MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gas mileage 3/4 ton gas burners

A couple years back, my wife had a 2006 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi in it. That thing sucked big time. It averaged 9mpg pulling nothing.
I've heard some pretty decent #s on some of the newer 2500 chevy gassers. No first hand experience with them though.

I have a 2022 Ram 3500 6.4 hemi I’ve been about 11.5 this winter on mixed driving. I got it 15 on round trip from Minnesota to Arizona this fall. I’d think a 3/4 would be similar

I have a 2022 Ram 3500 6.4 hemi I’ve been about 11.5 this winter on mixed driving. I got it 15 on round trip from Minnesota to Arizona this fall. I’d think a 3/4 would be similar
I have a 2017 6.4, long bed crew cab and mine is about the same.

You looking at a new one? I ask because a lot of the trucks in the last couple years have upgraded to trams with 8 or more speeds letting you run less rpm at higher speeds. But at the end of the day it's still a truck not a prius it's gonna burn some gas.

You looking at a new one? I ask because a lot of the trucks in the last couple years have upgraded to trams with 8 or more speeds letting you run less rpm at higher speeds. But at the end of the day it's still a truck not a prius it's gonna burn some gas.
Maybe. I have an 05 Chevy and the 4 wheel drive went out. Not really sure how severe it is. Can’t get it into a shop anytime soon. It’s basically worthless to me without 4x4 here this time of year.

What do you pull? I would look at the towing capacity you need and go as small as you can if you’re worried about gas mileage in a 3/4 ton. Quite a difference in some of the newer engines being offered.

What do you pull? I would look at the towing capacity you need and go as small as you can if you’re worried about gas mileage in a 3/4 ton. Quite a difference in some of the newer engines being offered.
Skid steer. I’ve had diesels, but I can’t justify the added cost. Been pulling it with a 2005 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 and it does fine.

A work truck is a 2018 F250 with 6.2 gas and gets 12.5 average over all driving. I've been looking at upgrading to a 3/4 ton for my personal truck. Keep going between gas/diesel. From a MPG standpoint, driving 12K miles per year, assuming 12 mpg gas vs 17 mpg diesel the annual gas bill is a wash. I tow a 28' camper about 1000 - 1500 miles per year. One day, I lean towards gas. The next, diesel.

Someone is sure to chime in soon about their Eco-boost that gets 19mpg pulling a 10k trailer at 75…”all day long”.

I’m just tagging in because I’m considering a gasser for my next 3/4 ton truck - diesel is just ridiculous anymore.

Someone is sure to chime in soon about their Eco-boost that gets 19mpg pulling a 10k trailer at 75…”all day long”.

I’m just tagging in because I’m considering a gasser for my next 3/4 ton truck - diesel is just ridiculous anymore.
Not even close. I'm at least in the 20s pulling my GD solitude 375, anything is "1/2 ton towable" if you're brave enough.

My stepdad has a 21 2500 Ram, not sure what engine though. Said the other day he was getting about 11-13 most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back