Gary Paulsen Passed Away

Nameless Range

I saw this on Facebook this morning, and it gave me pause.

A great writer who introduced a lot of the world who also happened to be young to outdoor adventure. He got kids like me to read a book. I think one reason it brought about feelings in me is that last month my son and his grandfather read “Hatchet” together, and both enjoyed it.

Dang. One of my favorites, and without a doubt the author who got me to become a voracious reader as a kid. When I taught sixth grade, I always began the year with Harris and Me, which is still one of the funniest books of all-time. The man lived an incredible life, and has left an equally incredible legacy in his writing. Rest In Peace, Gary.

Absolutely loved his books growing up. I do believe his works certainly helped my love for reading grow.

So many good books other than “Hatchet”. The “Mr. Tuckett” series were also some of my favorites.
X2

Hatchet, Far north, and all the Tucket books.

my son who is now 11 has the complete hatchet series. what a great writer who is responsible for getting many young people outside.

Damn, I read everything he wrote. Might have been my only book reports that were sincerely written and not partially copped off cliffs. Paulsen should be credited with driving axe head sales. I destroyed a few as a kid and no, couldn’t ever get useful sparks.

If you haven't read his account of learning to run sled dogs and running the Iditarod, you should definitely read it. Especially the chapter titled, "Major Wrecks."

He was my second favorite author growing up. My first was McManus and we lost him recently, too.

I read Hatchet many times and just gave a copy to my 10 year old nephew for his birthday a few months ago. I heard he couldn’t put it down. RIP Gary Paulsen. Thanks for sharing your talents with us all.

Absolutely loved his books growing up. I do believe his works certainly helped my love for reading grow.

So many good books other than “Hatchet”. The “Mr. Tuckett” series were also some of my favorites.
My mom was a 4th grade teacher and taught Mr. Tucket… loved that series

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back