Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Getting into the points game

Rainer

So being that I'm Canadian and have kinda been ban from entering the US for the next 2-6 years because I worked for a medical marijuana company(I can be arrested at the border and be detained federally). I've decide to put on hold the OTC hunts and start a point collection. I'm looking at starting in Arizona, Colorado and Wyoming. I just bought my Arizona Elk point this afternoon, so its begun. I would think having up to 6 points for Elk, Deer and Pronghorn could get me some good opportunities. I will miss making the trips down south though.

I hope I picked a few good States to start in, whats your opinion?

Ok in Arizona it makes sense to apply for all species since you have to buy a license anyway. So make sure you apply for an antelope point in AZ cause its only another $15.

Now for the main question. I doubt you will have much better hunt in 6 years with 6 points then you can right now with zero in all those states. Point creep is alive everywhere.

I don't know any good tags you are guaranteed to draw for AZ elk right now with 6 points let alone 6 points 12 years from now. There are probably a few early archery tags and a lot of late archery tags you can draw with 6 points right now. Pronghorn you will have to get lucky. Deer maybe you could draw the Kaibab archery or a couse hunt.

Wyoming. I bet in 6 years the general elk tag will take close to 6 points. So I would plan on hunting the general for elk. 6 points should still get you a decent antelope tag. 6 points for deer is another tough one. You should be able to draw most of the region tags with 6 points. Some might start really creeping though when guys realize they don't have a chance to draw the top tags and start burning points.

Colorado. 6 elk points won't help a ton. Most of the elk units you can draw with 6 points or less right now aren't considered great units. They might have slightly less pressure than an otc hunt. Or they might be muzzy, 1st rifle, and 4th rifle in an otc unit. Most people don't think its worth the money to accrue antelope points in Colorado. Deer in Colorado I feel is one of the best options you have for a quality hunt if you hunt archery or muzzy. Most of the rifle hunts you will be able to draw will have otc elk hunters so it will probably be a little crowded.

Honestly when I look at how point creep is taking over in some states I get kind of depressed. My boy is just about old enough to start hunting most states and I almost think it will be better if I just buy him landowner tags. I don't see point creep ending anytime soon.

In Wyoming I'm mainly after Pronghorn, Deer and Elk. For sheep I'd rather spend my money on a raffle tickets for a governors tag in Arizona

Ok in Arizona it makes sense to apply for all species since you have to buy a license anyway. So make sure you apply for an antelope point in AZ cause its only another $15.

Now for the main question. I doubt you will have much better hunt in 6 years with 6 points then you can right now with zero in all those states. Point creep is alive everywhere.

I don't know any good tags you are guaranteed to draw for AZ elk right now with 6 points let alone 6 points 12 years from now. There are probably a few early archery tags and a lot of late archery tags you can draw with 6 points right now. Pronghorn you will have to get lucky. Deer maybe you could draw the Kaibab archery or a couse hunt.

Wyoming. I bet in 6 years the general elk tag will take close to 6 points. So I would plan on hunting the general for elk. 6 points should still get you a decent antelope tag. 6 points for deer is another tough one. You should be able to draw most of the region tags with 6 points. Some might start really creeping though when guys realize they don't have a chance to draw the top tags and start burning points.

Colorado. 6 elk points won't help a ton. Most of the elk units you can draw with 6 points or less right now aren't considered great units. They might have slightly less pressure than an otc hunt. Or they might be muzzy, 1st rifle, and 4th rifle in an otc unit. Most people don't think its worth the money to accrue antelope points in Colorado. Deer in Colorado I feel is one of the best options you have for a quality hunt if you hunt archery or muzzy. Most of the rifle hunts you will be able to draw will have otc elk hunters so it will probably be a little crowded.

Honestly when I look at how point creep is taking over in some states I get kind of depressed. My boy is just about old enough to start hunting most states and I almost think it will be better if I just buy him landowner tags. I don't see point creep ending anytime soon.

Great post.

AZ is going to experience major point creep. It's already begun. Those late rifle elk tags that everybody wants now days will take 10+ points as an NR before you know it. To think you will be rifle hunting every 5 years even if you have the loyalty point and hunter ed point is wishful thinking at best IMO.

I guess it's a good thing that i strictly bowhunt. It may lead to a few more opportunities

I disagree with some of these other posts. Yes - point creep will cause the points to rise, but what other option do you have? This is the system we're working with right now, and if you have the money, your best bet is to play the game. If you apply this year, there are a finite number of people ahead of you - that number cannot grow, it can only shrink. I thought about applying in Arizona in 2017, but I decided to hold off. I finally bought my first AZ point this year, and I kick myself for not jumping on earlier. I would rather spend the money now, and have the points, than look back in 6 years and be even further behind.

Yes, the points can be expensive - but if you have a good job and budget your money well it's not like they're going to break you. Plus, that money goes directly to conservation - so worst case scenario you're donating a few hundred dollars for wildlife.

As a NR in all states my view is pretty simple. If you want to hunt you should buy points, but be selective as its expensive. Having points will at least allow you to hunt the West but if point creep isn't too bad then its possible you could draw a good unit.

Excuse my bluntness, but applying for just a Bonus Point here in Arizona is dumb. People get drawn every year, though a slim chance, with 0 to minimum points.

You may think it's just not a good year with what's going on in your life, but the years keep slipping by and we don't get them back! Buying just a point is worse odds than buying a quick pick lottery ticket at your local convenience store (it really gets you nowhere).

If you get drawn, figure it out! You won't regret it ...

Depending on your desired elk unit, once you accumulate about 6 points the reality of point creep can be a rude awakening. No one seems to really understand point creep until you are knee deep in it and your point purchase is getting you nowhere.

This doesn't apply to all units but the possibility is there.

Last edited:
I disagree with some of these other posts. Yes - point creep will cause the points to rise, but what other option do you have? This is the system we're working with right now, and if you have the money, your best bet is to play the game. If you apply this year, there are a finite number of people ahead of you - that number cannot grow, it can only shrink. I thought about applying in Arizona in 2017, but I decided to hold off. I finally bought my first AZ point this year, and I kick myself for not jumping on earlier. I would rather spend the money now, and have the points, than look back in 6 years and be even further behind.

Yes, the points can be expensive - but if you have a good job and budget your money well it's not like they're going to break you. Plus, that money goes directly to conservation - so worst case scenario you're donating a few hundred dollars for wildlife.

Yep. If you want to hunt, just apply. Other options would be leftover/ OTC tags in some states. Wyoming still has a decent number of leftovers every year and I drew a second draw tag for Antelope last year. They are tough access units but I still punched my tag and would go again for sure. Take advantage of those types of hunts while you build points.

Montana, Wyoming and Utah (Deer) have general tags that you can apply for with 3 points or less as of this year and be pretty much guaranteed a draw. A general deer tag is about the only thing I would apply for in Utah though. Don't even bother with Nevada as a NR. I do have points in AZ now, but I also understand and tell everybody that it's a 10 year plan lol.

Another option may be Alaska depending on where you live in Canada. You may need a guide because of citizenship though, not 100% on that one.

OP stated he can't enter the U.S. For a few years so his only option is buying points. I put in for AZ elk with one point because who knows but I won't put in for other hunts because it isn't a possibility for me travel wise or budget for the OOS tag and other expenses. I am an AZ resident so tag cost is reasonable and travel minimal cost.

A "few" hundred.. �� gotta pay to play

Excuse my bluntness, but applying for just a Bonus Point here in Arizona is dumb. People get drawn every year, though a slim chance, with 0 to minimum points.

You may think it's just not a good year with what's going on in your life, but the years keep slipping by and we don't get them back! Buying just a point is worse odds than buying a quick pick lottery ticket at your local convenience store (it really gets you nowhere).

If you get drawn, figure it out! You won't regret it ...

THIS ^^^^^^

At once a year and crappy odds, make the most of it. Throwing hundreds in the toilet for only a "point" is almost ridiculous.

Lots of good points in the posts above! I've burned my points on some decent hunts in the past and just recently started rebuilding for some improved trophy potential hunts in AZ and WY. I've been playing the points game for CO deer/turkey and WY elk/deer/pronghorn for years and just started putting in for AZ elk this year, I couldn't justify spending the additional cost of an AZ license for a point if I wasn't going to hunt that year. I will make a weekend trip down for an OTC archery coues hunt even if I don't draw an elk tag.

I actually see things different than Lv2hnt and Greenhorn; there are some species that I just apply for a point on (e.g. elk) due to the limited amount of time I have in my life right now and earnest desire to not want to make odds that much worse for folks that really have the burning desire to hunt. If I was applying as an easterner, I may not make this decision due to the low odds in drawing elk tags in a number of states out west and the simple statistics behind getting your name in the hat as much as possible but I live in Colorado and can hunt elk every year if I choose.

Back