Caribou Gear Tarp

Getting into the zone

Akcabin

For me. Moose season is here n I'm antsy. I haven't been to our cabin since last moose season. Dealing with with a worn out body. But that doesn't mean that my mind is not in the outdoors.
I enjoy getting dropped off on a remote lake 2 miles from the cabin. The feeling inside me as I watch the plane break the water as it lifts. Knowing it's me n the world. Walking north I can lift my head n see the majestic Mt Denali and the Alaska range. The mighty Talkeetna mountains to my right.
I reach the trail head into the cabin. I have a trailer that I towed out there a couple years ago. I got stuck n had to unhook it. Yeah it's still there. The local wolves always leave me a present. Same corner every time. I can move that turd n it will magicly return. As I'm walking through the 4' undergrowth I'm looking for the cabin. And if the bears paid an unwelcome visit. All good.
I remove the bear boards on the deck n step inside. Grab a chair n sit down on the deck, take a slug of whiskey from the bottle sitting out on the end of a cabin log .
And marvel at how I'm sitting there. Middle of nowhere Alaska. Dreaming of all the memories to come. Feeling like the most blessed man in the world

Attachments

• 20210411_112603.jpg
    20210411_112603.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 2D7E74F8-2755-47C2-BCEC-580518FA238D.jpeg
    2D7E74F8-2755-47C2-BCEC-580518FA238D.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
For me. Moose season is here n I'm antsy. I haven't been to our cabin since last moose season. Dealing with with a worn out body. But that doesn't mean that my mind is not in the outdoors.
I enjoy getting dropped off on a remote lake 2 miles from the cabin. The feeling inside me as I watch the plane break the water as it lifts. Knowing it's me n the world. Walking north I can lift my head n see the majestic Mt Denali and the Alaska range. The mighty Talkeetna mountains to my right.
I reach the trail head into the cabin. I have a trailer that I towed out there a couple years ago. I got stuck n had to unhook it. Yeah it's still there. The local wolves always leave me a present. Same corner every time. I can move that turd n it will magicly return. As I'm walking through the 4' undergrowth I'm looking for the cabin. And if the bears paid an unwelcome visit. All good.
I remove the bear boards on the deck n step inside. Grab a chair n sit down on the deck, take a slug of whiskey from the bottle sitting out on the end of a cabin log .
And marvel at how I'm sitting there. Middle of nowhere Alaska. Dreaming of all the memories to come. Feeling like the most blessed man in the world
Damn, I was right there with ya on that walk. I could almost feel the burn of the whiskey.

Damn, I was right there with ya on that walk. I could almost feel the burn of the whiskey.
What a great little piece of literature! Get this poem published.

We use 1/2" plywood with 8d nails every 2" or so. My beautiful wife made them.
Yeah hanging out on the upper deck n having morning coffee from a perker on a cool crisp fall morning is nice. Actually just hanging out at the cabin is a good way to hunt as the cabin is in the middle of great moose habitat. Especially when it's dry out. I can stay concealed n be more quiet. And I can see above the undergrowth but still under the tree canopy on the first floor. And be kinda comfy.
Just makeing calls from the cabin.
In the zone. For me is becoming part of the environment. When still hunting I'm feeling the ground with my feet without looking down. Eyes n ears are focused. And my mind is in the game. No other thoughts other than what I am doing in the moment. But still taking a moment to enjoy the cool looking burl I'm near or watch an owl cruise through the forest as it hunts silently.
It's easier for me when I'm the cabin for weeks at a time. I'm on my time n closer to the woods time. I find myself lost frequently as I look up n don't recognize the area. And carry 2 compasses minimum.
I've been an outdoors person my whole life n feel good in the bush. Getting into a zone where the outside world doesn't matter.946D5DF6-9468-4F0C-AE6D-299FE75DCB51.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back