Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gas mileage 3/4 ton gas burners

2022 F250 with the 7.3 gas. Just drove to Maine and back last weekend. Pretty much empty with an ARE cap on it. Mix of interstate and secondary roads : 15.8 mpg.

Maybe. I have an 05 Chevy and the 4 wheel drive went out. Not really sure how severe it is. Can’t get it into a shop anytime soon. It’s basically worthless to me without 4x4 here this time of year.

What symptoms? Often it is just the actuator on side of transfercase. $100.

I replaced my transfercase this year as it was slipping when I had my truck chained up. Cost me $1800 for a new not a reman from merchant auto.

Mine is a gmc with the 8.1 big block.
I am considering upgrading to an 8.8 crate engine as my truck is nearing 190k.

I get about 10mpg whether I am towing 0 or 10k.
Watching crazy truck prices and quality, I plan to add parts to mine.

What symptoms? Often it is just the actuator on side of transfercase. $100.

I replaced my transfercase this year as it was slipping when I had my truck chained up. Cost me $1800 for a new not a reman from merchant auto.

Mine is a gmc with the 8.1 big block.
I am considering upgrading to an 8.8 crate engine as my truck is nearing 190k.

I get about 10mpg whether I am towing 0 or 10k.
Watching crazy truck prices and quality, I plan to add parts to mine.
The buttons light up like it’s in 4x4, but it’s not. I lost 4 high first then 4 low. The transfer case was leaking, but I had been keeping fluid in it.

Leaking is probably from pump case rub. Very common. I priced out new transfer case for what I found to be cheaper than messing with rebuild. I could have done it myself but my brother offered, then billed for a couple other repairs I had done.

Leaking is probably from pump case rub. Very common. I priced out new transfer case for what I found to be cheaper than messing with rebuild. I could have done it myself but my brother offered, then billed for a couple other repairs I had done.
Had the same in an 06 iirc.

Most of the 2010-2018 era 2500’s will all be around 7-10 towing, 12-16 highway. The newer ones should in theroy net 2-3 more mpg.

And on half tons towing skidsteers…

Attachments

• 5FBDCC0E-420D-495B-99ED-D6EF5FC7BBC8.jpeg
    5FBDCC0E-420D-495B-99ED-D6EF5FC7BBC8.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 29
2017 F250 w/ 6.2, 3.73's, and heavy agressiveish 275-70-18's. I get 11 or so around town, 13 or so on the highway, and 7 or so towing at or a bit over rated capacity.

When I really want to bench race fuel economy stats, I personally check Fuelly. The more reports for a given configuration, the more I trust it.

Yes, I'm a dork.

2020 Ram 2500 PW with the 6.4.

16-17 mpg highway empty. 12 mpg in town.

Haven't pulled anything over 7k for extended period of time.

I've owned it only 2 years. No issues.

I wouldn’t pull a skiddy with a half ton either but the fact is there are a lot of 3/4 - 1 tons getting used as highway drivers not pulling crap getting crappy gas mileage. Sometimes for some I think it’s small d syndrome. You will save a bunch of gas going with a half ton if you don’t really need a 3/4 ton. Op, this is not directed at you.

I wouldn’t pull a skiddy with a half ton either but the fact is there are a lot of 3/4 - 1 tons getting used as highway drivers not pulling crap getting crappy gas mileage. Sometimes for some I think it’s small d syndrome. You will save a bunch of gas going with a half ton if you don’t really need a 3/4 ton. Op, this is not directed at you.
I agree, but he said he pulls a skiddy with it. 🤷‍♂️

Well you sound fun.

Someone is sure to chime in soon about their Eco-boost that gets 19mpg pulling a 10k trailer at 75…”all day long”.

I’m just tagging in because I’m considering a gasser for my next 3/4 ton truck - diesel is just ridiculous anymore.
Ha! I have a '21 3.5 Ecoboost. It gets great mileage when not pulling. But if you are pulling, it drops and doesnt get any better than anything else I would suspect. No way will it get 19 pulling 10K at 75. But it will get over 20 not pulling.

Ha! I have a '21 3.5 Ecoboost. It gets great mileage when not pulling. But if you are pulling, it drops and doesnt get any better than anything else I would suspect. No way will it get 19 pulling 10K at 75. But it will get over 20 not pulling.
If you’re not pulling I think the ecoboosts are the ticket. Not sure what is the ticket pulling.

2022 Chevy 2500 6.6 gas getting about 11.5 around town and about 15 to 16 cruising. Have only towed our 8,000 pound camper once so far and got around 8 to 9 from Chicago to Grand Junction. That same trip out, got 4 to 6 mph with our 2013 6.0.

Work truck is a 2023 Chevy 6.6 with the single cab and 8’ bed…getting around 13 mpg but I’ve only had it a month so we’ll see. My other truck is a 2021 tundra getting 13 mpg. Love the 3/4 ton for pulling trailers…doesn’t get pushed around as much when braking and cornering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back