Yeti GOBOX Collection

Getting into traditional muzzleloading

Sheltowee

[Paging @Buckskins&BlackPowder, @Buckskins&BlackPowder you are needed in Aisle 3]

I picked up a gently used Remington 700 Ultimate this summer and outfitted it with a set of Williams WHRS sights for my fall pronghorn and deer hunts. It is fantastically accurate within 100 yards with 250gr. Thors and 84 grains by weight of BH209. But… it has the soul of a Tesla.

I’m a huge history buff and feel a little bit dirty toting this most modern evolution of a muzzleloader on the same plains and mountains as Carson and Bridger. To that end, the traditional muzzy bug has bitten me pretty bad. I’ll still carry the Remington on my hunts this fall but, *if* I was to pull the trigger (and then wait for the click, then wait for the boom) on a traditional rifle, these are the candidates:

-Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken: probably the most historically appropriate for the Front Range but not sure of the accuracy. Would lean toward a .54 but .50 seems to offer much more readily available commercial bullets. I think I would prefer conicals but could be convinced to shoot PRBs if they are of somewhat similar efficiency. Does the .54 bore offer that much of an advantage over a .50?

-Pedersoli Two Band Enfield: the American Civil War (or as some of the old folks still refer to it, The Late Unpleasantness) was my first love in history. The 1858 Enfield is a trim, easy handling weapon reputed to have stellar accuracy. My concern is that a .577 slug weighing 530 grains will have the trajectory of a cinder block. Would I be handicapping myself too much using this caliber?

-Pedersoli Whitworth/Volunteer: the most anachronistic in the Old West, but almost certainly the most accurate at long range. However, they would be the heaviest, least maneuverable rifles on this list and are only available in .45 caliber, so elk and moose would be out.

Leader at the turn is the Missouri River in .54 but would like to hear input from some of y’all who regularly shoot and hunt with traditional muzzleloaders. Penny for y’all’s thoughts?

Gorgeous rifle. Any tips or tricks you’ve picked up shooting it?
Thanks! Not a lot of advice I can give as I’m hardly an expert yet but I can say it’s been a lot of fun and it’s not yet failed to go off when I pulled the trigger.

I have recently gotten into it myself. I built this Traditions flintlock .50 over the winter. View attachment 237059
This is a beauteous rifle!

If you want to go the other way like me, you can get a Traditions Hawken 50 bargain bin for a little over $300 (maybe $400 these days). Shoots straight, kills plenty of stuff. Im sure Jeremiah Johnson (or Carson and Bridger) wasnt a form over function guy either. 😜

This is a beauteous rifle!

If you want to go the other way like me, you can get a Traditions Hawken 50 bargain bin for a little over $300 (maybe $400 these days). Shoots straight, kills plenty of stuff. Im sure Jeremiah Johnson (or Carson and Bridger) wasnt a form over function guy either. 😜
Thanks! I wouldn’t mind having a Hawken one day either.

For me, it would be a no brainer from among the ones you have listed. The Hawken every time. But I would probably not choose a Pedersoli, though they may be good rifles.
Maybe this one https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/1/AAU-333
or this one for a little more money
On the cheap
Or I would shop around a dozen different places, on line, and find just the right older, home/hand made rifle. It would be .54 for certain (Note, I believe only .54 and above are legal elk rifles in Colorado, using a roundball).

I bought this one used from the https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ classifieds a year or two ago.
IMG_9894.jpg

Another good place to look is https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/
Along with all the usual places of course.

Good luck to you...

2011 Antelope Doe & Flinter.JPG

A .54 T/C Renegade would serve you well. Maybe pick one up off consignment or an estate sale? Buying used I‘ll utilize a piece of printer paper jammed halfway down the barrel then light it up with a flashlight. Light will reflect and show barrel imperfections not seen right at the muzzle.

A .54 T/C Renegade would serve you well. Maybe pick one up off consignment or an estate sale? Buying used I‘ll utilize a piece of printer paper jammed halfway down the barrel then light it up with a flashlight. Light will reflect and show barrel imperfections not seen right at the muzzle.
There are 1 AAA CELL flashlights that will slide down a .54.

[Paging @Buckskins&BlackPowder, @Buckskins&BlackPowder you are needed in Aisle 3]

I picked up a gently used Remington 700 Ultimate this summer and outfitted it with a set of Williams WHRS sights for my fall pronghorn and deer hunts. It is fantastically accurate within 100 yards with 250gr. Thors and 84 grains by weight of BH209. But… it has the soul of a Tesla.

I’m a huge history buff and feel a little bit dirty toting this most modern evolution of a muzzleloader on the same plains and mountains as Carson and Bridger. To that end, the traditional muzzy bug has bitten me pretty bad. I’ll still carry the Remington on my hunts this fall but, *if* I was to pull the trigger (and then wait for the click, then wait for the boom) on a traditional rifle, these are the candidates:

-Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken: probably the most historically appropriate for the Front Range but not sure of the accuracy. Would lean toward a .54 but .50 seems to offer much more readily available commercial bullets. I think I would prefer conicals but could be convinced to shoot PRBs if they are of somewhat similar efficiency. Does the .54 bore offer that much of an advantage over a .50?

-Pedersoli Two Band Enfield: the American Civil War (or as some of the old folks still refer to it, The Late Unpleasantness) was my first love in history. The 1858 Enfield is a trim, easy handling weapon reputed to have stellar accuracy. My concern is that a .577 slug weighing 530 grains will have the trajectory of a cinder block. Would I be handicapping myself too much using this caliber?

-Pedersoli Whitworth/Volunteer: the most anachronistic in the Old West, but almost certainly the most accurate at long range. However, they would be the heaviest, least maneuverable rifles on this list and are only available in .45 caliber, so elk and moose would be out.

Leader at the turn is the Missouri River in .54 but would like to hear input from some of y’all who regularly shoot and hunt with traditional muzzleloaders. Penny for y’all’s thoughts?
The Pedersoli will be a tack driver - the Hawken that is. They have made a very nice plains rifle. If you are going traditional, I would recommend the .54, and use patched round ball. Plenty of umph for elk, deer, and will serve you well if you get really hooked and start playing the rendezvous game. I have a scratch-built .50, which is great for mule deer, but I would not use it on elk. The Missouri is a looker - and a shooter. And PRB is going to serve you as well as bullets since your eyesight will be your limitation, not the ball/bullet.

So an update to this: it looks like the Missouri River Hawken comes only in .45 and 50, whereas the much slower twist, roundball-only Rocky Mountain Hawken is available in .54. Given that and my preference to shoot bullets rather than PRB, I think the Missouri River in .50 is where I’m leaning.

The TC Renegade 54 will shoot PRB or the Maxi-ball. The Maxi-ball is a big hunk of lead that will punch a big hole and penetrate, plus it will add energy.
Ain’t that some truth! All of us with .54s have put 120 charge behind a maxi at least one time. Minute of deer at 50yds, but it’ll thump anything on Earth.

the traditional muzzy bug has bitten me pretty bad. *if* I was to pull the trigger (and then wait for the click, then wait for the boom) on a traditional rifle, these are the candidates:

Waiting on clicks , and booms?

I think if you found a traditional shoot to go to you could learn a lot, and answer all your questions. Do you have any nearby?

This country wouldn't exist today, if our forefathers were waiting on clicks, and booms. Not to mention the scary lethality of patched round balls.

"*if* I was to pull the trigger (and then wait for the click, then wait for the boom) on a traditional rifle, these are the candidates:"

If you have to wait, you need to get the lock fixed. You should notice no delay with a percussion, and a good, tuned flint will be difficult to discern from a fast flint. The click-wait-boom thing is not a properly tuned rifle.

I'm still putting my vote in for PRB in the .54, using black powder. The performance difference won't be noticeable at open iron sight ranges, and the PRB is traditional.

Another vote for the .54 PRB. Much nicer and easier to shoot. (cheaper and easier to find too, if you don't cast).

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back