Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gear list for late season Colorado mule deer hunt.

renello

Drew a tag for 4th season mule deer hunt. What is the best strategy or approach for this type of hunt? I will be passing smaller bucks. Unit is mix of public and private with elevations of 7k to 10k. Is a quad or side by side a good idea? Chains for tires on truck. With the limited number of tags and hunters is pressure even a real concern? I could go way in but during the rut a part of me thinks that being mobile and moving around to accessible glassing points better than hiking three miles and setting up tent camp. Find does and let the rut move the deer around? North central Colorado. My wife will be with me on the hunt, hoping she will draw same or similar type tag next few years. Thanks.

Be mobile and leave the atv at home. You could waste 3 days of a 5 day hunt real quick in country with zero deer. Having chains wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't expect to use them if you are smart about it. If it's iffy, park and walk. Good luck on your hunt!

The usefulness of a quad will depend on the unit and weather. Bring the chains. While there may not be many deer hunters, there will be 4th season elk hunters. The elk hunters can be a good source of info.

My focus during 4th season hunts is usually on the lowest elevation land I can access. Normally in Colorado, the lower you go the less public land so you may be hunting smaller parcels. ATV is your call since none of us know what area you are hunting. Are there a lot of Forest Service or BLM roads that will help you gain access in a more convenient manner than using your truck? If so then bring it. I've been on a 4th season hunt where we got burned by watching a large group of does for days waiting for bucks to show up that never did, so I would glass largest area possible while keeping an eye on any does you may see.

I've seen 4th seasons where the deer are at 12,000 feet and others where starting at 2nd season all the deer were in town, golf courses, agg fields starting 2nd season and you couldn't get at them.

Like other's have said stay mobile and have several spots at various elevations marked out on your map. It's been a ridiculous wet spring/summer, so if we don't get a ton of snow early expect those deer to be up super high.

I would love to share unit but I find that everyone does search for unit information and the last time I shared unit information in Wyoming about some big mule deer I saw on an antelope hunt the unit became much harder to draw the following years. Not sure there is a correlation but I am not taking any chances as I am hoping my wife draws this unit next year if it is as good as I am hoping it is. Thanks for the input, great advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back