Gardner shutdown

There needs to be quotas removed on killing wolves in 313 and quotas smacked down on the numbers of elk killed by the Johnsons.. Pretty simple.

I didnt make it over to the meeting last night, a friend had dropped off a young buck 2 days before that I was finishing processing and another called as he was going back across the state to share some pheasants, so I made venison fajitas while we exchanged conservation research and news, instead of getting to the meeting. Based on the articles that had been showing up on my feed, MOGA is taking a strong position against this and was there. Apparently it was packed there.

Packed house in Livingston worried about elk hunting in Gardiner

I was at the meeting. I went in with a completely open mind. By the end, I was convinced that the limited permits is the way to go and the best way to increase the mature bull numbers that they are looking for. Just my opinion though.

I thought the biologist did a fantastic job of presenting the data, trends, options, future predictions and recommendations. Bottom line is you are never going to convince the majority of the folks in that room no matter what data you present. The amount of personal disrespect shown by some of those a-holes in attendance was pretty surprising...or maybe not.

The biologist did talk about the 6-point restriction option that Randy has mentioned here. She has had several detailed and lengthy conversations with the lead biologist in BC. She convinced me that the 6-point restriction would not accomplish the goals that they are trying to achieve in 313 due to various reasons including season dates/structure, herd dynamics, migration patterns, terrain, habitat, etc. All being different in the Gardiner basin than in BC. It was nice to see that FWP had considered many other options before recommending the limited permits.

I have hunted Gardiner off and on over the course of my 20+ year hunting history in MT. It's sad to see it come to this, but after the detailed presentation last night, I'm in full support.

And like others have stated on here...It actually would not hurt my feelings one bit if that POS outfitter went out of business. Treat people how you expect to be treated. He needs to look square in the mirror if he is curious about what factors have contributed to mature bull decline.

I thought the presentation was ok. I liked the suggestion by a gentlemen in the front with combining some of the alternatives. But, the meeting was not about public input and that was made clear at the beginning of the meeting. I guess they just wanted to explain themselves to the public before it is proposed? Which is fine and they didn't have to hold the meeting they did last night if they didn't want to.
I wouldn't be opposed for it to be limited for two seasons if there was a clause in the proposal that it would be opened back up to unlimited permit or general season after the bull to cow ratio came back up.
Unfortunately, historically across the west, once a unit goes to limited entry it never comes back. And I see that being the case here in Gardiner.

I wonder how the crowds will be the first year after the limited entry is lifted... as if that place wasn't nutty enough.

How many hunters will be displaced? As in will be hunting elsewhere once the LE plan goes into effect? they probably won't stray too far.

One of the articles I read about this stated that 10 bulls per 100 cows was just the right number for a healthy heard. Is that the number they manage for?

I wonder how the crowds will be the first year after the limited entry is lifted... as if that place wasn't nutty enough.

I doubt it will be any different than any other place in SW MT. I've helped buddies the last week of the season the last two years down there and was shocked at how few people I saw off the road and how many mature bulls we saw.

How many hunters will be displaced? As in will be hunting elsewhere once the LE plan goes into effect? they probably won't stray too far.

One of the articles I read about this stated that 10 bulls per 100 cows was just the right number for a healthy heard. Is that the number they manage for?

I believe the number of people with the unlimited tag this year was 1200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back