolutely love it but not sure if we could afford to bring it all or not. Just thought I would see what some of you have done and get some tips. Thanks!

Far cheaper to check it as baggage and pay the fees. You can then ship your gear home at the lowest rates.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/baggage-checked.aspx

Look at this guy my buddy used him a few years back great service.

http://www.alaskameatexpress.com/

He has a 2015 link on his site looks like he running this year if nothing changes even though doesn't look like stops are close to you maybe you can work into it.

Last edited:
alaska meat express

my wife and I went to alaska on a moose hunt this past year on our honeymoon. we shipped our meat, hide, moose antlers and a caribou shed all for a flat rate of $750. you wont find a better rate to ship an entire moose worth of meat. He is always up for bartering as well. great guy. give him a call. last i knew there were no reservations so you call him once you have an animal.

Does this guy come down thru B.C. ? I wonder if he delivers to the west coast?

Looks like closest stop out west is Bozeman not sure about his route out of AK. Here are this years stops so far.

THREE FORKS, MT
BILLINGS, MT
GILLETTE, WY
RAPID CITY, SD
SIOUX FALLS, SD
ALBERT LEA, MN
TOMAH, WI
MADISON, WI
BATTLE CREEK, MI
TOLEDO, OH
YOUNGSTOWN,OH

Hunted moose out of Bethel in 2010. Our transporter came and got the meat and took it back to his freezer. When it came time to go home, we spent a day back in town packing gear, cutting meat and filling 50lb waxed cardboard fish boxes, got them as close to frozen as we could that last night, then checked them as baggage on the plane ride home. It worked slick, the cargo hold in a commercial plane is close to freezing temps. I can't remember how many checked bags AK Air allows, but we were maxed out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back