Caribou Gear

Gary Paulsen Passed Away

Hatchet was the start of my book reading enjoyment. I actually wrote a letter to Gary Paulsen and got a response! Albeit from his wife on his behalf, but it came with a picture of him with his dogs autographed. It was the coolest thing I can remember about elementary school!.

They don't make 'em like Gary. Glad to see so many Hunt Talkers got as much enjoyment out of his books as I did

Even though I was a voracious reader as a kid, I sped through all his books with a little extra enthusiasm. I remember me and my small friend group all reading Hatchet in the 4th grade then we all built “survival kits.”

As a learning aid last year (during online school), we did family book club with my nephews. When it was my turn to pick a book it was Hatchet. Then, during a family camping trip, he got a hatchet if his very own.

Like many, his books helped push my childhood out into the woods, where childhood belongs. I will forever be grateful for that.

I guess I'm in the minority. I remembered liking Hatchet as a kid, but I just read it to my daughter last year and found the story still good but the writing left me wanting more.

Sad to lose a kind man who gave a lot of what's lacking in kids today. I had the pleasure of meeting him maybe 12 years ago. He was on a stop in his sailboat in Morro Bay California. He was in his 70s and sailing from Canada planning to sail around south America. He was very kind and humble, and fun to talk to.

Definitely my favorite author growing up. It’s been a while since I was in the world of books, but I will have to see if he put anything out in the last 15 years so I can catch up. Not many books of his that I haven’t read.

Dang. One of my favorites, and without a doubt the author who got me to become a voracious reader as a kid. When I taught sixth grade, I always began the year with Harris and Me, which is still one of the funniest books of all-time. The man lived an incredible life, and has left an equally incredible legacy in his writing. Rest In Peace, Gary.
That one is hilarious! I still think of that book.😂😂😂

This man played a giant part in my child hood. When I was sick I always read the Hatchet and another kid in the outdoors book My Side of the Mountain. RIP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back