Garmin Oregon 450

Drake4

Opinions from you guys that use this model? Good, bad... How do you like the touch screen? Is the only difference between the 450 and 450t, the built in maps?

I thought I remembered a couple guys here who were using this model.
Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks.

I have the 450t and like it alot.It has topo maps in it.Love the touch screen it makes the unit a sinch to navigate.Its nice to even have the easy set alarm clock on it if one is not available on your hunts.This unit along with montana mapping chips really helped me out west

Guys on this site recommended the Oregon to me two months ago. I went to Cabelas to check it out and I was very impressed. The touch screen is very nice compared to my old button style GPS. Screen was nice and bright and was of good size. I am waiting to see if there is a sale on them as I do not need on until later this spring.

I would also like to know if the map is worth the extra money or just download your own maps.

good luck to all
the dog

Guys on this site recommended the Oregon to me two months ago. I went to Cabelas to check it out and I was very impressed. The touch screen is very nice compared to my old button style GPS. Screen was nice and bright and was of good size. I am waiting to see if there is a sale on them as I do not need on until later this spring.

I would also like to know if the map is worth the extra money or just download your own maps.

good luck to all
the dog

Cabelas has them $150 off right now.

I like having the maps preloaded since it covers the entire US, with the rough equivalent of a 1:100,000 BLM map (minus the land status info). Great when dipping your toes in anew place you may not spend much time in.

But for hunting use, you will need to download free maps that are more detailed, or purchase other map products, IMO.

The DVD equivalent of the preloaded maps you would get in the 450T is only $99. Since cabelas has the plain 450 on sale for $250 you come out ahead buying it and loading the DVD versus buying the 450t?

Drake the oregeons are great. I bought mine with out the preloaded map. Then went to gpsfiledepot.com and downloaded all the maps I wanted. If your hunting public ground they can open alot of doors to small parcels of land. We were able to navigate a small quarter mile wide piece of state ground, to get into ground few people could hunt in Wy. They are worth the money to know where you are at.

Cabelas has them $150 off right now.

That's for the 450. They have the 450t for $50 off, too. But as Khunter said, if the 450 + DVD = 450t for less, you come out smelling like a rose. I'm thinking about one too though I hardly use my GPS. I need to get more map friendly.

Last edited:
gps maps.com makes a nice state by state map,plugs into most garmins,good details,property boundrys ect.I would get that instead of paying for the garmin mapping chip.

Curious if anyone bit the bullet and got an Oregon...whatever the model is? Prices are dropping on the 450's now that the 550's are out.

Yes, I did buy the Oregon 450 (without maps) and I am VERY HAPPY. The touch screen is great along with all the other features. NOTE: get re-chargable batteries as this unit sucks batteries down very quickly.

Good luck to all
the dog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back